Don't tell old firm name of new firm - why?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Olive83

Don't tell old firm name of new firm - why?

Postby Olive83 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:45 am

I've been advised that if and when making a lateral move as an associate between firms, not to tell your old firm the name of the new when quitting - to wait until settled in. I have heard this from recruiters and from CSO. Genuinely curious - what's the wisdom behind this?

bah-humbug

Re: Don't tell old firm name of new firm - why?

Postby bah-humbug » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 pm

I've never heard of anyone refusing to tell so I think it is sort of ridiculous advice. theoretically perhaps becuase they would try to talk you out of it I assume. Is this coming from recruiter who has vested interest in you going becuase they get paid?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:58 pm

It's kind of a weird convention. At my 1L summer PI job, during a lunch talk an attorney told us all these brutal details about the trials she won but wouldn't tell us she worked at SNR Denton before she left.

Also, your firm bio is going to be the first thing that shows up in a google search. It makes no sense not to tell them.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:10 am

Every time an email blast goes out that says X attorney is leaving or joining, it lists the firm they are leaving or joining. I call BS on this advice.

Olive83

Postby Olive83 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:06 am

Yeah, it seems like odd advice, given that people will figure it out pretty easily once you leave, but it's generally been said not to give the new firm name before the first day at the new firm, after which I was told one can say.

I didn't think about the idea that telling may create the possibility of being talked out of leaving. That must be the rationale. Still seems silly though.

deadlinguo

Postby deadlinguo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Weird advice. The name of your employer is practically public knowledge, whether it be the firm's website, your LinkedIn profile, your school's alumni database, etc. I think the state bar has a database too.

Return to “Legal Employment”