leave of absence...how does it affect employment? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

leave of absence...how does it affect employment?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:36 am

I'm considering taking a leave of absence for personal reasons (family illness), and I am wondering if anyone has any experience or examples of how this type of leave would affect employment opportunities?

for reference, I just finished 1L and my grades are relatively good (top 10%, mvpb), but my fear is that any unusual things like leaves of absence would become a red flag for top firms

if anyone has any personal experience or knows of others who have done this, I would greatly appreciate any help I can get

mmbt123

New

Re: leave of absence...how does it affect employment?

Post by mmbt123 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:56 am

Hey, I'm an 0L who met someone who took a leave after 1L at a mid-T14 during a ASW bc of a major health crisis in the family.

They had no problem getting a job...got a prestigious clerkship and firm offer lined up.

I'm sure they'll ask for an explanation but it seems like it's not a flag.

Best of luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”