2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Anyone not get a BH or PH ding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone not get a BH or PH ding?

I have not been BH dinged. I got dinged by PH a few weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:06 am

I read that some offers from Kelly Hart have gone out, but have any post-CB rejections gone out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I read that some offers from Kelly Hart have gone out, but have any post-CB rejections gone out?

Still quiet here

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:

PH dinged after CB or screener?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

PH dinged after CB or screener?

CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Note: Porter Hedges no-offered two out of its six summer associates in 2012. Keep that in mind if you're deciding between them and somewhere else. Screening interview felt... weird. I wouldn't trust them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Note: Porter Hedges no-offered two out of its six summer associates in 2012. Keep that in mind if you're deciding between them and somewhere else. Screening interview felt... weird. I wouldn't trust them.

I actually really liked my screener, the attorneys at the firm during the dinner, and pretty much every person I met during the CB. I got a great vibe from the firm. But wow, your post scared the crap out of me.

I was seriously considering PH over some higher ranked options. Now I'm back to where I started and don't know what to do. Do you know if their practice of no-offering is common, or was 2012 an anomaly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Note: Porter Hedges no-offered two out of its six summer associates in 2012. Keep that in mind if you're deciding between them and somewhere else. Screening interview felt... weird. I wouldn't trust them.

I actually really liked my screener, the attorneys at the firm during the dinner, and pretty much every person I met during the CB. I got a great vibe from the firm. But wow, your post scared the crap out of me.

I was seriously considering PH over some higher ranked options. Now I'm back to where I started and don't know what to do. Do you know if their practice of no-offering is common, or was 2012 an anomaly?

Of course, vibes are largely subjective, so I wouldn't put too much stock in what I thought about my screener. But those numbers from the latest NALP form don't lie. No-offering two out of six 2L summers is unacceptable odds for someone like you with other options. I can understand if they no-offered one (i.e. picked a bad apple), but there is a world of difference between one and two.

That said, if you're going to be splitting your summer with a higher-ranked firm, then you can afford to gamble a little. But otherwise I'd strongly reconsider.

You can ask career services if they have their NALP forms for prior years. Even if last year was an anomaly, my advice still stands.

AFS

Postby AFS » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:04 pm

I talked to one of the people who summered there this summer. I think she said they had 8 total summers, and offered 6. But she thought the two who weren't offered were pretty much just not trying.

outrageousresipsa

Postby outrageousresipsa » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Has anyone heard from V&E-Austin? Month after CB and no word...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:11 pm

AFS wrote:

I talked to one of the people who summered there this summer. I think she said they had 8 total summers, and offered 6. But she thought the two who weren't offered were pretty much just not trying.

According to NALP, they had 8 total summers, six of whom were considered for offers, four of whom actually received offers. So four of the eight summers were either no-offered or did not wish to be considered for an offer.

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/employer_p ... dges%22%7D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AFS wrote:

According to NALP, they had 8 total summers, six of whom were considered for offers, four of whom actually received offers. So four of the eight summers were either no-offered or did not wish to be considered for an offer.

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/employer_p ... dges%22%7D

I think it was 4 out of 6 for 2012. And the poster above just said 6 out of 8 for 2013, so it seems like 2012 was not an anomaly as I was hoping.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:44 pm

AFS wrote:

I take it your friend received an offer? Did she enjoy working there?

I'm the poster above who really liked PH, and I'm trying to make a decision.

AFS

Postby AFS » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AFS wrote:

Yeah she liked it a lot. I think if you liked the people there, it's not a bad way to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:21 pm

JW and BH, please put me out of my misery.

Best regards,

Anonymous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Thompson Coe Dallas post callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:01 pm

At least one HayBoo Dallas offer today. Callback was several weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AFS wrote:

2+ no-offers for a handful-size SA class, two years in a row, is a huge red flag. Great firms with small class sizes just aren't supposed to no-offer a quarter or a third of their SAs year in and year out. Do you really want to play around with your future with those kinds of odds?

Like I said, disregard if you are splitting your summer with another firm, but IMHO, no amount of chemistry can justify those odds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AFS wrote:

2+ no-offers for a handful-size SA class, two years in a row, is a huge red flag. Great firms with small class sizes just aren't supposed to no-offer a quarter or a third of their SAs year in and year out. Do you really want to play around with your future with those kinds of odds?

Like I said, disregard if you are splitting your summer with another firm, but IMHO, no amount of chemistry can justify those odds.

I really do appreciate your advice, and you've given me a lot to think about. I definitely don't want to play russian roulette with my career, particularly if I only have only have a 75% chance of survival.

My problem right now is that I have several higher ranked options (V50s and V100s), but these firms are in NY, Boston, and Dallas. I really, really want to be in Houston. But I haven't been able to get a second half offer, and I have yet to hear back from some other Houston firms (JW, BB, BH, and HB).

I tried massmailing BG and AK but haven't heard anything. I'm not sure what other firms allow for second half splits, so I'm really confused about what to do here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:24 pm

So I guess I am another poster going through the Baker Botts v. V&E dilemma. I only have these two offers still, no second half firm options. I am looking at corporate work.

I get the feeling that I will like the people at VE more, but I also get the feeling that I will do better at BB. I dont know why this is, maybe just from conversations with people at BB. I also think that they bring in smaller class sizes, dont lateral in as many people (according to NALP) and have better partnership chances. Do many people who have this dilemma go with BB?

Anyone on here have some experience with both firms? (Somehow...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I really do appreciate your advice, and you've given me a lot to think about. I definitely don't want to play russian roulette with my career, particularly if I only have only have a 75% chance of survival.

My problem right now is that I have several higher ranked options (V50s and V100s), but these firms are in NY, Boston, and Dallas. I really, really want to be in Houston. But I haven't been able to get a second half offer, and I have yet to hear back from some other Houston firms (JW, BB, BH, and HB).

I tried massmailing BG and AK but haven't heard anything. I'm not sure what other firms allow for second half splits, so I'm really confused about what to do here.

I really hope that one of the other Houston firms comes through for you. Just sit back and wait for now.

Two of the biggest firms in Houston have no-offer rates of ~15% (BB and NRF). I am going to be clerking at one of the two next summer. Even at those odds I am kind of worried (unlike you I don't have multiple offers), so I just can't imagine going to PH with 60-70% odds. Unless you feel like your life is going to be completely meaningless unless you work in Houston, I think going to Dallas or East Coast is the right move. It is much better to work a few years in a place you don't care for, then try to lateral over, than not start a career at all.

Another thing to do is maybe call up PH and just straight up ask them for some reassurances about their no-offer rate. Tell them you really like them, that you are deciding between multiple offers (from Vault firms), and are concerned about their offer rate. Emphasize that you are only asking because you really liked what you saw. Depending on the quality of their response you should be able to judge how serious they are about recruiting top talent like you.

I am not saying this tact is without its risks but it is something you should consider.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:30 am

BB 2013 offer rate (in Texas offices): 93%
V&E 2013 offer rate (in Texas offices): 88%
Source: http://www.law360.com/articles/458866/t ... iate-slots

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:BB 2013 offer rate (in Texas offices): 93%

Interesting. BB and NRF both had offer rates in the mid-80s in 2012, according to Vault. Good to see that BB has improved in 2013. Do you have the 2013 numbers for NRF?

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BB 2013 offer rate (in Texas offices): 93%

Could you post the full offer-rate information? I tried to sign up for the free version, but my school e-mail was apparently not 'professional' enough.

Return to “Legal Employment”