St. Louis Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kl10qm

St. Louis Legal Market

Postby kl10qm » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:31 pm

I am looking seriously at the St. Louis market. Not coming from a St. Louis school (other Midwestern school), but have significant ties (lived there, family there, go back at least five times a year to visit/hang out in the city). What is TLS's perception of the St. Louis market and its firms (Bryan Cave, Lewis Rice, Greensfelder etc.). What should I emphasize during OCI interviews?

anonymous2012

Re: St. Louis Legal Market

Postby anonymous2012 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:35 pm

What high school did you go to? That's the StL legal market in a nutshell.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:39 pm

emphasize ties.

kl10qm

Postby kl10qm » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:42 pm

Yea, I know that (my Dad still goes on about his high school, and when I go and visit everyone wants to know where I went to high school). I was raised there in elementary school, then moved about an hour away in Southern/Central Illinois right before middle school, so I didn't go to a St. Louis high school. Does that automatically preclude me from being competitive there?

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:46 pm

kl10qm wrote:Yea, I know that (my Dad still goes on about his high school, and when I go and visit everyone wants to know where I went to high school). I was raised there in elementary school, then moved about an hour away in Southern/Central Illinois right before middle school, so I didn't go to a St. Louis high school. Does that automatically preclude me from being competitive there?

Of course it won't preclude you, but that's an easy topic to talk about at an interview that you're missing out on. emphasize in other ways--if you really like the city and want to end up there, just be honest and explain why.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:48 pm

I am also from downstate Illinois, and I went to WUSTL so that I could work in STL. Had pretty good 1L grades for the market, networked my ass off, and I think I'm a pretty good interviewer. Got a few big firm CBs, but the only offers I got were with a plaintiff's firm and a midlaw firm. Meanwhile I got offers in other midwestern cities where I'd barely set foot prior to my CB.

I'm just an anecdote, sure. But I think it's pretty representative. I don't know anyone working STL biglaw from WUSTL who doesn't have strong ties to the city or a wife here. It's an insular city with a massive inferiority complex ("No, TELL US.... WHY do you want to f-ing be here?") Unless your grades are simply stellar or you have a really compelling reason to be here, I think it'll be an uphill battle.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:06 pm

As someone with very competitive grades at WUSTL but had never been to St. Louis before coming here, I did far better at getting interviews at OCI for non St Louis firms then I did the St Louis firms, even smaller markets where I had absolutely no ties. I'd love to stay in St Louis, but I'd be shocked if I managed to.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:06 pm

I think TCR here is yes, it's hard to prove ties; and you should have backups in other secondary markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:18 pm

just bumping a random thread to ask. how long does it generally take STL firms to get back to people about offers after a CB.

yes, i know this is completely unproductive but ty anyway

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:just bumping a random thread to ask. how long does it generally take STL firms to get back to people about offers after a CB.

yes, i know this is completely unproductive but ty anyway

It really depends on the firm. BC is the fastest and can respond within a day, but may take longer depending on the candidate. Most of the other large firms will take at least a week. Some of them wait until they've completed all callbacks and won't make offers until mid-late September.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 pm

ty, brother. your advice is credited. i am both reading tea leaves and mass mailing.

edit: ty anon 2. i appreciate the sense of community we have going in this thread here. helpful advice. helpful answers. you all are wonderful people.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:30 pm

midwest is best.

but fuck st louis

mw115

Postby mw115 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Question: Isn't STL the major city for most people in S. Ill.? It seems weird that a person in STL wouldn't recognize being from S. Ill. as ties.

As a comparison, if someone from say, Beaumont wanted to work in Houston - it would be assumed the person has ties to the city since Houston is the closest big city to Beaumont.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Couple things to add to the discussion....

It can take a long time to hear back after your CB. They'll give offers and rejections then hold some people in between while they wait to see if the offers are accepted. Some firms (Polsinelli) may never get back to you...

Also, note that Armstrong Teasdale interviews way later than the rest of the firms

Return to “Legal Employment”