How to break into Secondary Midwestern Markets?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to break into Secondary Midwestern Markets?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:02 am

I am currently at a Midwestern T14, slightly above median grades, and secondary journal. I am origionally from the Midwest (northern Illinois - not Chicago) and want to work in the region after law school. I am also in a same-sex marriage, and thus would like to go to a State that gives my spouse and I rights (MN, IA, and to a lesser extent IL), but I do not want to go to Chicago (not a big city fan).

Right now, I have bid on Minneapolis and St. Louis (live on the IL side) for our OCI, and will be doing a mass mail to Des Moines/Cedar Rapids/Omaha.

My question is, what is the best way to emphasize to firms in these cities that I would actually want to go there and stay there, even though I do not have ties to any of these cities? How would I be able to get that across in the interview (for MN) or in a cover letter (for IA/NE)? (this is more for MN and IA, as I do have ties to St. Louis)

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: How to break into Secondary Midwestern Markets?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:14 am

I would seriously reconsider bidding heavily on MN. Not that you cannot get there without ties but many firms will trash your résumé and or not take you seriously after interviews if you didn't grow up there or go to college there. I also wouldn't say you want MN because you don't like big cities. Many there will take that as an offense. The bottom line is that they fear people bouncing after a few years for their hometowns.

It is also a very small market with few SAs, the majority of which are taken by UMN students and the top 5% from the local lesser ranked schools. Sprinkle in t14 students from MN and you are fighting over scraps for the remaining slots. If you are diverse this could help a bit more. Only non tie people I know here are minorities. I have tried every way I could think of to convince them I wanted MN. Only thing that worked was to move there and say I'm here and not somewhere else.

FYI I bid there with no ties and it took a year of heavy networking in the state post grad to get the job I was after. Also lower t14 and ad with honors.

Best of luck!

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 pm

Why don't you just say you go to Northwestern. We all know you do.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 am

MoonDreamer wrote:Why don't you just say you go to Northwestern. We all know you do.

"Midwestern T-14."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 am

I'm from the midwest and know several partners from there. I'll just say that it will be TOUGH to break in if you don't have any apparent, immediately recognizable ties to the region. Your grades aren't that good, and you do go to a T14, but it won't make up for lack of ties. A lot of firms will look askance at you.

I would reconsider your bidding locations?

If your spouse or some family member lives there, you can try to play that up hard.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:49 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:Why don't you just say you go to Northwestern. We all know you do.

"Midwestern T-14."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Am I missing something here? ... UMich, UChi?

Also, your bidding strategy is destined for failure OP. Firms are going to look for ties in secondary markets.

Return to “Legal Employment”