2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I havent heard back from NRF (Houston) 3.5 weeks after my callback then it is pretty much a ding right?

I got an offer 4 weeks after CB.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:38 pm

I haven't seen more than one or two comments about Locke Lord Houston -- have they been extending offers? Haven't heard a peep since Flyback. I'm assuming I'm in a holding pattern...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Trying to decide between Haynes & Boone and V&E in Dallas for corporate. Is it even a close call, or should I just go ahead and accept V&E? Haynes & Boone seemed a little bit more fun, but it seems like V&E does better work and is more prestigious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to decide between Haynes & Boone and V&E in Dallas for corporate. Is it even a close call, or should I just go ahead and accept V&E? Haynes & Boone seemed a little bit more fun, but it seems like V&E does better work and is more prestigious.

There's a UT person who summered at V&E (and, I think, made a similar decision last year). You should try getting in touch with him.

AFS

Postby AFS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't seen more than one or two comments about Locke Lord Houston -- have they been extending offers? Haven't heard a peep since Flyback. I'm assuming I'm in a holding pattern...

I know of one person who received an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:26 pm

Thompson Coe Dallas anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Shook, Hardy & Bacon (Houston) post-CB?

wolf

Postby wolf » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't seen more than one or two comments about Locke Lord Houston -- have they been extending offers? Haven't heard a peep since Flyback. I'm assuming I'm in a holding pattern...

I know someone with an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:31 am

Does anyone know how salary scales work for TX firms? I know a lot pay market for first year, but to what extent is salary progression compressed after that? I've been trying to find some info on this, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how salary scales work for TX firms? I know a lot pay market for first year, but to what extent is salary progression compressed after that? I've been trying to find some info on this, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

The texas Big 3 and national firms all pay NY market even after year one. Places like AK, BG and HaynesBoone pay a slightly more compressed salary, but bump u up to NY scale if you bill over 2000

So in the end, as long as u bill 2000 hours a year you will make NY salary

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how salary scales work for TX firms? I know a lot pay market for first year, but to what extent is salary progression compressed after that? I've been trying to find some info on this, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

The texas Big 3 and national firms all pay NY market even after year one. Places like AK, BG and HaynesBoone pay a slightly more compressed salary, but bump u up to NY scale if you bill over 2000

Do you know the salary scale and billables for some of the smaller or more regional firms? Places like JW, TK, Porter Hedges, Gardere, and Strasburger.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you know the salary scale and billables for some of the smaller or more regional firms? Places like JW, TK, Porter Hedges, Gardere, and Strasburger.

No, but I will assume that if they start at 160, they wont follow the NY scale. But this is just a guess as I have no real info on those firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Are you sure this is true? Here's what I read about HB online, for example:

Vault wrote:"The firm matches the market for first-year compensation. However, salaries increase at a slower rate, and bonuses are somewhat smaller than at peer firms."

Chambers wrote:In Texas, bonuses (and salaries, from the second year up) are paid at a level a little below the New York market rate. “They are pretty hours-driven, although reviews can affect them too,” sources said.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Vault wrote:"The firm matches the market for first-year compensation. However, salaries increase at a slower rate, and bonuses are somewhat smaller than at peer firms."

Chambers wrote:In Texas, bonuses (and salaries, from the second year up) are paid at a level a little below the New York market rate. “They are pretty hours-driven, although reviews can affect them too,” sources said.

Im sure. I know some students dont know this, but Chambers can often be misinformed or just out of date.

V&E has absolutely moved to NY salary. Baker Botts has a system that is basically NY (or even slightly better with second years making 180). Fulbright does NY scale as long as the year before you billed over 2000 hours, if you didnt, but you bill 2000 hours the next year, they will true you up to NY scale for the year.

Latham and the like pay NYC salary

AK doesnt do NY until year 5, but before that as long as you bill 2000 hours, they will give you a bonus that trues you up to or exceeds NYC salary.
HB has a "low scale" and "high scale" - the high scale is achieved by billing 2000 hours a year, and is on NYC scale.

These are the only ones I can confirm, but they are either firms I was at this summer who explicitly told us this, or one of my friends was at and was told.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Im sure. I know some students dont know this, but Chambers can often be misinformed or just out of date.

V&E has absolutely moved to NY salary. Baker Botts has a system that is basically NY (or even slightly better with second years making 180). Fulbright does NY scale as long as the year before you billed over 2000 hours, if you didnt, but you bill 2000 hours the next year, they will true you up to NY scale for the year.

Latham and the like pay NYC salary

AK doesnt do NY until year 5, but before that as long as you bill 2000 hours, they will give you a bonus that trues you up to or exceeds NYC salary.
HB has a "low scale" and "high scale" - the high scale is achieved by billing 2000 hours a year, and is on NYC scale.

These are the only ones I can confirm, but they are either firms I was at this summer who explicitly told us this, or one of my friends was at and was told.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info! Very helpful. I didn't mean to suggest you were wrong, and I understand that Chambers/Vault can be outdated. I just wanted to make sure, and obviously you know a lot about this.

Do you think it is reasonable for me to ask questions about salary scales to firms where I have offers, or is that bad form?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Was at HB this past summer. Apparently the bonus structure very recently changed. While I don't know the exact details, it sounds like if you hit higher hours your bonus will now be much more than it was previously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Was at HB this past summer. Apparently the bonus structure very recently changed. While I don't know the exact details, it sounds like if you hit higher hours your bonus will now be much more than it was previously.

Thanks for the info. So base and bonuses are at NY level under the new structure?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Has anyone heard from Baker Botts (Houston), Baker Hostetler, Porter Hedges, Jackson Walker (Houston), Norton Rose Fulbright (Houston), or Haynes and Boone (Houston) recently?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Baker Botts (Houston), Baker Hostetler, Porter Hedges, Jackson Walker (Houston), Norton Rose Fulbright (Houston), or Haynes and Boone (Houston) recently?

I know that NRF has given out offers and rejections.

I heard of someone getting an offer from Baker H, but I have not had a rejection/offer personally.

Seems like JW has been silent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Baker Botts (Houston), Baker Hostetler, Porter Hedges, Jackson Walker (Houston), Norton Rose Fulbright (Houston), or Haynes and Boone (Houston) recently?

I know that some PH offers have gone out

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I know that some PH offers have gone out

And rejections

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Ding after CB at Baker Hostetler Houston. CB was nearly a month ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding after CB at Baker Hostetler Houston. CB was nearly a month ago.

Sorry to hear that. Do you mind if I ask if that was today? Snail mail or email? Apologies if you'd rather not say.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 pm

I'm also interested to see how you found out.

My interview was ages ago (literally, first day of class for me). I have heard rumblings that people have gotten offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm also interested to see how you found out.

My interview was ages ago (literally, first day of class for me). I have heard rumblings that people have gotten offers.

It arrived by snail mail yesterday. Looks like they took their sweet time, like many firms that have <10 SA classes.

Good luck to all of you still in the game. They seem like a nice bunch.

Return to “Legal Employment”