I Want to QUIT Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I Want to QUIT

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 am

I wrote a while back about hating my current job, having an abusive and professionally unethical boss, and feeling hopeless. I decided to do something for myself and launch a job search. It has been an uphill battle, but I obtained one interview. It went relatively well, and now I am waiting to hear back. I am also continuing my hunt.

I am overwhelmed with anxiety and disgust as I sit here at my desk in the office of my current firm. I can't stand it anymore. I continually daydream about standing up and walking out. I want to talk to someone about it, but certainly not my coworkers - not before I get another job, at least. So I am going to vent here on this forum.

"This economy." That phrase has me so filled with fear of never moving on to another firm. So afraid that I stand cursing and other verbal abuse. That I watch my boss engage in unethical behavior, lying, and work he has no clue how to do, and also rip clients off by convincing them to take unnecessary legal paths that would cause them to incur the highest bills. When things go wrong, everyone needs to duck, because it is never his fault, but someone deserves a public verbal lashing and maybe tossing something at someone's head. Things go wrong a lot because he is disorganized and misses deadlines frequently. He severely underpays the attorneys, but we are expected to stay until any hour of the night so he can collect billables and pay his mortgage and keeping-up-with-the-Joneses cars.

I still feel lucky to have a job at all. Which makes me feel guilty when I complain about what I've got. So many would just take the yelling and the item-throwing to make ends meet. I can make ends meet.

But at what price? I can't sleep anymore. I want to cry. All the time. I pray with everything I've got that some other firm will take me. I'm barely holding up.

Just counting the days until I can get out of here.

Anonymous User

Re: I Want to QUIT

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:29 am

Flip a coin.
Tails: Quit/Stay
Heads: Stay/Quit.

Source: Freakonomics.

JJ123

Bronze

Post by JJ123 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:38 am

Get out. Life is too short to ever deal with a boss like that. Start sending resumes, call people, find something else and GTFO.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:45 am

Sending prayers your way. Keep hustling and you'll make it through to a new and better job. If you can, try not to think about how much you hate it--you're in a transitional period and right now it's just a means to an end. Use it as a stepping stone, but don't let it define you.

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Assuming this a post-bar job, reach out to an older colleague in another firm or judge with whom you have a relationship, or feel comfortable, and discuss your issues. If your boss is an ass, I am sure they will confirm this and perhaps be able to counsel you or even help network on your behalf. My state bar assocation has a person on staff with whom you can talk about these kinds of issues, perhaps your state does too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:33 pm

if he's really cheating clients, I think (not sure) you might have an obligation to report him to bar counsel. anyone know about that?

prayers w you my friend

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:41 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:Sending prayers your way. Keep hustling and you'll make it through to a new and better job. If you can, try not to think about how much you hate it--you're in a transitional period and right now it's just a means to an end. Use it as a stepping stone, but don't let it define you.
+1, this says it better than I could have. Best of luck OP. I think most people here recognize that we could easily be in your shoes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:43 pm

If he's cheating clients, you're crossing into ethical problems territory. I would suggest looking into professional advice that goes beyond job preferences.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

OP. Thank you for the kind responses all.

I have considered the ethics issue. It's nothing that is factually provable that directly breaks a state ethics rule; it's more his general way of running the business. He has been sued for malpractice in the past, though, and he probably will again at some point in the future...

I really do appreciate the thoughts, especially RodneyRuxin - I know I need to just keep up and keep my head above it. It is so much harder to do than say I will do, but it is the best way to address it, and it's nice to get a reminder of the right path to take here because that can get lost in all the upset.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm glad you're using TLS to vent btw... it's much better than losing your sanity completely or making a bad choice at work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if he's really cheating clients, I think (not sure) you might have an obligation to report him to bar counsel. anyone know about that?

prayers w you my friend

+1. States are different re: if you can get fired for reporting professional misconduct, so if you did want to report before quitting/leaving/whatever you'd want to look into that.

But generally, yes you almost certainly do have a duty to report unethical behavior by another attorney.

Your post sounds like a hypo from a professional responsibility exam.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Did you try getting counseling from the bar? There should be some way to get assistance.
You need to find another job - even if not in law.

Themanp

New

Post by Themanp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:29 pm

So your boss has not violated any state ethics rules, yet you claim he is unethical? It seems to me like you just have a bone to pick. Not to mention, you are trolling around TLS and doing job search related activities during your work hours. Maybe your boss isn't the one with the ethics problem....

User has been outed. You edited this post out and admitted it was you in this thread, but I'm still leaving this as a warning. Knock it off.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So your boss has not violated any state ethics rules, yet you claim he is unethical? It seems to me like you just have a bone to pick. Not to mention, you are trolling around TLS and doing job search related activities during your work hours. Maybe your boss isn't the one with the ethics problem....
I was really worried that a poster would go out on a limb and attack another poster's moral turpitude without any regard for their own reputation, but then I realized this was posted anon and felt much better.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Danger Zone wrote: I was really worried that a poster would go out on a limb and attack another poster's moral turpitude without any regard for their own reputation, but then I realized this was posted anon and felt much better.
Can't wait for him to be outed :lol:

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:42 pm

'
Last edited by unlicensedpotato on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:49 pm

You can also call the bar and get advanced ethic opinions, at least in New York. Maybe there is an ethics hotline you can reach out to for advice if you are worried.
I know this is a bad situation. I don't know how best to advise you. Just try to let the abuse roll off your back and keep posting here to vent.
RodneyRuxin wrote:
Danger Zone wrote: I was really worried that a poster would go out on a limb and attack another poster's moral turpitude without any regard for their own reputation, but then I realized this was posted anon and felt much better.
Can't wait for him to be outed :lol:
And possibly banned. I'm seeing TLS work as a support system for people, not just school advice. I would hate to see people afraid to post here because they will be attacked. This life is hard to deal with- not having a job or having to stay in a terrible job because you can't find anything. It eats people up and destroys their self- worth and self- confidence. I feel that people need an outlet that can maybe help them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:50 pm

OP. I may just need to turn to an ethics hotline to really figure out the ethics issue... I never thought about doing deeper research or legwork to figure out whether his client actions are unethical, or demonstrably so, to the point of needing to be reported, just tried to remember what I learned in PR in law school and couldn't think of exactly how something may reach the level of reportable. It is also true that I find his actions morally wrong, and he really does advise not necessarily as to what is really best for a client vs. what makes him the most money, and he does engage in work that he/we have no expertise on without an appropriate amount of research. I don't know how I could demonstrate this to a panel, though, which is why I am reluctant to say it is reportable or that I would try to report it.

It isn't that I have a bone to pick, but I am very stressed out in my situation and need to vent to someone, somewhere... Of course I also do not like my boss on a personal level, but because of his temper and the way he yells and throws things, I don't think that is unfair of me?

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP. I may just need to turn to an ethics hotline to really figure out the ethics issue... I never thought about doing deeper research or legwork to figure out whether his client actions are unethical, or demonstrably so, to the point of needing to be reported, just tried to remember what I learned in PR in law school and couldn't think of exactly how something may reach the level of reportable. It is also true that I find his actions morally wrong, and he really does advise not necessarily as to what is really best for a client vs. what makes him the most money, and he does engage in work that he/we have no expertise on without an appropriate amount of research. I don't know how I could demonstrate this to a panel, though, which is why I am reluctant to say it is reportable or that I would try to report it.

It isn't that I have a bone to pick, but I am very stressed out in my situation and need to vent to someone, somewhere... Of course I also do not like my boss on a personal level, but because of his temper and the way he yells and throws things, I don't think that is unfair of me?
Don't feel like you have to justify yourself to some random prick on the internet that's too afraid to even make his opinion known under his internet handle. You sound like you're in a legitimately shitty situation and I hope things work out for you. Can't add much and don't wanna murk up your thread with unhelpful advice, but don't want you feeling like you're not welcome to vent about something legitimate in the employment forum because of random douchery. Good luck, stay strong.

And if your boss is throwing thongs, hook a brother up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:57 pm

LOL I edited... "Things." Thongs would be a whole different story...

Also, I really do appreciate the support, everyone. It's really, really helpful to get that support and feel like I'm not crazy for wanting to leave and knowing others would also be equally stressed in my shoes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Themanp

New

Post by Themanp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:31 pm

In all seriousness, it appears that instead of this being an ethics issue, it's really an issue of you really really not liking your job; and there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like working there you should definitely seek other options. Find a workplace/job specialty that you will be happy doing. An ethics violation is a very serious charge. To be fair to the boss, I don't think rehashing his one malpractice is grounds that he's lousy or unethical; that just sounds like mudslinging to me. And lets be honest, you don't like the guy, so it probably feels good to do so (even if you know it's probably not true). Nothin wrong with that.

You've made it through law school so you are probably someone that does not like to quit or be a "quitter." Maybe these charges of an ethics violation are your way of justifying quitting to yourself? To find a reason to have to leave, i.e., he is unethical so I must quit- passes the blame. If that's the case (very well may not be), I would say there is nothing wrong with disliking your job/boss, and looking for a new workplace is not being a quitter; it's being smart. YOLO so work somewhere that you will have your maximum satisfaction and happiness. You spend a lot of your time at your place of work; no wonder you're feeling helpless. You hate being there, and yet you are there almost EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I really hope you find somewhere that fits you better. It's not your fault that your boss sucks..he does suck. So my advice is to look for a job where you believe you will be happy. Why punish yourself? The fact is that you really don't like your boss..if you don't think that will change any time soon, you should get out ASAP.

P.S. If your new potential employer asks why you left/want to leave do not say "you believe your boss to be unethical"- that could send serious red flags to your hopeful landing spot.
Last edited by Themanp on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Themanp wrote: Sincerely,
Mr. Anonymous.
I hope this was as painful for you to write as it was for me to read.

Themanp

New

Post by Themanp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Happy? Painful? If you are taking anything on TLS to the point of pain, you should really get outside more and get a life. 4real #URpasty

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Themanp wrote:In all seriousness, it appears that instead of this being an ethics issue, it's really an issue of you really really not liking your job; and there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like working there you should definitely seek other options. Find a workplace/job specialty that you will be happy doing. An ethics violation is a very serious charge. To be fair to the boss, I don't think rehashing his one malpractice is grounds that he's lousy or unethical; that just sounds like mudslinging to me. And lets be honest, you don't like the guy, so it probably feels good to do so (even if you know it's probably not true). Nothin wrong with that.

You've made it through law school so you are probably someone that does not like to quit or be a "quitter." Maybe these charges of an ethics violation are your way of justifying quitting to yourself? To find a reason to have to leave, i.e., he is unethical so I must quit- passes the blame. If that's the case (very well may not be), I would say there is nothing wrong with disliking your job/boss, and looking for a new workplace is not being a quitter; it's being smart. YOLO so work somewhere that you will have your maximum satisfaction and happiness. You spend a lot of your time at your place of work; no wonder you're feeling helpless. You hate being there, and yet you are there almost EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I really hope you find somewhere that fits you better. It's not your fault that your boss sucks..he does suck. So my advice is to look for a job where you believe you will be happy. Why punish yourself? The fact is that you really don't like your boss..if you don't think that will change any time soon, you should get out ASAP.

P.S. If your new potential employer asks why you left/want to leave do not say "you believe your boss to be unethical"- that could send serious red flags to your hopeful landing spot.
QFP because YOLOLOLOL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”