2013 SA Offer Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2013 SA Offer Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:18 am

The goal of this thread it to find out information w/r/t offers. Please try to be as detailed as possible (without outing yourself, of course).

1. Broad description of firm/market.
2. If you had a mid-summer review, how many reviews did you have and how were they (e.g., all positive, all positive with one negative, etc.)? If you had any negative reviews, please describe them.
3. If you had any negative reviews, did you go meet with the attorneys that gave you the negative reviews? If possible, did you try to fix whatever made the reviews negative?
4. If you had an exit review, how many new reviews did you have and how were they? Was there any indication that you'd be no-offered?
5. Did you receive an offer? If not, did the firm give you a reason?

1. V20 in a large secondary market.
2. I completed 7 projects and 6 of the reviews were very positive. My one negative review was because I mis-understood the assignment and only gave the attorney the law when he wanted me to apply the law to the facts of our case.
3. I met with the attorney, apologized, and re-did the memo.
4. I completed 9 more projects and all of my reviews were positive.
5. I received an offer.

Anonymous User

Re: 2013 SA Offer Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:31 am

1. V-25 firm in Silicon Valley. I did corporate work.
2. I did have one mid-summer review, but they told me hardly anything at all. They just said my work was great and what they expected of me. I heard nothing negative, but no one at my office heard anything negative.
3. N/A
4. Just one exit review where I got my offer, and all they said was that my work was good. No details provided.
5. Got an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:42 am

1. V-50 firm in Silicon Valley. IP.
2. Midsummer - Twelve reviews, all positive.
3. NA
4. Exit Interview - Twenty reviews, all positive. Everyone was offered.
5. Offer.

Mista Bojangles

Bronze

Post by Mista Bojangles » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Is it just me, or is the premise of this thread 1 part helpful information to 99 parts circlejerk?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:32 pm

If it is anonymous just name the firm. The only thing anyone cares about is who to bid on and the number of offers a firm makes. The rest is just pointless.

Why do you care about the number of reviews? If you are trying to correlate offers with reviews...why?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Is it just me, or is the premise of this thread 1 part helpful information to 99 parts circlejerk?
Change that to 0 parts info, and 100 circlejerking.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:26 pm

NYstate wrote:If it is anonymous just name the firm. The only thing anyone cares about is who to bid on and the number of offers a firm makes. The rest is just pointless.

Why do you care about the number of reviews? If you are trying to correlate offers with reviews...why?
+1

Just give us (1) the firm, (2) your offer status, and (3) whether your firm no-offered anyone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:12 pm

K&L Gates Boston - 100% (6/6)

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:12 am

TheFactor wrote:
NYstate wrote:If it is anonymous just name the firm. The only thing anyone cares about is who to bid on and the number of offers a firm makes. The rest is just pointless.

+1

Just give us (1) the firm, (2) your offer status,and (3) whether your firm no-offered anyone

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. V-50 firm in Silicon Valley. IP.
2. Midsummer - Twelve reviews, all positive.
3. NA
4. Exit Interview - Twenty reviews, all positive. Everyone was offered.
5. Offer.
I am an SA at a [near] 100% offer V-10 firm. I am now in week #12 with 9 other SAs. We work directly with associates and partners. While I have been to lunch with partners a dozen times, no one has ever given any of us a review. I have to ask what in the hell do they say (or ask) in a review? And who are they?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:14 am

1. V50 Texas
2. Midsummer review was just an informal meeting that consisted of "so far so good" with no particulars other than "everyone likes your stuff"
3. For the only assignment that had less than "that's what I was looking for" feedback, I met with the assigning attorney and talked through what I did right and what I could improve on. Learning opportunity etc.
4. Exit review was framed more of a "what did you like most/least about the summer program and how can we improve it" with a little generic information about offers (deadlines, NALP guidelines, etc.). Very cookie cutter. No indication about offer/no offer.
5. Received an offer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:16 am

dechert 100% firm-wide

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:23 am

I included the stuff on reviews to see if negative reviews can still result in offers. My apologies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 pm

The managing partner asked me into her office and asked if I liked it at the firm and if I wanted to work at the firm. She laid out the pay, benefits, etc. Then we discussed about what happens next year in ref to the bar. At the end of the day it was clear than all ten of us were offered followed by an announcement that there would be a celebratory party at Spargo.

Obviously I am excited but somehow I thought the offer procedure would be different. Meaning that there was no mention of an X number of days to decide, it was as simple as if you want it, we’re good. Again, I am fine with how it went down just curious if their offer procedure was atypical or mirrored other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:02 pm

Cooley no-offer :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cooley no-offer :(
office?

sheisrisen

New

Post by sheisrisen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 pm

iLaw wrote:The managing partner asked me into her office and asked if I liked it at the firm and if I wanted to work at the firm. She laid out the pay, benefits, etc. Then we discussed about what happens next year in ref to the bar. At the end of the day it was clear than all ten of us were offered followed by an announcement that there would be a celebratory party at Spargo.

Obviously I am excited but somehow I thought the offer procedure would be different. Meaning that there was no mention of an X number of days to decide, it was as simple as if you want it, we’re good. Again, I am fine with how it went down just curious if their offer procedure was atypical or mirrored other firms.
Probably no talk of the stuff in second para because most of that is covered by NALP guidelines: http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinc ... _Standards

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iLaw

New

Post by iLaw » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:06 pm

sheisrisen wrote:
iLaw wrote:The managing partner asked me into her office and asked if I liked it at the firm and if I wanted to work at the firm. She laid out the pay, benefits, etc. Then we discussed about what happens next year in ref to the bar. At the end of the day it was clear than all ten of us were offered followed by an announcement that there would be a celebratory party at Spargo.

Probably no talk of the stuff in second para because most of that is covered by NALP guidelines: http://www.nalp.org/fulltextofnalpprinc ... _Standards
Thanks. I can see where those guidelines could be very helpful, especially if you’re dealing with a firm offering a below scale salary. The policy is seemingly intended to provide the SA enough time to pursue OCI without having to immediately commit to an offer and for those juggling multiple offers. I guess during the recession it was an especially handy cookie-cutter policy to have around.

As a side question, anyone getting over $160K to start (or more than 3 vacation weeks)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cooley no-offer :(
office?
east coast office

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:35 pm

sheisrisen wrote:

My firm is pretty screwed up, it's an international firm so they don't follow NALP, I only have 30 days to decide. They won't even tell me my salary. I know the base salary is market but we also get a cost of living adjustment and everyone including the partners are claiming ignorance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 am

proskauer 100% offers

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:41 am

Getting worried. SA in Manhattan ended last week. All positive reviews and still heard nothing.
Question: Do the firms make their offers face to face at the exit review or on the last day?

A week has passed and have heard nothing, and getting quite nervous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sheisrisen wrote:

My firm is pretty screwed up, it's an international firm so they don't follow NALP, I only have 30 days to decide. They won't even tell me my salary. I know the base salary is market but we also get a cost of living adjustment and everyone including the partners are claiming ignorance.
Finally have the answer

Firm: Top London firm (can't say which one because there are so few of us)
Reviews: Very easy going pretty much just praise, very softball questions. One review in Mid-summer and one on the way out.
Offer: Handed out before the summer ended. Making the last week pretty easy.
Compensation: 230K

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 am

Jones Day NY 100% offers.

BigLaw_Lit

New

Post by BigLaw_Lit » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 am

Guys please post your class distribution in this thread http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=205050. If we can get enough people it may be really interesting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”