2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Jones Day Houston offers? Any other LL offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Chamberlain hrdlicka Houston office super Saturday was today. Let us know if anyone gets offers and when they go out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have thoughts/opinions/advice on a choice between NRF and Haynes & Boone (both Dallas)? I want to do litigation, but other things are important as well (firm culture, quality of life, billable hours, firm stability, etc.).

Since it's headquartered in Dallas, HB seems like a good choice here imo. Fantastic firm culture, good quality of life, and solid for billables and firm stability. I've heard that NRF Dallas is more of an afterthought for the firm with its Houston and other offices drawing the most resources.

Congrats on having such great options. For a lot of people in TX, the choice often comes down to V&E Houston vs. BB Houston vs. HB Dallas.

NRF Dallas is probably not an afterthought of the firm. From my discussions with a Dallas partner recently, I was told that Dallas is more profitable than Houston.

Also, NRF and HB are so different in regards to firm structure (one is international and one is essentially regional).

Go where you like the people, and if you have an offer at both, reach out to some younger associates and ask them these direct questions. When you have an offer you have a lot of leeway and leverage, so go ahead and ask the tough questions.

Dallas is anything but an afterthought. I was in the Houston office, and even we were told the Dallas office was on fire and the most profitable.

For litigation in Dallas I would go NRF. If you wanted corporate I would go HaynesBoone

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have thoughts/opinions/advice on a choice between NRF and Haynes & Boone (both Dallas)? I want to do litigation, but other things are important as well (firm culture, quality of life, billable hours, firm stability, etc.).

Do you mind telling me when your CB with HB was and when you received the offer?

I had a callback exactly a week before my offer. I think they meet every Wednesday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone waiting for news from Latham (Houston) post-CB. Got an offer via phone call from one of the partners I interviewed with at my CB this afternoon, so I would assume everyone should hear soon.

Also interested in Latham (Houston). Is there any consensus Latham fits in with the Texas energy giants? I know they've been growing like crazy over the last 3 years; how do they stack up against BB and V&E (Dallas for V&E and both for Houston)? Since partnership may not be my end goal, is L&W Houston the best option for future mobility? I like living in TX, but would be open to leaving for the right opportunity. I only want to do transactional work and have some experience in energy industry, which I enjoyed. Thoughts?

And I'm familiar with the offer rates for V&E and BB: ~85-90%. Is anyone familiar with the full-time offer rate for L&W Houston? I know this isn't the determinative factor, but since they are all first-half or 10-week programs, I would hate to play Russian Roulette with my summer.

Here is my take. I think, right now, Latham is in second place for "go to" transactional work places in Houston. I don't think that anyone can argue against saying that V&E is the top corporate practice in Houston (look at Chambers, league tables, etc). I think Baker Botts and AK are very close with Latham (and in all honesty, all these shops do great work, so this is just if we are going to split hairs).

I think if you want to stay in Texas, coming from Baker Botts or V&E will give you a better name. They are old school Texas, have been there forever and are not going anywhere. Latham will give you better exit options if you are looking to leave the state since they have a more national name.

I think your chances at partner are better from V&E or BB than Latham. Though, V&E has huge summer classes and probably the largest starting associate class of any Houston firm (thinking corporate). One big thing I worry about with Latham is what will happen to that office in the instance of an energy downturn. V&E and BB arguably weathered the recent storm relatively well, whereas Latham decided to kick as many associates out the door as they could. I am not saying that V&E and BB didnt let people go, it was just to a much lesser extent.

I have always been big on being at the HQ of a firm. So my question is, if you can go to V&E or BB in Houston (which is their HQ office) and they do work that is on the same level (maybe better in V&E's case by looking at the league tables and deal count), why wouldnt you go there instead of Latham. This is of course unless you loved the people at Latham more than the rest, in which case I would go there because that is more important than the difference in work you will be doing as it will be a very minimal difference.

I am going to bump this. See if there are any other thoughts on it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone waiting for news from Latham (Houston) post-CB. Got an offer via phone call from one of the partners I interviewed with at my CB this afternoon, so I would assume everyone should hear soon.

Also interested in Latham (Houston). Is there any consensus Latham fits in with the Texas energy giants? I know they've been growing like crazy over the last 3 years; how do they stack up against BB and V&E (Dallas for V&E and both for Houston)? Since partnership may not be my end goal, is L&W Houston the best option for future mobility? I like living in TX, but would be open to leaving for the right opportunity. I only want to do transactional work and have some experience in energy industry, which I enjoyed. Thoughts?

And I'm familiar with the offer rates for V&E and BB: ~85-90%. Is anyone familiar with the full-time offer rate for L&W Houston? I know this isn't the determinative factor, but since they are all first-half or 10-week programs, I would hate to play Russian Roulette with my summer.

Here is my take. I think, right now, Latham is in second place for "go to" transactional work places in Houston. I don't think that anyone can argue against saying that V&E is the top corporate practice in Houston (look at Chambers, league tables, etc). I think Baker Botts and AK are very close with Latham (and in all honesty, all these shops do great work, so this is just if we are going to split hairs).

I think if you want to stay in Texas, coming from Baker Botts or V&E will give you a better name. They are old school Texas, have been there forever and are not going anywhere. Latham will give you better exit options if you are looking to leave the state since they have a more national name.

I think your chances at partner are better from V&E or BB than Latham. Though, V&E has huge summer classes and probably the largest starting associate class of any Houston firm (thinking corporate). One big thing I worry about with Latham is what will happen to that office in the instance of an energy downturn. V&E and BB arguably weathered the recent storm relatively well, whereas Latham decided to kick as many associates out the door as they could. I am not saying that V&E and BB didnt let people go, it was just to a much lesser extent.

I have always been big on being at the HQ of a firm. So my question is, if you can go to V&E or BB in Houston (which is their HQ office) and they do work that is on the same level (maybe better in V&E's case by looking at the league tables and deal count), why wouldnt you go there instead of Latham. This is of course unless you loved the people at Latham more than the rest, in which case I would go there because that is more important than the difference in work you will be doing as it will be a very minimal difference.

I am going to bump this. See if there are any other thoughts on it.

Certainly wouldn't be a bad call to go to Latham. V&E is probably the safer bet, as far as roots in TX/institutional relationships go, but Latham is lighting the world on fire right now. They were across the table on a huge amount of work during my SA at a different firm, and usually in a more important role in the deal. They seem to be crazy busy, and they repped the issuers on a bunch of the major IPOs that closed this summer. So I can def see a strong argument for it. I'd probably default to what personalities I liked more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:26 am

Any V&E Dallas offers??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:53 am

Any thoughts on Thompson Knight? I enjoyed them the most out of all the TX firms and felt they were the best fit culturally, but there doesn't seem to be much buzz about their work/performance on this thread. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Thompson Knight? I enjoyed them the most out of all the TX firms and felt they were the best fit culturally, but there doesn't seem to be much buzz about their work/performance on this thread. Thanks in advance for the responses.

I lived in TX for a couple years, and they are certainly a well-respected name in TX legal circles, especially in Dallas. People seem to have great exit options within the state and its political/business circles afterwards.

Has anyone heard of T&K Dallas offers/dings going out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on Thompson Knight? I enjoyed them the most out of all the TX firms and felt they were the best fit culturally, but there doesn't seem to be much buzz about their work/performance on this thread. Thanks in advance for the responses.

I lived in TX for a couple years, and they are certainly a well-respected name in TX legal circles, especially in Dallas. People seem to have great exit options within the state and its political/business circles afterwards.

Has anyone heard of T&K Dallas offers/dings going out?

Thanks for the info. And I think both Dallas and Houston have sent out some offers, but I'm not certain they've sent out all of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:25 pm

I was hoping someone could share some insight on Andrews Kurth Dallas. My questions and thoughts are similar to above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Offer from Andrews Kurth Houston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:44 pm

V&E Dallas offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V&E Dallas offer

PM me if you have VE dallas Qs

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:V&E Dallas offer

PM me if you have VE dallas Qs

Oops, didn't mean to make that anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Anybody heard from NRF houston since the last round of offers? Also anyone know what their program dates are?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody heard from NRF houston since the last round of offers? Also anyone know what their program dates are?

Program dates are May 12th - July 18th

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody heard from NRF houston since the last round of offers? Also anyone know what their program dates are?

Program dates are May 12th - July 18th

Thx!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Waiting for an Andrews Kurth (Dallas) offer; has anyone received an offer from the firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Waiting for replies from Porter Hedges and Bracewell and Baker Botts (all Houston). Does anyone have any idea as to time frame/day the hiring committee makes calls?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:35 pm

NRF Austin Offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:47 pm

NRF Houston offer today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NRF Houston offer today.

When did you interview? I was there recently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Waiting for an Andrews Kurth (Dallas) offer; has anyone received an offer from the firm?

Friend of mine got one about a week after his CB, that was over a week ago though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:13 am

Very helpful, thank you

Return to “Legal Employment”