Wouldn't a lawyer see through transparent "networking"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
johnpierce14

Wouldn't a lawyer see through transparent "networking"

Postby johnpierce14 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:44 am

Just saw the thread about networking. It said not to ask for a job, but instead, say something like, "Hey I know XXX. You know XXX. I'm thinking about doing litigation, so what's that like? Do you go to court? What's that like?"

Wouldn't an educated, T-14 Law Review Gunner see through that awful pretense and realize I just want a job? Why should I be shy about that? Of course I want a job. I'm a full grown man. I want to work. If I worked for a firm I bet I'd be just as good as the next guy. No better, no worse. Why is that not good enough?

"Hey. So I'm interested in uh, business law. So, what is drafting an M&A like?"

This is like an episode of the Chris Farley show!

So, do you, um, work a lot of hours? What do you do in your spare time? Do you um, have, hobbies? How about those Orioles? Um, they could use better relief pitching I think. Wow we're really connecting here.

Don't people to whom I am "reaching out" on the pretense of tenuous social connections have people they want to help? Like, people they actually know? Not some rando coming in hot with some stupid ice breaker? Seems weird.

MY NEW CAREER GOAL: I want to be successful to the point where random e-mail me awkwardly trying to "network" and I write them back saying this is rude, you're blacklisted, how dare you bother me and ask I favor I don't even know you.

I don't mean to flippant but what is an actual organic way to do this????

MoonDreamer

Re: Wouldn't a lawyer see through transparent "networking"

Postby MoonDreamer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:06 am

It's like dating. How do you get a woman to ultimately go with it? Afterall she knows u just want sex. Same theory. If you haven't figured that one out, you probably won't figure this one out either

johnpierce14

Postby johnpierce14 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:10 am

MoonDreamer wrote:It's like dating. How do you get a woman to ultimately go with it? Afterall she knows u just want sex. Same theory. If you haven't figured that one out, you probably won't figure this one out either

I've made love to seven women, so should I expect about 7 firm offers?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:51 am

johnpierce14 wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:It's like dating. How do you get a woman to ultimately go with it? Afterall she knows u just want sex. Same theory. If you haven't figured that one out, you probably won't figure this one out either

I've made love to seven women, so should I expect about 7 firm offers?

yes, but you'll have to mass mail the equivalent of all the women you have ever made a pass at. GL with postage.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:42 am

OP seems like:

Return to “Legal Employment”