2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:17 pm

King & Spalding Houston anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Rejection letter from Baker Hostetler

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is a question, and I am honestly not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but very curious

Did people who took Latham's Houston office just not get offers at V&E/Baker Botts in Houston? I interviewed at all 3, and just dont understand how one could justify taking Latham in that situation. My decision is down to V&E and Baker Botts, I already turned down Latham but I am curious to hear people's thoughts.

Here is my take:

Baker Botts and V&E are both HQ in Houston. The partner chances (though slim) will be a hell of a lot better than a satellite. We have no idea if Latham will ever make a partner at that office (I think they will) but when you look at Skadden's office there, I think they have made 0 since they opened.

The Latham culture is very similar to V&E (I felt), and if you dont like that you can go to Baker Botts which has a very different culture.

Latham is trying to get 8 weeks from people, making it harder to split which is one big positive about Texas.

V&E is known for having the best corporate department in Texas. Baker Botts is known for having tons of huge institutional clients that will always go to them (think Haliburton, Trans Ocean, etc.)

The one positive I see for Latham is that they might have more pull outside of Texas. But if you want to stay in Texas, why take a satellite over one of the Texas Elite?

While it wasn't an easy decision by any means (for reasons that many have discussed), I chose Latham (over offers from V&E and BB and others), and did so for several reasons:

1) While I like Texas, it's not the only place I could see myself ending up, so I thought L&W gave more flexibility and future opportunity in regards to not only location but also quality of exit options (although V&E and Baker Botts have plenty of offices elsewhere, they are still predominantly known as Texas firms).

2) Partner isn't the end-all, be-all for me like it may be for others. Even if it was, I felt like at BB and V&E my likelihood of making partner is 10-15%, and 5%-10% at L&W, so I wouldn't base my decision on that. If you did make partner at L&W, it would be more money. Rates are higher, but for the type of high-end energy work that L&W is targeting, those clients have the money for it. As other posters have mentioned, Houston is a cash-cow for the firm and is targeted for even more growth, so this could lead to those inside the firm being advanced.

3) With the increasing popularity of laterals in Texas, there is a likelihood that I could end up switching firms anyway. And it's easier to slide down the ladder than climb up. Unless you burned bridges during the recruiting process, are there reasons why someone could not switch from L&W to V&E or BB after a few years? And from what I gathered from interviewing, the few people who have left L&W in the short time the office has been open have been going in-house, so it appears that's an option available to those who want it.

4) As mentioned previously, L&W has been on a impressive growth streak. 3 years, from 8 attorneys up to ~60+ attorneys, and getting laterals from V&E, BB, AK, et al. So I definitely don't think there is any question that L&W is at least peer to the Texas Big 3. And if you look at Merger Market's tables, L&W has actually been outproducing just about everybody lately (see pp. 24-27: http://www.mergermarket.com/pdf/Mergermarket-H12013-LegalAdvisorM&ATrendReport.pdf).

5) In talking with associates, these firms are all competing and sitting across the table on all of these deals. So the "quality of work" is a push.

6) Offer rates: (For 2012) L&W = 100%; V&E (Houston) = 90%; BB (Houston) = 83%. While L&W does push for 8-week to 10-week, I think this has been (and will continue to be) a growing trend as firms realize that they don't want to spend ~20K for 6 weeks to recruit someone who will then go work at the other firm they split with. And if I have a very high chance of getting a full-time offer, there's less incentive to split.

7) While not a major factor, if I'm going to be working a ton, compensation was something to consider. L&W has NYC market lockstep comp and bonuses. I know V&E just switched their comp structure (changed from some of it being deferred until you hit your hours requirement) and BB has the "levels" which I didn't really like (you get paid the same base for 2 years unless you level up early, and some associates said that their bonuses didn't always square them up with typical lockstep comp).

8. Culture - I really liked the people at L&W and V&E. BB was "meh." But there is some upside to work in a (relative to V&E and BB) smaller office, even if it is a satellite office (but like mentioned above, partner isn't a big concern); you get to know people better and it wasn't as much of the "cog-in-the-wheel" feel, though in the big scheme of things, you are anyway. But just the impression that I got. I also think stated hours minimum is a little lower at L&W (1900) versus 2000+ at the other 2. I know I'll be working more, but if things ever do slow a little, the benchmark for a bonus is lower. L&W also has a reputation for being fairly family-friendly, which isn't relevant for me now, but could be down the road.

9) Unassigned practice group. L&W gives you an extra year (if you want) to be unassigned and work across practice groups before settling into one (similar to JD's New Lawyer's Group); V&E has you double between 2 (corporate and capital markets are a common pair for transactional folks); BB doesn't give you much flexibility to speak of.

And to directly answer poster's question above: "if you want to stay in Texas, why take a satellite over one of the Texas Elite?" I think that L&W, which is elite in its own right on a global scale, has been able to do something that other "satellite" firms haven't been able to in Houston: get a foothold and really grow on a scale that other peer-firms haven't been able to achieve with ~60+ attorneys in 3 years (for comparison: Skadden--20 attorneys; Cadwalader--4; STB--16; McGuire Woods--19; as well as some others listed here: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20111114-national-law-firms-invade-dallas-and-houston.ece)

This is an interesting take, and to each his own. I am with those who feel that taking Latham is a bad choice if you have offers at all of the Big 3.

V&E leads the league tables in Houston in both deal volume and value (just Houston/Texas specifically). I have seen the chart on this, but I cannot find it at the moment. If you think I am mistaken, let me know and I will find it. I spoke with partners at many other Houston firms, all of them said V&E was top dog. Chambers and Partners has V&E and BB in band 1 corporate, they do not put Latham at the same level. See http://www.chambersandpartners.com/usa/Editorial/99153

Also, Baker Botts doesn't make you specialize, so you saying they dont have flexibility makes me think you didn't interview with them. Their associates dont have to pick between M&A and Securities, they can do both (and almost all I spoke with do). They are, by far, more flexible than the other two. This is a positive to some and not others, but I just wanted to clarify that. Baker Botts compensation goes to 180 after year one (not including stub of course). You spend 2 years at 180 and then you go directly to 230k. To me, BB had the most tempting compensation structure of the 3.

I think the main reason I dont see taking LW over VE or BB as a good choice is because of what they did in the downturn. They really screwed EVERYONE in many of their offices. I am not saying that the Big 3 didnt do layoffs, they did, but they didnt just fire everyone. I dont think Latham would hesitate to do it again if they need to. Also, this doesnt seem to matter to you, but Partnership is important to me. You saying its a 5-10% difference is just wrong, partnership chances are going to be much better at the HQ all the time.

I do agree that all of these firms will give you good exit options. I think being at VE, BB or LW allows you to later to most other firms in Houston if you want (besides the Big 3).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:15 pm

any movement by Thompson Coe Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:53 pm

anyone heard from Susman post-callback? Should I assume ding? (It's been 5 weeks).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard from Susman post-callback? Should I assume ding? (It's been 5 weeks).

Friend of mine will be there this summer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, Bracewell's program begins on June 23. Looks like this conflicts with the majority of first half programs - from what I've heard, most of them start on May 19. Anybody with a BG offer care to share what they are planning to do with that overlapping week beginning June 23?

I would also like to know.

I did 5 weeks at Bracewell last summer. If you're splitting with V&E, Fulbright, or another first half program, Bracewell will be flexible with you if they make an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Note: Porter Hedges no-offered two out of its six summer associates in 2012. Keep that in mind if you're deciding between them and somewhere else. Screening interview felt... weird. I wouldn't trust them.

I'm pretty sure they did the same thing in 2013. Definitely not the place to go if you're looking for a less risky option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Does anyone know anything about Sutherland?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Has anyone heard anything at all from Looper Reed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything at all from Looper Reed?

I know of at least one Houston offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:00 pm

What is the general consensus for how OCI is going in Texas? Specifically, how are your respective schools performing?

I am top 10% at SMU with LR and utterly failed at OCI. Received over a dozen screeners with very few callbacks and no offers. Ordinarily, I would say that I am just a dumbass but I know several other people in the top 10% that have also struck out. It would seem that our numbers are down from last year. How are UT, UH, Baylor, Tech, etc. doing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the general consensus for how OCI is going in Texas? Specifically, how are your respective schools performing?

I am top 10% at SMU with LR and utterly failed at OCI. Received over a dozen screeners with very few callbacks and no offers. Ordinarily, I would say that I am just a dumbass but I know several other people in the top 10% that have also struck out. It would seem that our numbers are down from last year. How are UT, UH, Baylor, Tech, etc. doing?

I'm top 10% at UT also failed at OCI. General consensus around UT is that the market sucks this year. CSO has said this is the worst market they have seen in a long time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the general consensus for how OCI is going in Texas? Specifically, how are your respective schools performing?

So far as I can tell, OCI seems to be going well for those with offers and poorly for those without.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

So far as I can tell, OCI seems to be going well for those with offers and poorly for those without.

Cheesy but funny.

Problem is this year that there are very few offers going out. Many of the big firms in Texas have dramatically cut their classes this year. If you talk to CSO at UT, they will tell you that we have a *really* low offer rate from UT. Almost half the offer rate as last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Great use of Anon.

Top 10%/LR at UH/SMU/BU and transferred to UT. Struck out at UT OCI 1 with just 1 CB and no offers. Nothing promising from targeted mailing yet, but did get a biglaw interview last week and CB this week from networking. OCI 2 going on now, but I only have a couple interviews there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Great use of Anon.

Top 10%/LR at UH/SMU/BU and transferred to UT. Struck out at UT OCI 1 with just 1 CB and no offers. Nothing promising from targeted mailing yet, but did get a biglaw interview last week and CB this week from networking. OCI 2 going on now, but I only have a couple interviews there.

I've been through 2 OCIs and worked with CSO extensively (this probably outs me a bit for people at UT). CSO suggested to me and my experience supports that OCI went better than last year, but was somewhat different in what firms were looking for (possibly even a bit more mature/a bit less GPA centric). The huge number of transfers was tough (~55) because many firms basically didn't consider them (i've heard anecdotes of firms basically admitting that to certain transfers). Those that had top-25% grades and didn't get big-law made some sort of critical mistake or are just un-interesting candidates (I don't mean this to be a dick, just my opinion, it felt like personality mattered much more this year and that having a good story was important in terms of demonstrating how you came to have that specific interest). I was just below top 25% GPA and had 24 screeners and 9 CBs at OCI (3 offers resulted). Some Houston classes shrank (V&E) but several grew significantly (Latham, Sidley, STB, etc.) in a way that more than offset the losses. Of course, these national firms seemed to be more exacting in what they wanted and seemed to give a lot of credence to those with biglaw 1L summers w/ Texas big-3 firms on their resume.

Overall, I don't think OCI was fantastic, but it was much better than in most parts of the country (I also did the NYC job fair and have friends at other top schools). I feel that our OCI was about as good as schools in the T7-10 range just because of the strength of the Houston market right now and how badly other major markets (SF, NYC, DC) seem to be struggling.

Edit: Just wanted to be clear that I know several people that didn't secure jobs through OCI that I feel have decent personalities and I know have good grades. I'm not trying to just be disparaging or kick them while they're down. Most of these people were seemingly lacking in terms of having a good reason for what they want, not knowing what they want (lit. v. trans.), or their resume not supporting their claims of what they want. I think it also hurt people this year that more candidates secured biglaw positions during 1L summer. The result was that all the firms seemingly gunned for those people in 2L OCI, hurting those that didn't have them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:34 pm

UT 2L. Median with 3 CB and one offer.

I am surprised to hear the OCS claim that this year was much worse than last year. That just doesn't seem right. Almost everyone in my section whose job status I know about (i.e. ~20 people) has a biglaw offer. Granted, that is still a very small slice of the pie, and I know those without offers are not going to be forthcoming about it. But just counting up the number of those with offers, I wouldn't be surprised if more than a third of the class end up in biglaw or equivalent, which is comparable to or better than last year.

I echo the above: Barring HYS with ties, UT is the way to go for biglaw in Houston and Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UT 2L. Median with 3 CB and one offer.

I am surprised to hear the OCS claim that this year was much worse than last year. That just doesn't seem right. Everyone in my section whose job status I know about (i.e. ~20 people) has a biglaw offer. Granted, that is still a very small slice of the pie, and I know those without offers are not going to be forthcoming about it. But just counting up the number of those with offers, I wouldn't be surprised if more than a third of the class end up in biglaw or equivalent, which is comparable to or better than last year.

I echo the above: Barring HYS with ties, UT is the way to go for biglaw in Houston and Dallas.

HYS does well without ties. CCN with ties (and probably UVA + Duke) is a pretty good place to be gunning for Houston/Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Great use of Anon.

I've been through 2 OCIs and worked with CSO extensively (this probably outs me a bit for people at UT). CSO suggested to me and my experience supports that OCI went better than last year, but was somewhat different in what firms were looking for (possibly even a bit more mature/a bit less GPA centric). The huge number of transfers was tough (~55) because many firms basically didn't consider them (i've heard anecdotes of firms basically admitting that to certain transfers). Those that had top-25% grades and didn't get big-law made some sort of critical mistake or are just un-interesting candidates (I don't mean this to be a dick, just my opinion, it felt like personality mattered much more this year and that having a good story was important in terms of demonstrating how you came to have that specific interest). I was just below top 25% GPA and had 24 screeners and 9 CBs at OCI (3 offers resulted). Some Houston classes shrank (V&E) but several grew significantly (Latham, Sidley, STB, etc.) in a way that more than offset the losses. Of course, these national firms seemed to be more exacting in what they wanted and seemed to give a lot of credence to those with biglaw 1L summers w/ Texas big-3 firms on their resume.

Overall, I don't think OCI was fantastic, but it was much better than in most parts of the country (I also did the NYC job fair and have friends at other top schools). I feel that our OCI was about as good as schools in the T7-10 range just because of the strength of the Houston market right now and how badly other major markets (SF, NYC, DC) seem to be struggling.

Edit: Just wanted to be clear that I know several people that didn't secure jobs through OCI that I feel have decent personalities and I know have good grades. I'm not trying to just be disparaging or kick them while they're down. Most of these people were seemingly lacking in terms of having a good reason for what they want, not knowing what they want (lit. v. trans.), or their resume not supporting their claims of what they want. I think it also hurt people this year that more candidates secured biglaw positions during 1L summer. The result was that all the firms seemingly gunned for those people in 2L OCI, hurting those that didn't have them.

I think that this is true. Me and a couple friends in the T14 range (lower end of it) and at UT that had 1L SA positions got offers from just about ever Texas firm in Houston and Dallas, I think once they see that you have done it and received an offer to come back, you are then a wanted commodity. I think that firms are moving away from giving spots based purely on GPA. I think there is now a minimum GPA, but once you are past that they care more about how you will fit. Are classes supposed to be smaller this year? I know Baker Botts, Latham, Fulbright, AK, BG and LL were either planning on having a larger class or one of the same size. I think V&E is still looking like it will be in the 40+ range as well. I have a couple friends at the top of the class at UT who struggled this year, landing only 1 offer.

Seems that the market is not worse, just that they are moving away from just looking at credentials and I also think there is more of an influx of people from better schools, which hurts those at Texas schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:39 pm

I am surprised to hear the OCS claim that this year was much worse than last year. That just doesn't seem right. Almost everyone in my section whose job status I know about (i.e. ~20 people) has a biglaw offer. Granted, that is still a very small slice of the pie, and I know those without offers are not going to be forthcoming about it. But just counting up the number of those with offers, I wouldn't be surprised if more than a third of the class end up in biglaw or equivalent, which is comparable to or better than last year.

Not true. I would take MVP over UT if you want Houston/Dallas every day. I have friends from both, the good firms are MUCH more selective from UT than T14 schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not true. I would take MVP over UT if you want Houston/Dallas every day. I have friends from both, the good firms are MUCH more selective from UT than T14 schools.

This is credited. I think Houston/Dallas firms dip deeper into the class at the lower T14 and significantly deeper once you get into the CCN or MVP range. It's easier to come from a strong OOS school where only you and 8 other people want Houston. Baker Botts, V&E, and Fulbright can't even fill their interview slots at my school. They end up interviewing for their NY office or talking to randos who have no interest in a TX firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is credited. I think Houston/Dallas firms dip deeper into the class at the lower T14 and significantly deeper once you get into the CCN or MVP range. It's easier to come from a strong OOS school where only you and 8 other people want Houston. Baker Botts, V&E, and Fulbright can't even fill their interview slots at my school. They end up interviewing for their NY office or talking to randos who have no interest in a TX firm.

Okay. I stand corrected. I guess, as far as Texas goes, it's not "HYSUT" just yet. For 0Ls, it is still a good school if you like Hogwarts-style societies, though.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Cheesy but funny.

Problem is this year that there are very few offers going out. Many of the big firms in Texas have dramatically cut their classes this year. If you talk to CSO at UT, they will tell you that we have a *really* low offer rate from UT. Almost half the offer rate as last year.

Can anyone actually verify this? The firms I clerked at last summer (two Houston V50 firms) gave no indication that this summer's classes would be any smaller.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Okay. I stand corrected. I guess, as far as Texas goes, it's not "HYSUT" just yet. For 0Ls, it is still a good school if you like Hogwarts-style societies, though.

To 0Ls: please do not choose UT over MVPB if you want Texas biglaw, unless Texas is free.

Return to “Legal Employment”