2013 SA Offer Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 SA Offer Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:V50, no offer.

13 reviews, 12 very positive. 2nd summer there. Both summer reviews were good. No indication would not receive offer.
Holy pants-crap. I didn't even finish one assignment this summer and got an offer.

1. V25 NYC.
2. Midsummer review consisted of generic positive and constructive criticisms.
3. When I determined I had not performed 100% on an assignment I asked for feedback and advice on how to do it better in the future. Had to do this twice.
4. Exit interview was purely a survey of my summer experience.
5. Received an offer.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

13 reviews, 12 very positive. 2nd summer there. Both summer reviews were good. No indication would not receive offer.
Holy pants-crap. I didn't even finish one assignment this summer and got an offer.
I'm sure anon no offer there really needed to know how easy it was to get an offer...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Was it a no offer or a cold offer? Can you name the firm?
Are you serious with this asking no offered anonymous people to out themselves?
Unless the firm is actively working to hook this person up with another job offer, yes the firm should be outed. That is one of the costs to the firm of blindsiding summers. The point of this thread/forum is in part to help students going through OCI right now make informed choices about their firms so that this won't happen to them, and firms learn not to do this to people.

Cheers

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Was it a no offer or a cold offer? Can you name the firm?
Are you serious with this asking no offered anonymous people to out themselves?
Unless the firm is actively working to hook this person up with another job offer, yes the firm should be outed. That is one of the costs to the firm of blindsiding summers. The point of this thread/forum is in part to help students going through OCI right now make informed choices about their firms so that this won't happen to them, and firms learn not to do this to people.

Cheers
This shit happens are every firm who only offer like 90-95%, which is most firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Greenberg Traurig (Miami) 100%. 7/7
Offers all given out on the last day during reviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:58 pm

I certainly was looking for firms with 100% offer rates when picking a firm last year. I also have no doubt that many people get genuinely and unfairly blind-sided by no-offers. That said, after working this summer, am I the only one who thinks that there are some summers in their class who were terrible and don't deserve offers? Isn't there something to be said about working at a place that maintains some sort of standard? Not trying to start shit, genuinely interested to hear if other people agree or disagree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:This shit happens are every firm who only offer like 90-95%, which is most firms.
To be fair, many (not all) times the no-offered person is not blindsided, i.e. turned stuff in late, didn't turn in assignments, behaved inappropriately after drinking. The fact that OP had no indication and apparently did not make any obvious mistakes...it doesn't seem right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:01 pm

hogan lovells NYC 100% (14/14) offer rate for fourth consecutive summer.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This shit happens are every firm who only offer like 90-95%, which is most firms.
To be fair, many (not all) times the no-offered person is not blindsided, i.e. turned stuff in late, didn't turn in assignments, behaved inappropriately after drinking. The fact that OP had no indication and apparently did not make any obvious mistakes...it doesn't seem right.
Could just be an economic decision? Maybe it economically made sense to offer x amount of people and he was y. I feel like TLS doesn't realize enough that these firms are businesses. OP could have been greatly liked, done good work, and it just didn't work out because of market forces.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:20 pm

alicrimson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Could just be an economic decision? Maybe it economically made sense to offer x amount of people and he was y. I feel like TLS doesn't realize enough that these firms are businesses. OP could have been greatly liked, done good work, and it just didn't work out because of market forces.
That's likely the cause more often than anything else, but it runs completely counter-intuitive to our instincts and culture to accept that we can reach the absolute cusp of professional success and fail for reasons completely outside our control.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's likely the cause more often than anything else, but it runs completely counter-intuitive to our instincts and culture to accept that we can reach the absolute cusp of professional success and fail for reasons completely outside our control.

OP here: was definitely frustrating because the beginning of summer we were told we would essentially have to be psychotic or do something completely fucked up to not get our offers - they were ours to lose. Office also had 100% offer rates for the past couple of years. Never given any indication in the evaluations or reviews that my work was not up to standards and would not be receiving an offer (was actually the opposite). Especially after being there for two summers, being completely blindsided sucked and am now scrambling to find a job - just not sure how to explain this in interviews. Am hoping for a meeting for some more clarification but will have to see what happens.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: To be fair, many (not all) times the no-offered person is not blindsided, i.e. turned stuff in late, didn't turn in assignments, behaved inappropriately after drinking. The fact that OP had no indication and apparently did not make any obvious mistakes...it doesn't seem right.

OP here: was definitely frustrating because the beginning of summer we were told we would essentially have to be psychotic or do something completely fucked up to not get our offers - they were ours to lose. Office also had 100% offer rates for the past couple of years. Never given any indication in the evaluations or reviews that my work was not up to standards and would not be receiving an offer (was actually the opposite). Especially after being there for two summers, being completely blindsided sucked and am now scrambling to find a job - just not sure how to explain this in interviews. Am hoping for a meeting for some more clarification but will have to see what happens.
did they seriously not give you any kind of explanation? i would ask them/demand one, and i'm pretty certain they would give you some kind of reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:26 pm

just that my "work product was not up to their standards" and that i had the one bad assignment

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
did they seriously not give you any kind of explanation? i would ask them/demand one, and i'm pretty certain they would give you some kind of reason.[/quote]

just that my "work product was not up to their standards" and that i had the one bad assignment[/quote]
you need to ask for more substantive feedback than that...just so you can adequately explain to your next firm why you didnt get an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I certainly was looking for firms with 100% offer rates when picking a firm last year. I also have no doubt that many people get genuinely and unfairly blind-sided by no-offers. That said, after working this summer, am I the only one who thinks that there are some summers in their class who were terrible and don't deserve offers? Isn't there something to be said about working at a place that maintains some sort of standard? Not trying to start shit, genuinely interested to hear if other people agree or disagree.
I think it's unfair to not offer a summer based on work product unless there is something seriously, seriously wrong. I don't know if there are many corporate-focused people here, but trying to figure out transactional work is hard, especially given how poorly law school prepares you for that work. Law firms should have standards, but only after some guidance and training. I know my work product sucked this past summer, but I honestly didn't know how to do a better job. Luckily, my firm knew that and was generous in giving offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 pm

PH NYC, 100% offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:29 am

Medium-smallish law firm (35 attorneys) in a small market (150k city pop), but largest firm in that market. Was 1 of 5 SA's. Was told I "may" be the only offer they make this summer (sucks because I am good friends with one from school). It was insinuated that the no-offers were based on work product & the firm is back @ OCI this fall interviewing 3L's.. so yeah...

Offer was made at lunch by the managing partner and the details were waiting for me on my desk. Offer was made in my last week, but expires the week after I leave the firm I am working at now. (Total 8 weeks time to accept). They want me to sign a three year employment contract with a $10,000 stipulated damages clause.

I was really all about this firm until they made me this offer. Love the town. I was told the time limit & stipulated damages are non-negotiable.

The joys of small-city-law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Do no offer notifications typically go out at the same time as offers??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Going on a 2 week wait while the number of friends who got offers on the last day of their SAs keep pilin' up. Feelsbadman.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Going on a 2 week wait while the number of friends who got offers on the last day of their SAs keep pilin' up. Feelsbadman.
Ditto - really sucks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Medium-smallish law firm (35 attorneys) in a small market (150k city pop), but largest firm in that market. Was 1 of 5 SA's. Was told I "may" be the only offer they make this summer (sucks because I am good friends with one from school). It was insinuated that the no-offers were based on work product & the firm is back @ OCI this fall interviewing 3L's.. so yeah...

Offer was made at lunch by the managing partner and the details were waiting for me on my desk. Offer was made in my last week, but expires the week after I leave the firm I am working at now. (Total 8 weeks time to accept). They want me to sign a three year employment contract with a $10,000 stipulated damages clause.

I was really all about this firm until they made me this offer. Love the town. I was told the time limit & stipulated damages are non-negotiable.

The joys of small-city-law.
Is the clause only if you quit (or, and this would be sketchy as hell, does it apply if they fire you?) If the former, and if you end up wanting to quit, what's to stop you from just doing shitty work, showing up late, leaving early, etc until they fire you/let you leave without paying the damages?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hogan Lovells NYC 100% (14/14) offer rate for fourth consecutive summer.
Do you know if the other offices have followed that timetable? I'm getting really nervous now.

Quinn

New

Post by Quinn » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do no offer notifications typically go out at the same time as offers??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:51 am

no offer. v30. satellite office.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”