What To Do Other Than Mass Mail

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What To Do Other Than Mass Mail

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:50 am

I have a lot of OCI interviews coming up (about 25-30). I mass mailed every 100+ firm in my major markets who are not coming with no success. I have high grades from a t-14, and was wondering what else to do (I'm not in either of my markets for the summer). I don't want to disclose the school or markets for anonymity purposes.

I do not think I'm a great interviewer, and have very little experience and can't get a single mass mail bite. My documents cannot be bad because I did very well with getting OCI interviews using these same documents.

My worst case plan is if I get no offered I would immediately drop out, and use my pre-law #s to get a full ride somewhere else. My law school is GPA is markedly higher than my UG gpa but it makes no sense to go 200k in the hole if I fail at OCI. I figure I could at least get the same class rank at a TT, and then start my own practice after graduation. I know hanging a shingle is normally a terrible idea, but I have past proven success at opening my own businesses that suggests I'm more likely to succeed at this than most. I would ideally like to work for a large firm, but want to be smart if that becomes >50% unlikely.

Hobbes89

Re: What To Do Other Than Mass Mail

Postby Hobbes89 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:53 am

If you have high grades from a T-14 and 25 screeners, relax and work on your interviewing - as long as you interview well you'll be fine (and that you've identified this as a weakness ahead of time means that you have no excuse not to be spending as much as time possible fixing that).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi Hobbes, I do not know if I am bad at interviewing. Objectively, I am very personable and able to relate to people from all different socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds. However, I don't know what I'm supposed to be for these interviews because I can't get them! Is there a book? I am very good at making small talk at a bus stop, and very poor at coming off as serious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi Hobbes, I do not know if I am bad at interviewing. Objectively, I am very personable and able to relate to people from all different socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds. However, I don't know what I'm supposed to be for these interviews because I can't get them! Is there a book? I am very good at making small talk at a bus stop, and very poor at coming off as serious.

I'd say that's a much harder skill to cultivate than the skill of sounding professional/coming up with answers to more straightforward questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi Hobbes, I do not know if I am bad at interviewing. Objectively, I am very personable and able to relate to people from all different socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds. However, I don't know what I'm supposed to be for these interviews because I can't get them! Is there a book? I am very good at making small talk at a bus stop, and very poor at coming off as serious.

I'd say that's a much harder skill to cultivate than the skill of sounding professional/coming up with answers to more straightforward questions.

What is it that you look at to do this - is there a book? It seems that connecting with an individual is all about not just giving "cookie cutter" responses, but that professionalism is very much about such BS responses.

And what do I do besides practicing for interviews? How much conversation is appropriate during these interviews - can I ask the interviewer where they are from, delve into football/restaurants, etc.? Am I just supposed to be a dork responding to dorky questions?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What is it that you look at to do this - is there a book? It seems that connecting with an individual is all about not just giving "cookie cutter" responses, but that professionalism is very much about such BS responses.

And what do I do besides practicing for interviews? How much conversation is appropriate during these interviews - can I ask the interviewer where they are from, delve into football/restaurants, etc.? Am I just supposed to be a dork responding to dorky questions?

You've got to feel it out and understand whether it would be appropriate given the personality of the interviewer. The short answer is--it depends. And yes, you can talk about non-law related topics for as long as they engage you. If they engage you about sports--go for it. At the interview stage they are looking for fit/people they can stand being around. Discussing their interests is a great way of doing it. Just don't steer the conversation there awkwardly on your own.

Return to “Legal Employment”