The Why law/ Why this firm question(s)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

The Why law/ Why this firm question(s)?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:42 am

I don't have a good answer to these questions.

1. Why law? My major in UG is not related to corporate law at all (sociology). It seems like the majority of people I've met don't have a background in anything related to corporate law, besides maybe econ. I feel like my major and background could lead me to a good "why criminal law" answer, but i don't really know how to tie it to "why corporate law", when in reality i don't know much about corporate law, except that they make enough money to pay my loans. So, what is your answer to "why law (corporate)"?

2.Why THIS firm/what areas of law do you want to practice? Again, i don't know much about corporate law. I don't want to claim I'm interested in MnA's, if i have no clue what they do. Are there any links out there that explain these areas of corporate law?

brotherdarkness

Re: The Why law/ Why this firm question(s)?

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:40 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:38 am

I had a similar problem. However, I worked before law school in DC doing regulatory analysis, and my 1L job was in litigation. So during OCI when I was going for corporate work and my resume was screaming something different, I talked about things that I took issue with in policy and litigation (e.g. tearing other people's work down rather than working together to build something that hopefully lasts). I also have a husband who is in business, so I talked about how his startup has been facing all sorts of legal challenges and that has sparked my interest in corporate. My answer probably wasn't the greatest, but it was enough to get me a job in corporate. Hopefully, that gives you some ideas.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I've always found that rather than looking for the optimal answer that someone might want to hear, it's best to start with your own honest answers to these sorts of questions. Why are you in law school? Why do you want to go to these firms? Forget about what fits with your resume. You must have some sort of actual, honest to god reason for doing these things, right?

Of course, if your answers are "I don't know" and "$160,000," then I guess you should resort to crowdsourcing your responses.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:02 pm

"It's prestigious. Good money. Reasonable hours. Low stress. Work/life balance. Intellectually stimulating work."

NJPitcher

Postby NJPitcher » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:13 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I've always found that rather than looking for the optimal answer that someone might want to hear, it's best to start with your own honest answers to these sorts of questions. Why are you in law school? Why do you want to go to these firms? Forget about what fits with your resume. You must have some sort of actual, honest to god reason for doing these things, right?

Of course, if your answers are "I don't know" and "$160,000," then I guess you should resort to crowdsourcing your responses.

This. Can you really not explain why you chose to go into law? You're not in an interview now, the answer doesn't have to be immediate, but take like 5 minutes and actually flush out why you've spent the last two+ years following the path that you're on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:53 pm

I also would like to hear answer to this question. I also do no come from a law background, am not doing corporate type work in my 1l summer job, and I am not familiar with the things Big law firms do (besides general things - like working in IP law, working in Mergers and Acquisitions)

I feel like if I'm asked why I would want to work for X firm, I really don't know why I would want to besides the prestige/money. I do however enjoy researching, enjoy writing (which I've worked SO hard to improve), and really do enjoy working hard and long hours. I'm usually passionate about whatever I do. These things would make me a good fit for any firm, working in any practice, but I somehow can't make it specific less general than that. Any tips?

potted plant

Postby potted plant » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also would like to hear answer to this question. I also do no come from a law background, am not doing corporate type work in my 1l summer job, and I am not familiar with the things Big law firms do (besides general things - like working in IP law, working in Mergers and Acquisitions)

I feel like if I'm asked why I would want to work for X firm, I really don't know why I would want to besides the prestige/money. I do however enjoy researching, enjoy writing (which I've worked SO hard to improve), and really do enjoy working hard and long hours. I'm usually passionate about whatever I do. These things would make me a good fit for any firm, working in any practice, but I somehow can't make it specific less general than that. Any tips?

Big law firms as a whole do pretty much everything, far beyond IP and M&A. But individual firms and offices are going to be stronger in certain practice areas. If you really have no idea what firms do you need to start researching. It can sometimes be hard to distinguish firms, but they are going to vary in size, general practice strengths, international presence, firm structure, culture, associate training, work assignment procedures etc.

Also, don't tell anyone, especially an interviewer, the bolded. It's unlikely they're going to believe you actually like long hours and are passionate about whatever. Probably worse if they do believe you because those don't strike me as particularly flattering qualities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Is it an acceptable answer to really discuss how you like providing quality service to clients as part of a "why law" answer? Like saying "when I interned at such and such firm in X practice group I got to see how an attorney could play an advisory role to their clients and how much clients valued quality legal advice. Then when I worked in this sales position, one of the most rewarding experiences for me was when I really went out of my way to meet client needs and would get repeat customers who would say they came back because of my quality service last time. This focus on client providing quality client service is what I would like to bring to your firm/this is why I'm intersted in working in law."

Obviously not that word for word, but is that an ok answer at all?

potted plant

Postby potted plant » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it an acceptable answer to really discuss how you like providing quality service to clients as part of a "why law" answer? Like saying "when I interned at such and such firm in X practice group I got to see how an attorney could play an advisory role to their clients and how much clients valued quality legal advice. Then when I worked in this sales position, one of the most rewarding experiences for me was when I really went out of my way to meet client needs and would get repeat customers who would say they came back because of my quality service last time. This focus on client providing quality client service is what I would like to bring to your firm/this is why I'm intersted in working in law."

It sounds a little rehearsed and a little generic. As you make clear in your answer, lots of jobs involve customer service, like sales, so it doesn't really answer the question of "why law." It also sounds a bit buzz-wordy with all of the mentions of "quality client service."

I really think you're over-thinking this, though. Did you intern at a firm before law school? Did you like it? Why can't you just say "I interned at xyz firm and I liked working in the legal profession, liked the type of work and found it challenging and engaging, enjoyed working with clients on legal matters..." They're probably not going to ask you "why law" anyway unless you have a work background in another field or you're K-JD and seem like you went to law school on a whim. If you've thought through going to law school and why you want to be a lawyer "why law" should be a softball question. Give your honest answer minus any unflattering details.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

potted plant wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it an acceptable answer to really discuss how you like providing quality service to clients as part of a "why law" answer? Like saying "when I interned at such and such firm in X practice group I got to see how an attorney could play an advisory role to their clients and how much clients valued quality legal advice. Then when I worked in this sales position, one of the most rewarding experiences for me was when I really went out of my way to meet client needs and would get repeat customers who would say they came back because of my quality service last time. This focus on client providing quality client service is what I would like to bring to your firm/this is why I'm intersted in working in law."

It sounds a little rehearsed and a little generic. As you make clear in your answer, lots of jobs involve customer service, like sales, so it doesn't really answer the question of "why law." It also sounds a bit buzz-wordy with all of the mentions of "quality client service."

I really think you're over-thinking this, though. Did you intern at a firm before law school? Did you like it? Why can't you just say "I interned at xyz firm and I liked working in the legal profession, liked the type of work and found it challenging and engaging, enjoyed working with clients on legal matters..." They're probably not going to ask you "why law" anyway unless you have a work background in another field or you're K-JD and seem like you went to law school on a whim. If you've thought through going to law school and why you want to be a lawyer "why law" should be a softball question. Give your honest answer minus any unflattering details.

I am K-JD though and my previous "law internship" was between HS and undergrad so I got basically zero substantive legal experience. It really was just a filing papers and answering phones kind of job, so the only way I can really draw on that is by saying it was a good learning experience through observation. I guess this answer is sort of generic but I dont want to specify my previous employers. Ill give it some time to think over and see if I can come up with something more specific.

potted plant

Postby potted plant » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
potted plant wrote:

I am K-JD though and my previous "law internship" was between HS and undergrad so I got basically zero substantive legal experience. It really was just a filing papers and answering phones kind of job, so the only way I can really draw on that is by saying it was a good learning experience through observation. I guess this answer is sort of generic but I dont want to specify my previous employers. Ill give it some time to think over and see if I can come up with something more specific.

You don't need a really creative answer here. You like working with clients. You have x,y,z skills that are relevant to being an attorney (writing? analytical reasoning? negotiating? public speaking?). You interned at a law office. Maybe you didn't get substantive legal experience but you got to observe the type of work people were doing, see what a firm was like. Just say you want an interesting and challenging career, you know that legal work requires x,y,z skills which you happen to have so you think legal work is a good fit for you and from working briefly at a firm before college you believe you would enjoy being an attorney.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:05 pm

potted plant wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
potted plant wrote:

You don't need a really creative answer here. You like working with clients. You have x,y,z skills that are relevant to being an attorney (writing? analytical reasoning? negotiating? public speaking?). You interned at a law office. Maybe you didn't get substantive legal experience but you got to observe the type of work people were doing, see what a firm was like. Just say you want an interesting and challenging career, you know that legal work requires x,y,z skills which you happen to have so you think legal work is a good fit for you and from working briefly at a firm before college you believe you would enjoy being an attorney.
potted plant wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
potted plant wrote:

Thats simple enough, thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:02 pm

Bump. Interested to hear more on this. I'm thinking my answer of "because I don't have the stomach for med school" is probably not the best answer.

But seriously, do you think it's better to give a generic I think I have xyz skills that are relevant to being an attorney even through I've never stepped foot in a law office, or give a more personal story about experiences with injustice or family member's who are lawyers etc.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Interested to hear more on this. I'm thinking my answer of "because I don't have the stomach for med school" is probably not the best answer.

But seriously, do you think it's better to give a generic I think I have xyz skills that are relevant to being an attorney even through I've never stepped foot in a law office, or give a more personal story about experiences with injustice or family member's who are lawyers etc.

Again, what are your actual reasons? Start there. There is no "right answer" here because if your answer is some made-up bullshit you gleaned from a message board then it won't be the right answer.

Return to “Legal Employment”