2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to all those with offers and good luck to those still waiting! Thoughts on the following firms please: Thompson Knight, Bracewell, Akin Gump, Porter Hedges, Locke Lord (all in Houston)? Interested in transactional work, not at all interested in litigation.

I'd think Akin or T&K. Bracewell and LL would be better choices to me if you wanted to litigate, though they both have solid (if not outstanding) transactional departments as well. Porter Hedges is a good firm and is well known in Houston, but they are ONLY in Houston, so its not where I would go if you want to lateral within the foreseeable future. Also, PH pays slightly below the NY scale according to NALP, if that matters in your decision.

For corporate work in Houston, I would put Bracewell first, hands down, among that group of firms. It is a huge player in the market and has by far the largest corporate group of the ones you listed. The rest are all great firms, and I would probably rank them as follows: Akin, LL, Porter Hedges, TK.

Akin is obviously a great national firm but still has a strong energy practice in Houston. LL is also a great firm, but less known for their transactional work. PH is strong but very regional. TK is a great place but Dallas-centric and doesn't have a big transactional presence in Houston.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Trying to choose between Skadden, AK, Sidley Austin, and Bracewell - all Houston. Anyone have any advice?

What are your goals? Do you want to stay in TX long term?

As I understand, Skadden has a pretty small office in Houston. Sidley is bigger, but not huge.

AK is solid if you want to be do transactional work, their litigation department is a ghost of its former self (like most big firms in Houston)

If you want to litigate, and be in a TX based firm, Bracewell would be my choice.

If you want a big name national, I would go with Sidley, though I dont know much about their Houston office, that advice is based on a national outlook.

Good luck and congrats, its a nice problem to have.

I would mostly agree.

Skadden is a great firm but its Houston office hasn't grown in a long time and is very small. Sidley's is about the same size but is much younger and has a big chunk of lawyers from V&E who were all very well-respected. Among these two, I would pick Sidley based on culture and current trajectory.

Between AK and Bracewell, I would give the edge to AK for corporate and Bracewell for litigation, but both have very solid transactional practices.

If it were me, and I were picking among the four and wanted transactional, I would probably pick, AK, closely followed by Bracewell and Sidley. I wouldn't consider Skadden.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Is there anyone else out there who had a CB with Weil-Dallas that has neither been offered nor rejected?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Anyone heard from HB (houston) post call-back? Its been over 2 weeks and nothing from them yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:01 pm

AK Dallas offers came out yesterday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from HB (houston) post call-back? Its been over 2 weeks and nothing from them yet.

Damn, it's been just over a week for me, and I'm starting to freak out because we were told we should hear back within a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Congrats to all those with offers and good luck to those still waiting! Thoughts on the following firms please: Thompson Knight, Bracewell, Akin Gump, Porter Hedges, Locke Lord (all in Houston)? Interested in transactional work, not at all interested in litigation.

I'd think Akin or T&K. Bracewell and LL would be better choices to me if you wanted to litigate, though they both have solid (if not outstanding) transactional departments as well. Porter Hedges is a good firm and is well known in Houston, but they are ONLY in Houston, so its not where I would go if you want to lateral within the foreseeable future. Also, PH pays slightly below the NY scale according to NALP, if that matters in your decision.

For corporate work in Houston, I would put Bracewell first, hands down, among that group of firms. It is a huge player in the market and has by far the largest corporate group of the ones you listed. The rest are all great firms, and I would probably rank them as follows: Akin, LL, Porter Hedges, TK.

Akin is obviously a great national firm but still has a strong energy practice in Houston. LL is also a great firm, but less known for their transactional work. PH is strong but very regional. TK is a great place but Dallas-centric and doesn't have a big transactional presence in Houston.

Good luck!

Would I be crazy to choose PH over some of the other, higher-ranked firms that are listed above? I really liked the people I met there, and I think it would be a good fit for me. I also am looking to stay in Houston (not lateral elsewhere) because that's where I'm from and where all my friends and family are.

I want to do transactional work, energy in particular, and I realize the deals might be a little bit smaller, I think I would be okay with that.

Is there anything that I'm missing here?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!

Would I be crazy to choose PH over some of the other, higher-ranked firms that are listed above? I really liked the people I met there, and I think it would be a good fit for me. I also am looking to stay in Houston (not lateral elsewhere) because that's where I'm from and where all my friends and family are.

I want to do transactional work, energy in particular, and I realize the deals might be a little bit smaller, I think I would be okay with that.

Nope - go with your gut. If you like the people, and they like you, your career will be much better than someone who goes to a firm solely based on Vault ranking that never really finds their niche and has to leave within a few years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck!

You're not crazy to choose PH, they are a solid firm and do good work in Houston. Their deals will be smaller, and not just a little bit, but they will still be fairly high level. If you are committed to Houston and liked the ppl you met there, there is really no reason not to follow your gut and take the offer at PH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Any opinions on which is a smarter bet between NRF and BB (both Houston) for IP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any opinions on which is a smarter bet between NRF and BB (both Houston) for IP?

BB is a pretty miserable place to work (if you're a social person), so there's that. It is probably slightly stronger for IP work, though, but not by that much.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from HB (houston) post call-back? Its been over 2 weeks and nothing from them yet.

Damn, it's been just over a week for me, and I'm starting to freak out because we were told we should hear back within a week.

Lol, they told us the same thing, hence my question/angst over not hearing anything...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Lol, they told us the same thing, hence my question/angst over not hearing anything...

Well, thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one. Please let me know when you hear back; I'll do the same. Good luck!

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any opinions on which is a smarter bet between NRF and BB (both Houston) for IP?

BB is a pretty miserable place to work (if you're a social person), so there's that. It is probably slightly stronger for IP work, though, but not by that much.

That's correct

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/usa/Editorial/43352

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 pm

So I am down to deciding between Baker Botts and V&E (both Houston). Not including the notion that BB has a bad culture, which do you think is a better firm? I have already decided on a second half firm.

By better I mean (1) quality of work (2) partnership prospects (3) exit opportunities

I am only seriously looking at corporate work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I am down to deciding between Baker Botts and V&E (both Houston). Not including the notion that BB has a bad culture, which do you think is a better firm? I have already decided on a second half firm.

By better I mean (1) quality of work (2) partnership prospects (3) exit opportunities

V&E - not even close. Quality of work is better (they always rank first in the league tables, and AK and Bracewell (and sometimes even Akin Gump) are usually ahead Baker Botts too). Partnership prospects are the same. Exit opportunities are the same if not slightly better at V&E. This isn't even a close call unless you really want to do IP work or another niche practice that isn't V&E's strong suit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I am down to deciding between Baker Botts and V&E (both Houston). Not including the notion that BB has a bad culture, which do you think is a better firm? I have already decided on a second half firm.

I'm in the same boat, so the answers to this question are definitely relevant to my interests.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there anyone else out there who had a CB with Weil-Dallas that has neither been offered nor rejected?

Yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Snail mail ding today from AK houston, interview last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

V&E - not even close. Quality of work is better (they always rank first in the league tables, and AK and Bracewell (and sometimes even Akin Gump) are usually ahead Baker Botts too). Partnership prospects are the same. Exit opportunities are the same if not slightly better at V&E. This isn't even a close call unless you really want to do IP work or another niche practice that isn't V&E's strong suit.

I don't agree with this. I realize that the OP asked about corporate work, and in that practice area, the V&E/BB/other-top-firms-you-named choice is a close one. But it isn't accurate to suggest that V&E is obviously superior outside of "niche" practice groups like IP. For example, V&E has very much de-emphasized its general litigation practice (hardly a niche), and I'd lean toward a number of firms in Houston over V&E, including BB, if that were my interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't agree with this. I realize that the OP asked about corporate work, and in that practice area, the V&E/BB/other-top-firms-you-named choice is a close one. But it isn't accurate to suggest that V&E is obviously superior outside of "niche" practice groups like IP. For example, V&E has very much de-emphasized its general litigation practice (hardly a niche), and I'd lean toward a number of firms in Houston over V&E, including BB, if that were my interest.

My reply was only for someone who was only considering corporate work. With respect to general litigation, BB and V&E aren't much different. But yes, I would pick many firms in Houston over those two if I wanted to be a litigator - but there are hardly any BigTex firms remaining that value their litigation practice very much. NRF and LL are pretty much the only ones. BB, VE, HB, BG, AK - all places I would avoid if I wanted to be a litigator.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My reply was only for someone who was only considering corporate work. With respect to general litigation, BB and V&E aren't much different. But yes, I would pick many firms in Houston over those two if I wanted to be a litigator - but there are hardly any BigTex firms remaining that value their litigation practice very much. NRF and LL are pretty much the only ones. BB, VE, HB, BG, AK - all places I would avoid if I wanted to be a litigator.

I initially read your reply only to apply to someone who was interested in corporate, but then you mentioned totally unrelated practice areas like IP, so I thought you were trying to make a broader statement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there anyone else out there who had a CB with Weil-Dallas that has neither been offered nor rejected?

Yes

Double yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's correct

http://www.chambersandpartners.com/usa/Editorial/43352

Nationally, BB has a better reputation than NRF for comprehensive IP work (prosecution, litigation, transactional).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:52 pm

This thread was very helpful in learning about Texas firms: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=194186&start=75

Return to “Legal Employment”