To Asia --- And Back?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SHANbangs

To Asia --- And Back?

Postby SHANbangs » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:44 am

I have a question regarding starting out in Asia as a U.S. JD at, for example, a V100/Magic Circle firm's Asia office. If you worked there for a few years, what are the chances of ever coming back to the U.S. to practice?

Alternatively, we can modify this question a bit and ask whether a U.S. JD with 3-4 years of NY cap markets/corporate experience who laterals to Asia can ever expect to come back to NY?

In either case, the question is whether the person is stuck in Asia forever.

BFrankBYangC

Re: To Asia --- And Back?

Postby BFrankBYangC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 pm

I can't speak from personal experience, but I have a friend who works at a Skadden office in Asia. He seemed to think that starting out there makes it very hard to come back to the states. It's too bad really. I'd love to spend 5 years working in Asia, but I don't think I'm down to settle there permanently.

Return to “Legal Employment”