2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Texas OCI (+all Texas firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:40 pm

I asked this in the other Texas thread and no one responded so I'll put it here as well: Thoughts on Bracewell Houston v. V&E Houston for someone interested in a transactional/m&a/corporate practice in general?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I asked this in the other Texas thread and no one responded so I'll put it here as well: Thoughts on Bracewell Houston v. V&E Houston for someone interested in a transactional/m&a/corporate practice in general?

Aren't they different halves? Just split.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:58 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I asked this in the other Texas thread and no one responded so I'll put it here as well: Thoughts on Bracewell Houston v. V&E Houston for someone interested in a transactional/m&a/corporate practice in general?

I actually just finished clerking and I'm just fishing for feedback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

You clerked at both? you should have as good a feel as anyone on this board.

But really, V&E is better...and its not even close

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Why do you say that? Both are considered to be top firms for energy deals in my opinion. I think the perception is definitely that V&E is a better firm. I'm just not sure I know exactly why.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why do you say that? Both are considered to be top firms for energy deals in my opinion. I think the perception is definitely that V&E is a better firm. I'm just not sure I know exactly why.

I think most people in Texas just know that V&E has the best corp practice in Texas. I don't think it's enough to overrun you loving it at BG over V&E, but all else equal, V&E is king of corp in texas. Look at the league tables

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think most people in Texas just know that V&E has the best corp practice in Texas. I don't think it's enough to overrun you loving it at BG over V&E, but all else equal, V&E is king of corp in texas. Look at the league tables

http://www.mergermarket.com/pdf/Mergerm ... Report.pdf

That's for Texas. By value, they're both within 2 ranks of each other for the past two years, with Bracewell being #1 this time last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell and Giuliani callbacks going out via email, one at a time.

Are they for Houston or NYC?

Houston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

http://www.mergermarket.com/pdf/Mergerm ... Report.pdf

That's for Texas. By value, they're both within 2 ranks of each other for the past two years, with Bracewell being #1 this time last year.

Look at the deal count. V&E blows everyone out of the water. I am surprised Baker Botts is not higher.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Anyone know the story of Baker Botts callback brunch with UT students

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the story of Baker Botts callback brunch with UT students

The invite didn't say anything about callbacks. I'm pretty sure it was only sent to certain people but doesn't guarantee a callback. Probably similar to how Fulbright's dinner invite didn't guarantee a CB (I got a dinner invite, couldn't attend, and haven't heard about a CB)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the story of Baker Botts callback brunch with UT students

The invite didn't say anything about callbacks. I'm pretty sure it was only sent to certain people but doesn't guarantee a callback. Probably similar to how Fulbright's dinner invite didn't guarantee a CB (I got a dinner invite, couldn't attend, and haven't heard about a CB)

Returning 1Ls were specifically told that the attendees would be those who BB anticipated would receive a CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Strasburger has begun to send out dings via email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from HayBoo Dallas. CBs from TK and Weil.

Was it via e-mail or snail mail? The ding from HayBoo, that is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Returning 1Ls were specifically told that the attendees would be those who BB anticipated would receive a CB.

So if you didn't receive an invitation to the brunch tomorrow, should you not bother going to the reception tonight?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Got a CB with AK Dallas. From Texas but attend a school outside the state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How did you receive the invite? During the screener?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Summary of places we know have already given callbacks:

Skadden Houston, Susman Godfrey, Sidley Austin, Vinson & Elkins, Scott Douglass McConnico, Thompson & Knight, Bracewell and Guiliani (Houston), Latham Watkins, Fulbright Dallas, plus this whole Fulbright diner and Baker Botts brunch thing.

I'm sure I'm missing things. Quote and add more so we can have a comprehensive list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So if you didn't receive an invitation to the brunch tomorrow, should you not bother going to the reception tonight?

No idea. Just passing on what we were told.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Summary of places we know have already given callbacks:

Skadden Houston, Susman Godfrey, Sidley Austin, Vinson & Elkins, Scott Douglass McConnico, Thompson & Knight, Bracewell and Guiliani (Houston), Latham Watkins, Fulbright Dallas, plus this whole Fulbright diner and Baker Botts brunch thing.

I'm sure I'm missing things. Quote and add more so we can have a comprehensive list.

Andrews Kurth (Dallas), Haynes and Boone, McCool Smith, Patton Boggs, K L Gates (Dallas).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Andrews Kurth (Dallas), Haynes and Boone, McCool Smith, Patton Boggs, K L Gates (Dallas).

Akin Gump Houston as well

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How did you receive the invite? During the screener?

I've heard of both during screener and after, via email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Hayboo all firms or just Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hayboo all firms or just Dallas?

Dallas

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 pm

K&L Gates has given out callbacks or already sent out rejections?

Return to “Legal Employment”