2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Does anyone know if NRF (aka F&J) give you the option to work with them the entire summer? I couldn't find this on their website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if NRF (aka F&J) give you the option to work with them the entire summer? I couldn't find this on their website.

They told me at my callback (Houston) that 6 weeks was a minimum and maximum. So, no to the full summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if NRF (aka F&J) give you the option to work with them the entire summer? I couldn't find this on their website.

They told me at my callback (Houston) that 6 weeks was a minimum and maximum. So, no to the full summer.

Darn it. Definitely doing first half with them, but does this mean I need to be mass-mailing for a second-half gig as well? Only one second-half OCI firm that hasn't rejected me yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Has anyone heard from Weil Dallas post-CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Weil Dallas post-CB?

Yes. Weil Dallas offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Trying to decide between Baker Botts and V&E (both Houston). Looking to do corporate work. Any advice, and why?

I think the general consensus on these boards is that V&E is a better Corporate option than BB - not to mention the fact that BB has a reputation as a miserable place to work. Personally, if I wanted to do Corporate work in Houston, I would have V&E and Latham as my top two choices, then AK, then Bracewell (both being very close behind my other choices), and then BB.

I'm curious: what is the basis for the view BB is miserable (or that V&E is any better, as far as BIGLAW goes)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Would be interested to know if anyone has had any movement on Fish & Richardson (Dallas).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still no CBs from AZA? Away from my mailbox so wont be seeing the ding for a while if its in the mail.

I already had my callback with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Trying to decide between Baker Botts and V&E (both Houston). Looking to do corporate work. Any advice, and why?

I think the general consensus on these boards is that V&E is a better Corporate option than BB - not to mention the fact that BB has a reputation as a miserable place to work. Personally, if I wanted to do Corporate work in Houston, I would have V&E and Latham as my top two choices, then AK, then Bracewell (both being very close behind my other choices), and then BB.

I'm curious: what is the basis for the view BB is miserable (or that V&E is any better, as far as BIGLAW goes)?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 pm

So I've had a couple of callbacks and I'm curious if anyone has gotten offers.

AZA
BB Austin
BB Houston
AK Houston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good friend of mine summered at BB Houston and loved it, and he isnt a nerdy guy at all. I think they are just not as "cool" as V&E. Also, I think V&E does slightly better corporate work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good friend of mine summered at BB Houston and loved it, and he isnt a nerdy guy at all. I think they are just not as "cool" as V&E. Also, I think V&E does slightly better corporate work.

The problem is that if you only summer at BB you won't know how miserable it is. V&E is better than BB because the people are enjoyable. At BB the people are "nice" but, for the most part, insufferably uptight, nerdy, and/or boring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Weil Dallas post-CB?

Yes. Weil Dallas offer.

When/how did you hear?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:43 pm

Different poster with Weil Dallas offer. Received call from previous interviewer yesterday (9/3) afternoon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Have multiple friends who went on callbacks at BB's Houston office and came back saying they'd never want to work there. I can only speak on their Dallas office, but the attorneys there were a little "stuffy" compared with attorneys from other big firms (though they were still nice).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have multiple friends who went on callbacks at BB's Houston office and came back saying they'd never want to work there. I can only speak on their Dallas office, but the attorneys there were a little "stuffy" compared with attorneys from other big firms (though they were still nice).

That sounds about right. Also, BB Dallas isn't nearly as much of a player in Dallas as you would expect it to be, especially on the transactional side of things. I would only consider BB Dallas if I wanted to do IP work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Norton Rose Fulbright Austin post CB?

Different asker, same question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:35 pm

For anyone waiting for news from Latham (Houston) post-CB. Got an offer via phone call from one of the partners I interviewed with at my CB this afternoon, so I would assume everyone should hear soon.

Good Luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from V&E Dallas or Locke Lord Dallas post-CB?

Know of someone w/ LL Dallas offer at my school they heard about a week ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:08 pm

If anyone has received an offer from Reed Smith or Baker Hostetler, can you tell me how long the time span was between CB and offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Echoing above questions: if anyone received an offer from Bracewell or Baker Botts, how long did it take from CB to offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has received an offer from Reed Smith or Baker Hostetler, can you tell me how long the time span was between CB and offer?

Also interested in this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Echoing above questions: if anyone received an offer from Bracewell or Baker Botts, how long did it take from CB to offer?

3 weeks BB Houston, but I was a really early CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Anyone that interviewed at V&E Houston later than August 28 receive any news yet? I heard their hiring committee meets on Wednesdays.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Anyone hear anything from Gibson Dunn Dallas post-cb?

Return to “Legal Employment”