Career Alternatives with a Law Degree??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Career Alternatives with a Law Degree??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:06 am

Hi, all. So, I'm determined to finish up at my Top LAC and hopefully get into law school but I was wondering if acquiring a prestigious law degree would make it "easier" to break into a highly competitive industry, specifically Diplomacy and International Relations (UN) and Big Time Broadcast Journalism (think CNN or NBC news anchor/reporter). I know it's a bit far-fetched, but I've always wanted pursue these industries but was discouraged by the state of the economy and the liklihood of actually attaining these positions. I'm also still interested in Academia and Corporate Law but they've only become recent goals for me.

Thanks

Bikeflip

Re: Career Alternatives with a Law Degree??

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:52 am

Don't go to law school if you don't want to be lawyer.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:04 am

1. What language(s) do you know? Go do a Fulbright. They even have specific diplomatic and journalism programs.

2. Are your parents paying for it? $200,000 debt is terrifying.

3. You don't sound like you know what you want to do with your life. That's fine. But "I don't know what I what to do with my life, so I'll go to law school" is a turrible idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:32 am

I have met diplomats with law degrees. I do think that international law may help a bit. But it's not necessary to do a law degree. You would probably get better connections and opportunities getting a Masters at Georgetown or John Hopkins-SAIS at least with foreign affairs.

You also have to know what exactly in foreign affairs you want to do. Do you want to go into the Foreign Service? You just need to pass an exam for that. But you first have to know whether it's something you are truly interested in. I was a State Department intern abroad during college and realized that while it's incredible, there are a lot of negatives. It is very different than practicing law in my opinion.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:38 am

A law degree may help for some other careers, but there is always a better, cheaper way to help that career.

For example, you could get a law degree to marginally help your political career. Or, you work in a senator's office for 3 years, make connections, and earn a salary. The latter will save you hundreds of thousands of dollars and be a more direct way of pursuing your goals.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:43 am

There's no reason for this to be an anonymous. Don't go to law school. Get an MPA instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:06 pm

nothingtosee wrote:1. What language(s) do you know? Go do a Fulbright. They even have specific diplomatic and journalism programs.

2. Are your parents paying for it? $200,000 debt is terrifying.

3. You don't sound like you know what you want to do with your life. That's fine. But "I don't know what I what to do with my life, so I'll go to law school" is a turrible idea.

1. English, French, and Native Language (Yoruba)

2. No, but I'm hoping for substantial merit aid at T14.

3. I know this is weird, but I"ve always known that I wanted to attain a law degree, but I was never quite certain on what path I wanted to take afterwards that would be most suited for me.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3. I know this is weird, but I"ve always known that I wanted to attain a law degree, but I was never quite certain on what path I wanted to take afterwards that would be most suited for me.

It is weird. A law degree is a means to an end. If you don't know what end you want, then it is pointless to attain the means.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:23 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3. I know this is weird, but I"ve always known that I wanted to attain a law degree, but I was never quite certain on what path I wanted to take afterwards that would be most suited for me.

It is weird. A law degree is a means to an end. If you don't know what end you want, then it is pointless to attain the means.

Also, if what you do want involves something sexy and glamorous like being a CNN anchor or a diplomat, you are perfectly positioned to become one of the most disillusioned and sad members of your class when you do not become an anchor or a diplomat. The law is a highly-technical, research-and-writing profession. It is nothing like what you see on TV.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Oh yeah, read the rules before posting. This forum is not for 0Ls.

Return to “Legal Employment”