tell me something about yourself that's not on your resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

tell me something about yourself that's not on your resume

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:22 pm

I get this question all the time. I have an interest section. My resume basically encapsulates my life. Anything else is just an extrapolation on something already on the resume. What are people looking for?

Anonymous User

Re: tell me something about yourself that's not on your resume

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:46 pm

I've thought about this question too. Could I mention things I'm working now In the summer that didn't makemy resume? For example. I'm in the black law student association at th e moment, and Im currently working ina brief for a mock trial competition in october, AND also working start a new law journal at my school. Would that be good?

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've thought about this question too. Could I mention things I'm working now In the summer that didn't makemy resume? For example. I'm in the black law student association at th e moment, and Im currently working ina brief for a mock trial competition in october, AND also working start a new law journal at my school. Would that be good?
I think that would be a great thing to talk about in this situation, FWIW. Maybe expand upon why you enjoy what you're doing (assuming you do enjoy it; I don't know why you would talk about it if you didn't enjoy it at least a little). Sounds like a great answer to me.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:53 pm

You're entire life is on one piece of paper? That's kind of sad, bro. You dont have any personal interests or maybe a HS job/volunteering experience or anything you can talk about.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've thought about this question too. Could I mention things I'm working now In the summer that didn't makemy resume? For example. I'm in the black law student association at th e moment, and Im currently working ina brief for a mock trial competition in october, AND also working start a new law journal at my school. Would that be good?
My guess (emphasis on guess) is that they're not looking for stuff that could/should be on your résumé. Tell them a story of how despite being short you made the high school basketball team through hard work and perseverance (a la Rudy), or about that summer you were camping in the forest and you ended up face to face with a bear. Something beyond "look at what a great student I am" - they've got your résumé and grades, one more extracurricular activity won't make a difference

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I get this question all the time. I have an interest section. My resume basically encapsulates my life. Anything else is just an extrapolation on something already on the resume. What are people looking for?

Just tell them what you wanna do in 10 years or 20 years; how many kids you want; where you wanna grow your kids; or you don't want kids; your childhood dream - kinda stuff that shows you are a normal person, rather than a law school d-bag.

Edit: did not mean to use the Anon function. Sorry for the abuse. Moderator, you can out me, if you want to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Would being adopted be an appropriate response to this question?

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would being adopted be an appropriate response to this question?
I think this might be a bit overpersonal and uncomfortable, but that's just me - I'm not an interviewer, I'm an interviewee. I have some interesting things about me that I'd never bring up in an interview - wilderness bootcamp, which taught me a lot, for instance, but is definitely one of those overpersonal things. I think adoption is probably also one of those - really the only followups to that that are interesting that I can think of are about how that affected you/made you feel (could be positive or negative, not stereotyping), and I just think that's not interview territory. I don't see this as the employer version of a diversity/hardship essay, and that's what I use my interesting-but-personal things for.

Everyone has a story that's hilarious that they'd tell their S.O.'s parents the first time they meet. I'm just planning to use my version of that story with interviewers. S.O. parents always like me, so I figure I've got a good one :D

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get this question all the time. I have an interest section. My resume basically encapsulates my life. Anything else is just an extrapolation on something already on the resume. What are people looking for?

Just tell them what you wanna do in 10 years or 20 years; how many kids you want; where you wanna grow your kids; or you don't want kids; your childhood dream - kinda stuff that shows you are a normal person, rather than a law school d-bag.

Edit: did not mean to use the Anon function. Sorry for the abuse. Moderator, you can out me, if you want to.
I would avoid mentioning that you want kids, family, etc. Esp if you are a women

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Just got this question twice actually. First, time I talked about being a movie buff. Went over well. Second time talked about being a really friendly team oriented person. Basically just someone who is a good friend because my resume screamed type A. this probably went over better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:10 am

I got this during a callback two weeks ago. I said I had been shot before, and it went over well... The partner asked to see the scar.

But, I agree that the question is aimed at getting something experiential from you. I think they want something that can be a point of interest for them to remember you by. I'd probably shy away from generic and cliche things that could easily end up in your interests section or that don't really make someone want to know more, but that is just me.

Anon because I can't imagine there are too many 2Ls that have been shot.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:17 am

I enjoy reading self improvement literature, including my favorite "the art of efficient billing" and also "on-call: optimizing your blackberry alerts"

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:25 am

I don't eat fried foods.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:41 am

This question is asking for some insight into you, some fun fact or accomplishment, that makes you memorable. Also gives an insight into you because of what you choose to share.
Being adopted- I wouldn't say. Being shot either , but maybe that worked.

Me-I might say that I was a docent at the Central Park zoo, or that I haven't missed a New Year's Eve fireworks/roadrunner event in 15 years, or depending on the circumstance, something more serious like I was accepted to other graduate school programs but choose law instead.
If I knew the partner was a sport fan I might mention something about going to old timers day at Yankee stadium or being a ball boy at the US open one year.

If they were younger, I might talk about helping my friends who are game designers setup come out and play as a festival in New York.

None of that stuff is on my resume. Most of it is too old to include. Note too: none of it took a lot of time to accomplish.

I would go with something you can present with enthusiasm and charm that also shows you are a real person. You have to read the person doing the asking and decide what aspect of yourself you want to show them.

Edit to add: this is like that question " tell me your biggest accomplishment" ( which is one I like to ask people). When I was asked that question in an interview, the first answer that popped into my head was that I managed to come to terms with my father's death and my Mom being basically nonfunctional for a few years. But, no one wants to hear that kind of an answer. They are looking for the superficial that shows what you value, not your emotional backstory. So I said something like the tennis thing or learning to play the piano in college when everyone ese starts younger.
They don't care about how substantive it is, they just care what is important to you and what aspects of your character that shows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:37 am

I once climbed Mt. Whitney in a day, the tallest mountain in the continuous US.

Jimbo_Jones

Bronze

Post by Jimbo_Jones » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 am

I like turtles

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 am

"My penis is 7.5" long."

(But seriously though NYState's answer is a good one.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:32 am

Im wondering how I would answer the "greatest accomplishment" question, since my real answer would probably be doing well on the LSAT or getting into my school (yes I lack real world experience).

How about this:

We adopted a dog a few years ago who Im pretty sure was abused previously. She was extremely skittish and avoided people. But over the course of several years (mostly in high school/college) I taught her to become trusting and not afraid of people, which really took a lot of work and patience.

Is something like that ok? Or too odd of an answer because its not really an "accomplishment" like an employer would like to see? I cant think of any "taught myself to play the piano" type stuff that wouldnt already be on the resume.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Im wondering how I would answer the "greatest accomplishment" question, since my real answer would probably be doing well on the LSAT or getting into my school (yes I lack real world experience).

How about this:

We adopted a dog a few years ago who Im pretty sure was abused previously. She was extremely skittish and avoided people. But over the course of several years (mostly in high school/college) I taught her to become trusting and not afraid of people, which really took a lot of work and patience.

Is something like that ok? Or too odd of an answer because its not really an "accomplishment" like an employer would like to see? I cant think of any "taught myself to play the piano" type stuff that wouldnt already be on the resume.
Great answer to "tell me something not on your résumé"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:41 pm

OP here: thanks guys, especially NYstate. This helped get me thinking back a bit and I think I've put together something that is pretty interesting/funny/memorable.

I guess I just was framing it differently in my head before

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:50 pm

I always go with "I've never been to Wal-Mart"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wbrother

Bronze

Post by wbrother » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:29 am

LeDique wrote:I always go with "I've never been to Wal-Mart"
What? Where you do you get your 36 racks of Natty?

jump_man

Bronze

Post by jump_man » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I once climbed Mt. Whitney in a day, the tallest mountain in the continuous contiguous US.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”