2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:35 pm

As someone who has spent time in both, Houston > Dallas, and it's not even close in my opinion. If you are in the loop in Houston, it is a ton of fun.

Sorry for unsolicated advice.

Anyone hear from:

Jackson Walker (Houston)
Baker Hostetler (Houston)
Reed Smith (Houston)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from King & Spalding Houston?

Movement on K&S Houston- I've heard of at least one offer.

Any update on HB Houston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Got a snail mail rejection from HB on Saturday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Got a snail mail rejection from HB on Saturday.

+1, unfortunately.

JonSnow217

Postby JonSnow217 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Has anyone been rejected from K&S Houston post-callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I know one person with a HB Houston offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:31 am

Seriously need to make a decision and be done with this.....could use some help.

Interested in Real Estate/Transactional work. Currently weighing the following (can only choose one):

JW Austin
NRF Austin
HB Dallas

Not from Texas, not much experience with Dallas, really love Austin, etc. Loved the people at all three firms, especially HB but not sure about heading to Dallas.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seriously need to make a decision and be done with this.....could use some help.

Interested in Real Estate/Transactional work. Currently weighing the following (can only choose one):

JW Austin
NRF Austin
HB Dallas

Not from Texas, not much experience with Dallas, really love Austin, etc. Loved the people at all three firms, especially HB but not sure about heading to Dallas.

Thoughts?

We're it me, there'd be no question that I'd pick Austin. It's such a difficult market to break into because the quality of life is so high. You won't go wrong with Dallas, but I think you risk regretting it a bit more. Also, much easier to lateral later into Dallas than into Austin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seriously need to make a decision and be done with this.....could use some help.

JW Austin
NRF Austin
HB Dallas

Thoughts?

If it was me I would take JW Austin. I'm only judging this off of the people who I met at NRF and JW Houston offices. I really liked both, but ended up like JW the best. Good luck, you have great choices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am

Have an offer from Weil Dallas for litigation. Guess that'll be going out the window: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/09/the-soap ... l-gotshal/.

Wow....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:

JW Austin
NRF Austin
HB Dallas

Thoughts?

We're it me, there'd be no question that I'd pick Austin. It's such a difficult market to break into because the quality of life is so high. You won't go wrong with Dallas, but I think you risk regretting it a bit more. Also, much easier to lateral later into Dallas than into Austin.

Thanks. I was actually thinking about that. I can probably go anywhere from Austin, rather than the other way around.

Any thoughts on NRF v. JW?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:

JW Austin
NRF Austin
HB Dallas

Thoughts?

If it was me I would take JW Austin. I'm only judging this off of the people who I met at NRF and JW Houston offices. I really liked both, but ended up like JW the best. Good luck, you have great choices.

Really appreciate it. Love the people at JW but I'm having trouble making their very limited program dates fit with my return requirement at another firm. I have two weeks to keep working on those dates I guess.

Thanks again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

JW Austin
NRF Austin
HB Dallas

Thoughts?

FWIW, spent this last summer at HB Dallas in a transactional section, and their transactional/real estate sections were incredibly busy (especially real estate). I love Dallas, but like other posters said, most people kill for a chance to be in Austin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have an offer from Weil Dallas for litigation. Guess that'll be going out the window: http://abovethelaw.com/2013/09/the-soap ... l-gotshal/.

Wow....

I know several people at UT who just accepted offers at Weil... I hope this doesn't impact them too adversely..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks. I was actually thinking about that. I can probably go anywhere from Austin, rather than the other way around.

I have no real comparison of the two Austin offices, except I've met some NRF folks in Austin who seem really nice. Also, I do think NRF has positioned themselves well with the merger. But, neither firm is going anywhere. Flip a coin?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Anyone hear from BB Austin post CB?
rejection or offer....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

JW Austin
NRF Austin
HB Dallas

Thoughts?

This is absolutely NOT true. You are not going to be able to lateral from a NRF or JW Austin to a place like V&E or BB Houston. On the other hand, I know two people who lateraled the other way around (both from V&E houston to smaller corporate shops in Austin). The work they are doing in Austin is tiny when compared to Houston. You are going to Austin because it is a great place to live, not because you are looking out for your career.

If you care about the quality and size of work you will be doing, HB Dallas is the correct choice. If you want to live in Austin, then do that, but know that the quality of work will not even compare.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

JW Austin
NRF Austin
HB Dallas

Thoughts?

This is absolutely NOT true. You are not going to be able to lateral from a NRF or JW Austin to a place like V&E or BB Houston. On the other hand, I know two people who lateraled the other way around (both from V&E houston to smaller corporate shops in Austin). The work they are doing in Austin is tiny when compared to Houston. You are going to Austin because it is a great place to live, not because you are looking out for your career.

If you care about the quality and size of work you will be doing, HB Dallas is the correct choice. If you want to live in Austin, then do that, but know that the quality of work will not even compare.

These are my "second half" (in quotes because none are really second half) choices. I have a BB/V&E lined up for first half if that helps any. I'm pretty sure despite quality of work issues, I could get to Houston or Dallas with my first half firm.

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it. I think I'm closer to making some kind of decision I can live with for a few years at least.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Anybody hear from Kelly Hart?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 pm

rejection from NRF, I thought I hit it off well with everyone there. FML.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:rejection from NRF, I thought I hit it off well with everyone there. FML.

That's tough. Snail mail or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:rejection from NRF, I thought I hit it off well with everyone there. FML.

Good ole snail.

Starting to get worried now. Six CB. Three rejections. Still waiting on three more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good ole snail.

Starting to get worried now. Six CB. Three rejections. Still waiting on three more.

Sorry to be a pest, but if you wouldn't mind sharing, which office and how long after your CB did you hear? I'm starting to get worried now because it's been a while for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good ole snail.

Sorry to be a pest, but if you wouldn't mind sharing, which office and how long after your CB did you hear? I'm starting to get worried now because it's been a while for me.

Not a pest, it is what this thread is for, no worries. It took them exactly a week to reject me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Anyone hear back from chamberlain hrdlicka?

Return to “Legal Employment”