No-Offers On the Way?!?!?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No-Offers On the Way?!?!?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:22 am

I work at a NY firm that has offered 100% of its summer associates in the past 5 years EXCEPT for 1 complete fuck up. The firm typically extends offers within the last couple days of the summer program, and the hiring committee told us to expect the same this year. The program is winding down now, and we were recently told that we should NOT expect to have offers by the last day. The summer class nearly doubled from last year and the hiring committee is supposedly having difficulty getting through all the assignment reviews in time. There has been a lot of speculation that the committee has already made decisions but does not want to "out" the 1 or more summers who did not make the cut. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Most of us need to quickly jump on OCI now...

NYstate

Re: No-Offers On the Way?!?!?

Postby NYstate » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:26 am

Why would you not do OCI, such as it is, anyway? You don't have a job. You might have a job. You probably have a job. But, you don't have an actual job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:32 am

OP here. My school had fewer than 5 firms for 3L OCI. Also, this firm is a boutique for a specialized area of law. I think most of us are committed to staying in this area.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. My school had fewer than 5 firms for 3L OCI. Also, this firm is a boutique for a specialized area of law. I think most of us are committed to staying in this area.

So what is your question? What advice do you seek? How would we know if your firm is giving no offers?

My guess: the firm is telling you the truth about the hiring decisions not being finalized. I don't think they would do this to protect one person. Whether they have room for everyone is a different question .

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:33 am

Doesn't sound like no-offers are coming. It sounds like they still need to evaluate you guys and having more summers means more evaluations means more work means more time . . .

Nothing sounds fishy to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work at a NY firm that has offered 100% of its summer associates in the past 5 years EXCEPT for 1 complete fuck up. The firm typically extends offers within the last couple days of the summer program, and the hiring committee told us to expect the same this year. The program is winding down now, and we were recently told that we should NOT expect to have offers by the last day. The summer class nearly doubled from last year and the hiring committee is supposedly having difficulty getting through all the assignment reviews in time. There has been a lot of speculation that the committee has already made decisions but does not want to "out" the 1 or more summers who did not make the cut. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Most of us need to quickly jump on OCI now...

Nothing is definite. I will tell you, however, that the firm I'm at did this last year. They typically gave offers on the last day. They did not do this last year, because they offered everyone except one person. You never know, but anything is possible.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:38 pm

There has been a lot of speculation that the committee has already made decisions but does not want to "out" the 1 or more summers who did not make the cut.

That's a pretty sound justification for delaying offers. It would be poor form to give out offers to all but one person, and then have cocktails in the conference room in the last day. It would really stink for that one person who didn't get an offer.

Just another way of saying don't worry... unless you're that one person. But you'd have a pretty good idea if you were, so really don't worry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:03 pm

OP. Offers started to go out. Yesterday they told us within 1 week but I guess it's within 1 day 8)

Still waiting to see if this whole delay was to spare an awkward no-offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”