2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Echoing above questions: if anyone received an offer from Bracewell or Baker Botts, how long did it take from CB to offer?

3 weeks BB Houston, but I was a really early CB.

1 week for me for BB Houston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Any news from Jones Day Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:11 pm

What are you guys thoughts on splitting with a NY firm? I was hoping to do NY in the first half and do the last 6 weeks in TX but im concerned that even if a firm allowed that they might end up no offering me at the end of the summer. Thoughts? Is this a horrible idea?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are you guys thoughts on splitting with a NY firm? I was hoping to do NY in the first half and do the last 6 weeks in TX but im concerned that even if a firm allowed that they might end up no offering me at the end of the summer. Thoughts? Is this a horrible idea?

+1 but with a DC firm 1st half and Texas firm second half

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Has anyone heard from Morgan Lewis Houston post-CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are you guys thoughts on splitting with a NY firm? I was hoping to do NY in the first half and do the last 6 weeks in TX but im concerned that even if a firm allowed that they might end up no offering me at the end of the summer. Thoughts? Is this a horrible idea?

+1 but with a DC firm 1st half and Texas firm second half

I have heard that Texas has a habit of no offering people who split with NY or DC because often they feel you would prefer to be in that city, otherwise you would have stayed in TX. But that is just what I have heard. I wont say what firm, but the only person that I know who was no offered at the firm I was a 1L at was a person who split with a NYC firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:13 pm

I got a CB at a Dallas office of a big 3 firm, but I would prefer Houston. I expressed a preference for both during the interview but have not heard back from Houston. My ties to Houston are much stronger. Any advice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:22 pm

LL (Houston) Offer - Yesterday afternoon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Has anyone heard from Andrews Kurth in Dallas? I know they are a little slower than most with decisions, but I thought maybe they'd let some people know today.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a CB at a Dallas office of a big 3 firm, but I would prefer Houston. I expressed a preference for both during the interview but have not heard back from Houston. My ties to Houston are much stronger. Any advice?

If the screener was for both offices and they gave you a callback for the Dallas office, it sounds like that office claimed you for whatever reason. (Possibly based on the practice area you're interested in.) If you really want to work for the firm even if it's in their Dallas office, then I'd say take the CB and don't look back. However, if you've got other offers that you'd take over their Dallas office, then tell them you only really want Houston. Worst thing that happens is you're left with the options you would have taken in the first place.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got a CB at a Dallas office of a big 3 firm, but I would prefer Houston. I expressed a preference for both during the interview but have not heard back from Houston. My ties to Houston are much stronger. Any advice?

If the screener was for both offices and they gave you a callback for the Dallas office, it sounds like that office claimed you for whatever reason. (Possibly based on the practice area you're interested in.) If you really want to work for the firm even if it's in their Dallas office, then I'd say take the CB and don't look back. However, if you've got other offers that you'd take over their Dallas office, then tell them you only really want Houston. Worst thing that happens is you're left with the options you would have taken in the first place.

This makes sense. Thank you for the advice. Would you mind if I PM'd you with more specifics?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone waiting for news from Latham (Houston) post-CB. Got an offer via phone call from one of the partners I interviewed with at my CB this afternoon, so I would assume everyone should hear soon.

Also interested in Latham (Houston). Is there any consensus Latham fits in with the Texas energy giants? I know they've been growing like crazy over the last 3 years; how do they stack up against BB and V&E (Dallas for V&E and both for Houston)? Since partnership may not be my end goal, is L&W Houston the best option for future mobility? I like living in TX, but would be open to leaving for the right opportunity. I only want to do transactional work and have some experience in energy industry, which I enjoyed. Thoughts?

And I'm familiar with the offer rates for V&E and BB: ~85-90%. Is anyone familiar with the full-time offer rate for L&W Houston? I know this isn't the determinative factor, but since they are all first-half or 10-week programs, I would hate to play Russian Roulette with my summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone waiting for news from Latham (Houston) post-CB. Got an offer via phone call from one of the partners I interviewed with at my CB this afternoon, so I would assume everyone should hear soon.

Also interested in Latham (Houston). Is there any consensus Latham fits in with the Texas energy giants? I know they've been growing like crazy over the last 3 years; how do they stack up against BB and V&E (Dallas for V&E and both for Houston)? Since partnership may not be my end goal, is L&W Houston the best option for future mobility? I like living in TX, but would be open to leaving for the right opportunity. I only want to do transactional work and have some experience in energy industry, which I enjoyed. Thoughts?

And I'm familiar with the offer rates for V&E and BB: ~85-90%. Is anyone familiar with the full-time offer rate for L&W Houston? I know this isn't the determinative factor, but since they are all first-half or 10-week programs, I would hate to play Russian Roulette with my summer.

Latham seems to be taking on a lot of good transactional and oil and gas work in Houston. They started the office with 8 partners poached from V&E, BB and Akin. All of their partners (iirc) are former partners at big 3-4 of texas energy law.

If you only want to do transactional work, it is the way to go, they have no lit in Houston.

I think their entire class got offers in Houston next year. Vault says that 119 of 123 firm wide summers got offers in 2012, and im pretty sure at least 2 of those were in NY. At my CB, the associates I went to lunch with said their goal is to have 120+ attorneys in Houston in the next year or two.

Full disclosure, I got an offer from and I am going to take it. The only question for me right now is whether I will spend the full 10 weeks with LW or just 8. It depends on the flexibility of another firm I have not heard back from yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Latham seems to be taking on a lot of good transactional and oil and gas work in Houston. They started the office with 8 partners poached from V&E, BB and Akin. All of their partners (iirc) are former partners at big 3-4 of texas energy law.

If you only want to do transactional work, it is the way to go, they have no lit in Houston.

I think their entire class got offers in Houston next year. Vault says that 119 of 123 firm wide summers got offers in 2012, and im pretty sure at least 2 of those were in NY. At my CB, the associates I went to lunch with said their goal is to have 120+ attorneys in Houston in the next year or two.

Full disclosure, I got an offer from and I am going to take it. The only question for me right now is whether I will spend the full 10 weeks with LW or just 8. It depends on the flexibility of another firm I have not heard back from yet.

Doesn't the summer program start in May? Which Houston firms would be okay with you doing 4 weeks in the second half?

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:

This makes sense. Thank you for the advice. Would you mind if I PM'd you with more specifics?

Not at all

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Doesn't the summer program start in May? Which Houston firms would be okay with you doing 4 weeks in the second half?

Its a smaller firm that I have ties to. I could cram 6 weeks in if I did 8 at Latham. Its not likely, but im not closing doors yet.

I will say this about Latham in Houston. It was the only call back that I liked everyone i met with and felt like I had a genuine conversation with each of them. Also, considering the "traditional" texas energy firms weren't interested (still no ding from V&E, but i know its not going to happen), and I want to do Oil and Gas work, Latham is an ideal situation for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Its a smaller firm that I have ties to. I could cram 6 weeks in if I did 8 at Latham. Its not likely, but im not closing doors yet.

I will say this about Latham in Houston. It was the only call back that I liked everyone i met with and felt like I had a genuine conversation with each of them. Also, considering the "traditional" texas energy firms weren't interested (still no ding from V&E, but i know its not going to happen), and I want to do Oil and Gas work, Latham is an ideal situation for me.

Congrats man. I got dinged from Latham, but from what I understand, when it comes to transactional work in Houston, V&E and Latham are the clear leaders. And if what you're saying about Latham's expansion is true (120 attorneys in the next year or two?!), it sounds like you're in a great position. My screener for Latham couldn't stop talking about what a great success the office was for the firm and how it was the most profitable ever. Enjoy NY big law salary with TX col, and try not to get Lathamed, I guess ;)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Here is my take. I think, right now, Latham is in second place for "go to" transactional work places in Houston. I don't think that anyone can argue against saying that V&E is the top corporate practice in Houston (look at Chambers, league tables, etc). I think Baker Botts and AK are very close with Latham (and in all honesty, all these shops do great work, so this is just if we are going to split hairs).

I think if you want to stay in Texas, coming from Baker Botts or V&E will give you a better name. They are old school Texas, have been there forever and are not going anywhere. Latham will give you better exit options if you are looking to leave the state since they have a more national name.

I think your chances at partner are better from V&E or BB than Latham. Though, V&E has huge summer classes and probably the largest starting associate class of any Houston firm (thinking corporate). One big thing I worry about with Latham is what will happen to that office in the instance of an energy downturn. V&E and BB arguably weathered the recent storm relatively well, whereas Latham decided to kick as many associates out the door as they could. I am not saying that V&E and BB didnt let people go, it was just to a much lesser extent.

I have always been big on being at the HQ of a firm. So my question is, if you can go to V&E or BB in Houston (which is their HQ office) and they do work that is on the same level (maybe better in V&E's case by looking at the league tables and deal count), why wouldnt you go there instead of Latham. This is of course unless you loved the people at Latham more than the rest, in which case I would go there because that is more important than the difference in work you will be doing as it will be a very minimal difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:22 am

How does NRF/F&J compare in the transactional (specifically corporate, energy, and the like) department with the likes of BB and V&E? Or are they primarily litigation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:How does NRF/F&J compare in the transactional (specifically corporate, energy, and the like) department with the likes of BB and V&E? Or are they primarily litigation?

NRF is known for their litigation. They do not have the same quality or size corporate practice as BB or V&E. Though, I will say, with this combination I have heard that their corporate practice is booming and this combination has brought in a ton of corp work for them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Has anyone heard post CB from JW-ft worth?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Does anybody have thoughts/opinions/advice on a choice between NRF and Haynes & Boone (both Dallas)? I want to do litigation, but other things are important as well (firm culture, quality of life, billable hours, firm stability, etc.).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have thoughts/opinions/advice on a choice between NRF and Haynes & Boone (both Dallas)? I want to do litigation, but other things are important as well (firm culture, quality of life, billable hours, firm stability, etc.).

Do you mind telling me when your CB with HB was and when you received the offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have thoughts/opinions/advice on a choice between NRF and Haynes & Boone (both Dallas)? I want to do litigation, but other things are important as well (firm culture, quality of life, billable hours, firm stability, etc.).

Since it's headquartered in Dallas, HB seems like a good choice here imo. Fantastic firm culture, good quality of life, and solid for billables and firm stability. I've heard that NRF Dallas is more of an afterthought for the firm with its Houston and other offices drawing the most resources.

Congrats on having such great options. For a lot of people in TX, the choice often comes down to V&E Houston vs. BB Houston vs. HB Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Since it's headquartered in Dallas, HB seems like a good choice here imo. Fantastic firm culture, good quality of life, and solid for billables and firm stability. I've heard that NRF Dallas is more of an afterthought for the firm with its Houston and other offices drawing the most resources.

Congrats on having such great options. For a lot of people in TX, the choice often comes down to V&E Houston vs. BB Houston vs. HB Dallas.

NRF Dallas is probably not an afterthought of the firm. From my discussions with a Dallas partner recently, I was told that Dallas is more profitable than Houston.

Also, NRF and HB are so different in regards to firm structure (one is international and one is essentially regional).

Go where you like the people, and if you have an offer at both, reach out to some younger associates and ask them these direct questions. When you have an offer you have a lot of leeway and leverage, so go ahead and ask the tough questions.

Return to “Legal Employment”