Stories of TTT people who made it

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
paglababa

Stories of TTT people who made it

Postby paglababa » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Man the GC at my small agency, and I've seen two so far, both went to TTT school. One graduated in 2002 from said law school. Making $225-$250k 9-6 and fairly young. Womp. I'm jealous.

MischiefMayhemSoap

Re: Stories of TTT people who made it

Postby MischiefMayhemSoap » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Graduate near top of your class and you have very good post-graduation job prospects even from TTT. The problem with this is that you can never tell whether you're going to do well in law school. So people go to T14 w/o $$$ for a chance at a job, hoping they'd at least be around median.

Or maybe you graduate from TTT and start your own practice and do an excellent job. Again a gamble, esp. since one would often rather go to a private practitioner from a brand name school than a TTT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Young-ish partner at my V10 who has enough charm that he could tell you to go to hell and you would look forward to the trip. Graduated from a TTT with (I'm assuming) shitty grades and started working for an ambulance chasing shitlaw firm for a few years. He was dating an HR girl at a different V10 that had was looking to fill a few associate spots in a newish office. She got his resume in front of someone, he charmed them, and started at the firm as a 1st year associate. Fast forward a couple of decades and now he is running shit at my firm.

Tl;dr: Being extremely charming goes a long way.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Graduate near top of your class and you have very good post-graduation job prospects even from TTT. The problem with this is that you can never tell whether you're going to do well in law school. So people go to T14 w/o $$$ for a chance at a job, hoping they'd at least be around median.

Or maybe you graduate from TTT and start your own practice and do an excellent job. Again a gamble, esp. since one would often rather go to a private practitioner from a brand name school than a TTT.

This is very much on point. It is why the lower tiers prospered for so long with the lack of full transparent post graduation employment data. If you examined a small enough sample size, say only the top 10%, the outcome could look pretty rosy because a number of these people were getting market paying jobs - particularly prior to the recession. Even now, you will find people that went to lower tiered schools and prospered - either transferred to a better school or did manage to snag a great job. Further, these are exactly the type of people who want to tell their story, because they beat the odds. Those who did not beat the odds are far less likely to want to share their stories. So even if you see a hundred posts on here about TTT grads doing well, keep in mind that there are thousands that did not.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 am

Bottom of my tier 3 class and I made it. Connections. Networking.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 am

Know (met once) a lawyer that graduated from a mega TTT. I see his Bentley and/or his Maserati parked outside of his shit law firm everyday. He does personal injury.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:18 am

90convoy wrote:Know (met once) a lawyer that graduated from a mega TTT. I see his Bentley and/or his Maserati parked outside of his shit law firm everyday. He does personal injury.

Eh. It's not all about money. Some ppl want to practice in a sophisticated and rewarding area of law.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Young-ish partner at my V10 who has enough charm that he could tell you to go to hell and you would look forward to the trip. Graduated from a TTT with (I'm assuming) shitty grades and started working for an ambulance chasing shitlaw firm for a few years. He was dating an HR girl at a different V10 that had was looking to fill a few associate spots in a newish office. She got his resume in front of someone, he charmed them, and started at the firm as a 1st year associate. Fast forward a couple of decades and now he is running shit at my firm.

Tl;dr: Being extremely charming goes a long way.

Wow, this is pretty awesome. Wish I could study charm like the LSAT.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:07 am

helfer snooterbagon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Graduate near top of your class and you have very good post-graduation job prospects even from TTT. The problem with this is that you can never tell whether you're going to do well in law school. So people go to T14 w/o $$$ for a chance at a job, hoping they'd at least be around median.

This is very much on point. It is why the lower tiers prospered for so long with the lack of full transparent post graduation employment data. If you examined a small enough sample size, say only the top 10%, the outcome could look pretty rosy because a number of these people were getting market paying jobs - particularly prior to the recession. Even now, you will find people that went to lower tiered schools and prospered - either transferred to a better school or did manage to snag a great job. Further, these are exactly the type of people who want to tell their story, because they beat the odds. Those who did not beat the odds are far less likely to want to share their stories. So even if you see a hundred posts on here about TTT grads doing well, keep in mind that there are thousands that did not.

Fiction.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:16 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
90convoy wrote:Know (met once) a lawyer that graduated from a mega TTT. I see his Bentley and/or his Maserati parked outside of his shit law firm everyday. He does personal injury.

Eh. It's not all about money. Some ppl want to practice in a sophisticated and rewarding area of law.

Well one of the best rewards in this (capitalist) country is money. Our society sees an accumulation of wealth as "making it". With that being said, I agree with you.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:17 am

I know someone who graduated from Cooley two years ago and is an associate at their parents shit law firm.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:21 am

know a kid whos at a TTTT in the area who landed a SA with a NLJ 250 firm in the area.... his mom is also a federal judge so yeah

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:22 am

dstars823 wrote:know a kid whos at a TTTT in the area who landed a SA with a NLJ 250 firm in the area.... his mom is also a federal judge so yeah

Lol

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:30 am

TTTT grad here. I've got no complaints. Its possible to have a good career from a TTTT. Just unbelievably unlikely. Most of the kids I graduated with have done awful. Its a shame. Odds are slightly better with the lottery (smaller state lottery - not a mega millions type deal).

So if you're at a TTT/TTTT... um swing for the fences I guess?

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:02 am

reasonable_man wrote:TTTT grad here. I've got no complaints. Its possible to have a good career from a TTTT. Just unbelievably unlikely. Most of the kids I graduated with have done awful. Its a shame. Odds are slightly better with the lottery (smaller state lottery - not a mega millions type deal).

So if you're at a TTT/TTTT... um swing for the fences I guess?

Sage advice right here for those looking at TTT/TTTT.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:24 am

Pre-ITE graduates may not be the best predictor of future results.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:40 am

Danger Zone wrote:Pre-ITE graduates may not be the best predictor of future results.

This x1000.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
helfer snooterbagon wrote:This is very much on point. It is why the lower tiers prospered for so long with the lack of full transparent post graduation employment data. If you examined a small enough sample size, say only the top 10%, the outcome could look pretty rosy because a number of these people were getting market paying jobs - particularly prior to the recession. Even now, you will find people that went to lower tiered schools and prospered - either transferred to a better school or did manage to snag a great job. Further, these are exactly the type of people who want to tell their story, because they beat the odds. Those who did not beat the odds are far less likely to want to share their stories. So even if you see a hundred posts on here about TTT grads doing well, keep in mind that there are thousands that did not.

Fiction.

Except, you know, stats.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 am

romothesavior wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
helfer snooterbagon wrote:This is very much on point. It is why the lower tiers prospered for so long with the lack of full transparent post graduation employment data. If you examined a small enough sample size, say only the top 10%, the outcome could look pretty rosy because a number of these people were getting market paying jobs - particularly prior to the recession. Even now, you will find people that went to lower tiered schools and prospered - either transferred to a better school or did manage to snag a great job. Further, these are exactly the type of people who want to tell their story, because they beat the odds. Those who did not beat the odds are far less likely to want to share their stories. So even if you see a hundred posts on here about TTT grads doing well, keep in mind that there are thousands that did not.

Fiction.

Except, you know, stats.

Yeah, I must be wrong. There must be only ~56% of grads who want law jobs that require bar passage. Moonbeam is an interesting fellow - in some threads he is complaining about getting his ass handed to him in a deposition in others he is giving advice to students and graduates alike. He told me I would make an excellent plaintiff's lawyer. Not sure how to take that as I am working for the Feds - I guess I am a plaintiff's lawyer.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:27 am

romothesavior wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:

Fiction.

Except, you know, stats.

I think what he meant to say was
MoonDreamer wrote:Fuck 'em, I got mine.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:34 am

Friend of mine was top 10% at a TTT. 10 years later, he's department head at one of the biggest firms in his market (think Chi/Houston/LA/SF)

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Pre-ITE graduates mayare not be the best predictor of future results.

guano wrote:Friend of mine was top 10% at a TTT. 10 years later, he's department head at one of the biggest firms in his market (think Chi/Houston/LA/SF)

derp derp potato derp

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Read the rules before posting. I'll let this thread live because it's interesting no matter how stupid the idea behind it is.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Jerry R. Marlatt graduated from Southwestern. He works for MoFo and was named "Dealmaker of the Year" by The American Lawyer. In fact, I've heard of about a half dozen Southwestern grads that are doing very well, but they all graduated ~30 years ago.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:50 pm

bk1 wrote:Read the rules before posting. I'll let this thread live because it's interesting no matter how stupid the idea behind it is.

The idea behind it is not stupid, because the idea was never stated. I'm not sure you can gauge what the idea behind it is without making assumptions. I'll dispel these assumptions below:

This thread is for interesting responses, as youv'e agreed. 1. It is not to encourage anyone to go to TTT. 2. Neither is it to make people who are in TTT feel hopeful or delsuionial about any anecdotal evidence provided herein.

Just wanted to hear amusing stories of what (successfull) TTT grads are upto. We already know about the others.

That said, it would be more interesting to hear about TTT grads who graduated within the last 10 years, as opposed to 20-30 years ago.

Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”