2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 am

emkay625 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:It's a ding so I don't feel the need to use anon, but ding from Gibbs and Bruns about 40 minutes ago. Bummed because only ding so far and they were my first choice by far. It was a very polite ding though - email personalized with specific things about my interview. Everyone there seemed so nice when I met them, best of luck to anyone who has a callback there. It seems like an amazing place to work.


I'm sorry to hear about the ding, but as a practicing mid level in Dallas, I can assure you that there are other good firms to work at in Dallas. I would encourage everyone here not to get so specific about their top choices - you'll see once you start practicing that the firms are way more alike than you'll realize and nowhere is perfect. Also, if you're a strong candidate, you'll be bombarded with lateral opportunities.

And, finally, with respect to GDC, it has some fantastic work and some very smart people, but its also kind of a sweatshop and I'm not sure they've made a single partner there in the last decade (other than lateral partners) - you could very well be better off somewhere else.


I think you're talking about Gibson Dunn, not Gibbs and Bruns.


I am indeed. Thanks for not calling me a complete idiot for doing so... the general message of my post still applies, though. As great as Gibbs and Bruns is, there are plenty of other fantastic lit boutiques in Houston - and I'm not just talking about Susman, Yetter, and Beck Redden. There are tons of great up and coming lit boutiques that would be great places to get a foot in the door.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Jones Day CB


Dallas or Houston?


Dallas

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Does anyone know where we can find information about the 2013 summer associate offer rates? Looking for numbers for TX offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Does anybody know if Dentons pay market? Can't find this information anywhere..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
And, finally, with respect to GDC, it has some fantastic work and some very smart people, but its also kind of a sweatshop and I'm not sure they've made a single partner there in the last decade (other than lateral partners) - you could very well be better off somewhere else.


To follow up on the GDC comment, I agree that if you want to make partner, you are certainly better off elsewhere. At least for M&A, though, if you want to get really high quality work and experience as a young associate, it's a great spot to be. Word is that they would actually like to make an internal partner, but the in house opportunities are so good it's hard to keep people past year 4 or 5. Given that for many of us the goal is to get to the best in-house position we can as quickly as possible, it might be worth putting in a few years at GDC for the right exit options.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Thoughts on Porter Hedges?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
And, finally, with respect to GDC, it has some fantastic work and some very smart people, but its also kind of a sweatshop and I'm not sure they've made a single partner there in the last decade (other than lateral partners) - you could very well be better off somewhere else.


To follow up on the GDC comment, I agree that if you want to make partner, you are certainly better off elsewhere. At least for M&A, though, if you want to get really high quality work and experience as a young associate, it's a great spot to be. Word is that they would actually like to make an internal partner, but the in house opportunities are so good it's hard to keep people past year 4 or 5. Given that for many of us the goal is to get to the best in-house position we can as quickly as possible, it might be worth putting in a few years at GDC for the right exit options.


I doubt the exit options will be any better than V&E or BB, where partner is actually attainable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
And, finally, with respect to GDC, it has some fantastic work and some very smart people, but its also kind of a sweatshop and I'm not sure they've made a single partner there in the last decade (other than lateral partners) - you could very well be better off somewhere else.


To follow up on the GDC comment, I agree that if you want to make partner, you are certainly better off elsewhere. At least for M&A, though, if you want to get really high quality work and experience as a young associate, it's a great spot to be. Word is that they would actually like to make an internal partner, but the in house opportunities are so good it's hard to keep people past year 4 or 5. Given that for many of us the goal is to get to the best in-house position we can as quickly as possible, it might be worth putting in a few years at GDC for the right exit options.


I doubt the exit options will be any better than V&E or BB, where partner is actually attainable.


The exit ops at probably the top 10 firms in Dallas will all be very, very similar - you would be surprised. I would also add that partnership chances are very very small at each of those same 10 firms. And even if one has more partnership chances than another (say 10% v. 2%), with the odds being that low, you are better picking among the firms based on cultures. Career advancement has more to do with your political allies within the firm than almost anything else (assuming you've met the work ethic and competency threshold), so it is very smart to pick a firm where you can build relationships. That will serve you much better in the long run than picking on Vault rankings, Chambers rankings, etc. The only counter to that is to make sure to pick a firm/office without any lingering organizational problems.

AFS
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby AFS » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Anybody heard anything from JW(houston) or TK(houston) yet? Are those firms just usually slow in moving?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:09 pm

I had the same question as well. Haven't heard from JW (Houston).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:10 pm

AFS wrote:Anybody heard anything from JW(houston) or TK(houston) yet? Are those firms just usually slow in moving?


TK Houston has given call backs- UHLC 2L

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:19 pm

AFS wrote:Anybody heard anything from JW(houston) or TK(houston) yet? Are those firms just usually slow in moving?


Rejection letter in the mail from TK-Houston. Silence from JW-San Antonio, but not sure whether that says anything about Houston.

AFS
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby AFS » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:40 pm

AFS wrote:Anybody heard anything from JW(houston) or TK(houston) yet? Are those firms just usually slow in moving?



Sorry, I should clarify. I'm talking about UT OCI here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:21 pm

CBs so far - 2L at UT

JW - Austin
TK - Houston
HB - Dallas
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Jones Day (Non-Texas)
Pillsbury Winthrop - Houston
Fulbright - Austin

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CBs so far - 2L at UT

JW - Austin
TK - Houston
HB - Dallas
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Jones Day (Non-Texas)
Pillsbury Winthrop - Houston
Fulbright - Austin


Is Jones Day (non-Texas) the DC office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CBs so far - 2L at UT

JW - Austin
TK - Houston
HB - Dallas
Alston & Bird - Dallas
Jones Day (Non-Texas)
Pillsbury Winthrop - Houston
Fulbright - Austin


Is Jones Day (non-Texas) the DC office?


No. I didn't list it because it would easily out me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Was Cox Smith giving on-the-spot CBs today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:35 am

Was the Reed Smith dinner/reception tonight for everyone who interviewed with Reed Smith or was it like a callback reception?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:45 am

UT here. I'm pretty sure the screener stage of my OCI is done. I just have a couple left and none of them are serious prospects. I'm just slightly above median (URM for what it's worth), and I ended up with 4 CBs in Houston (hometown). Four is a modest number, but I'll take it because I came in really expecting the absolute worst.

I think other folks around median like me shouldn't panic if you have less than 5 CBs. Now is the time to prepare like hell and knock 'em out of the ballpark.

Best of luck to everyone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Was the Reed Smith dinner/reception tonight for everyone who interviewed with Reed Smith or was it like a callback reception?


They had one for UHLC, I believe it was for everyone who interviewed.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know where we can find information about the 2013 summer associate offer rates? Looking for numbers for TX offices.


Texas Lawyer runs the numbers of Texas-based firms, but I believe the #s are firmwide. I believe the office-by-office numbers are not available to the public.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:01 am

Any UT hear from Gardere (Dallas) yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any UT hear from Gardere (Dallas) yet?


Met with Gardere (Houston) and have not heard anything. Judging from posts from the past couple years, it seems like they may take longer to get back. Also, anyone heard from JW (San Antonio), Cox Smith, Dentons (Dallas), or Akin Gump (Dallas)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any UT hear from Gardere (Dallas) yet?


Met with Gardere (Houston) and have not heard anything. Judging from posts from the past couple years, it seems like they may take longer to get back. Also, anyone heard from JW (San Antonio), Cox Smith, Dentons (Dallas), or Akin Gump (Dallas)?


Akin Gump (Dallas) has already scheduled some CBs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:42 am

Can confirm both Dentons (Dallas) and Akin Gump (Dallas) have sent out call backs.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.