2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BB 2013 offer rate (in Texas offices): 93%
V&E 2013 offer rate (in Texas offices): 88%
Source: http://www.law360.com/articles/458866/t ... iate-slots

This may get taken down because of C/R. . . but for the greater good for those w/o access.

Here is the article:

Law360, Dallas (August 23, 2013, 4:41 PM ET) -- Though Texas continues to be a bright spot in the U.S. legal market, its big firms continue to carefully limit summer associate class sizes as client demand for young attorneys remains below pre-recession levels and job offers are accepted at sky-high rates.

Despite an energy boom that’s driving the state’s economic growth and serving as a major engine for Texas firms, hiring partners say they don’t expect summer class ranks to return to the heydays of 2006 and 2007, but to instead stay pegged closely to their projected needs. Competition for summer associate slots remains high, drawing top-tier candidates from across the country, and some firms say they’ve seen increased interest from out-of-state students who are attracted to the stability of the Texas market.

Jadd Masso, a litigation partner and member of the recruiting team at Strasburger & Price LLP, said having a smaller, more focused summer program has worked for the firm because the associates are concentrating on getting their work done instead of fighting with each other for limited positions.

“We’re very clear about our intent — we don’t hire 20 clerks with the expectation to give 10 offers,” Masso said. “It eliminates that element of competition.”

Firms are adding to their energy practices and overall say they’re hiring summer associates for perennial heavy-hitting practice groups like general litigation and corporate mergers and acquisitions. But the firms are relying more than ever on data and work projections for years down the road, keeping summer classes tightly tied to actual client demand, they say.

With acceptance rates from law students sky-high at the state’s largest firms, hiring partners say it’s crucial they can walk into on-campus interviewing rounds with detailed projections for what their hiring needs will be across the offices and practice groups two years down the road, when the students interviewing would join the firm full-time.

“The math has shifted,” said Van Beckwith, hiring partner at Baker Botts LLP, which had a 2013 summer class including 46 second-year students in Texas and a 93 percent offer rate.

Beckwith said the firm takes a holistic look at its needs and factors in how many summer associates might split their summers with another firm and how many summer hires will delay joining the firm to spend a year in a judicial clerkship. The result is that the firm is able to better evaluate its summer classes, as clerks handle real assignments for real clients, he said.

“If they do what we expect, we want to say in return we’re going to be able to tell them about their future at Baker Botts,” he said.

Strasburger & Price LLP had a Texas class of 12 summer associates and an overall 75 percent offer rate this year, and Masso said the firm’s “slow and steady” growth strategy has served it well during the economic downturn.

For Vinson & Elkins LLP, which had a summer class including 56 2Ls in Texas and an 88 percent offer rate, the class sizes are partly a function of declining client demand for the kind of work young associates typically handle, said Doug Bland, the firm’s hiring partner. The firm has seen more companies handle in-house what was traditionally considered “first-year work” or use smaller firms that charge lower rates for those jobs.

“It’s harder in the business world to justify carrying associates when client demands for new associates are somewhat softer than they would be,” Bland said. “It’s pushing the numbers down somewhat of entry-level people, which is to the detriment of the students.”

But the relative strength of the Texas market has made it an attractive choice not just for students at the state’s nine law schools, but firms say they’re also drawing more applications from all over the country as Houston, Dallas and Austin build their reputations as destination cities for legal work. The increased talent pool has many Texas firms saying they’re seeing better resumes and drawing more top-tier students than ever before.

At Locke Lord LLP, which had a summer class including 25 2Ls in Texas and an 88 percent offer rate, recruiters are fielding higher interest in the firm’s three Texas offices from students outside of the South, spokeswoman Julie Gilbert said.

“We have historically interviewed at top law schools across the country, but this year we have had stronger schedules and more interest in folks wanting to return ‘home’ as well as those who want to move to Texas for the strong legal market,” she said.

Andrews Kurth LLP, which had a class including 30 second-year students in Texas and a 95 percent offer rate, and Munsch Hardt Kopf & Karr PC, which offered positions to seven of its nine summer associates, said they have seen more interest this year from out-of-state students and schools than in the past.

As competition for summer class positions grows, hiring partners say high acceptance rates from their clerks are contributing to the shrinking summer class size, especially among the firms that have limited their summer programs to the first half of the term instead of offering a second-half program, meaning fewer options for students who want to split summer work.

“More students are accepting offers,” said David Schulte of Thompson & Knight LLP, which hired 17 summer associates in Texas and had a statewide 70 percent offer rate. “That’s a function of today’s legal landscape and the atmosphere for law students.”

Thompson & Knight is one of the handful Texas firms that now offers summer associate programs only in the first half. The shift means students have to decide in the fall of their second years which firm to join, forcing them to do their homework early on to figure out where they want to end up after graduation, instead of making that choice after spending their summers working at several different firms.

At Vinson & Elkins, split summer rates have dropped sharply as law firms trimmed their summer classes and eliminated second-half programs. The firm says that while in 2007, 94 percent of its summer associates split the term with another firm, that number had fallen to 65 percent in 2010 and this year was only half of the summer class.

“The really top students still are able to split and to get a choice,” Bland said. “Some of the others might not have an attractive second choice.”

Bland said the firm will have a slightly smaller summer 2014 class, as it corrects from several years of higher-than expected acceptance rates, which since 2010 have consistently been above 80 percent compared with the firm’s previous average of about 60 to 70 percent acceptance.

--Editing by Jeremy Barker and Sarah Golin.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Finally got shot down by Kelly Hart via snail mail. All good, thankfully landed an SA earlier this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Anyone hear from JW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from JW?

No. They are seriously taking forever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Baker Hostetler?

I have heard rumblings that some offers have gone out and rumblings that people have been rejected. I have personally heard nothing from them.

Any news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Baker Hostetler?

I have heard rumblings that some offers have gone out and rumblings that people have been rejected. I have personally heard nothing from them.

Any news?

I'm waiting, too. I haven't heard anything. Are the rumblings from today? And which office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker Hostetler?

Any news?

I'm waiting, too. I haven't heard anything. Are the rumblings from today? And which office?

Houston

Total hearsay, but a friend told me that her friend received an offer last week. Again, take that for what it's worth.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did they give anyone some sort of timeline? I was told one to two weeks, but that was a long time ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did they give anyone some sort of timeline? I was told one to two weeks, but that was a long time ago.

They told me one week lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They told me one week lol.

LOL! Have they seriously not made any offers yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What market? I know of multiple people with JW Houston offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Houston.
When did they receive them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Houston.
When did they receive them?

I'm not the same poster, but a friend of mine got an offer this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not the same poster, but a friend of mine got an offer this week.

This week as in Monday/Tuesday? Or within the past week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not the same poster, but a friend of mine got an offer this week.

Not looking good for us. However, if offers have gone out, I would assume they would do them all at once. Why wait to reject us?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not looking good for us. However, if offers have gone out, I would assume they would do them all at once. Why wait to reject us?

Maybe our dings are on their way snail mail style. Damn, I really liked JW too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe our dings are on their way snail mail style. Damn, I really liked JW too.

I guess so. Generally, it takes a day for mail to get to me from Houston...

I need to stop over analyzing. Ugh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 pm

anybody have any news from NRF? It has been a month since my callback. Should I assume it is a rejection and just accept another offer or wait it out a bit longer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody have any news from NRF? It has been a month since my callback. Should I assume it is a rejection and just accept another offer or wait it out a bit longer?

You may be in good shape. I was rejected less than a week after my CB for their Houston office. Wait might be a good thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Shook, Hardy & Bacon (Houston) post-CB ....?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anybody have any news from NRF? It has been a month since my callback. Should I assume it is a rejection and just accept another offer or wait it out a bit longer?

Have you told them about your other offer? I was waiting a little over 3 weeks, let them know about my offer, and within a few days they made an offer. I ended up rejecting as well btw, so theoretically they might still be adding people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 pm

If anyone did a screener w/ Hoover Slovacek and Baker Donelson, did they get back to you yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Anyone heard from Baker McKenzie? CB was about two weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:16 am

Any movement for haynes boone Dallas? Had a callback a couple weeks ago and haven't heard from them.

Return to “Legal Employment”