What do you do when law students email you at work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Nightrunner
Posts: 5345
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:14 am

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby Nightrunner » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:08 pm

NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:Obviously the default answer is "do nothing," but I think it kinda depends. If work's slow and I get an email from a chill-and-sociable-sounding 3L, I'll probably respond. If I get an email from a 1L trying to feather the networking nest before OCI, that shit's getting deleted in a heartbeat.


How are 1L's supposed to learn about firms and practice areas before OCI if not by asking currently practicing attorneys?

By mindlessly repeating whatever they read on the internet, of course. Like a normal person.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:16 pm

NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:Obviously the default answer is "do nothing," but I think it kinda depends. If work's slow and I get an email from a chill-and-sociable-sounding 3L, I'll probably respond. If I get an email from a 1L trying to feather the networking nest before OCI, that shit's getting deleted in a heartbeat.


How are 1L's supposed to learn about firms and practice areas before OCI if not by asking currently practicing attorneys?

Just know it comes off poorly. Almost every attorney I know lols at and/or ignores emails from gunner 1Ls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:23 pm

SBL wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:Obviously the default answer is "do nothing," but I think it kinda depends. If work's slow and I get an email from a chill-and-sociable-sounding 3L, I'll probably respond. If I get an email from a 1L trying to feather the networking nest before OCI, that shit's getting deleted in a heartbeat.


How are 1L's supposed to learn about firms and practice areas before OCI if not by asking currently practicing attorneys?

Just know it comes off poorly. Almost every attorney I know lols at and/or ignores emails from gunner 1Ls.


I've met with over 25 attorneys (pre-OCI) and every one of them has said they were impressed and when I asked for advice they said "keep doing what you're doing--showing interest early will put you ahead of most at OCI." A few (from v10 firms, mind you) have asked for my resume after the meeting.

I'd say around 5-10 attorneys have ignored my emails. Caveat: Most people I've emailed were alumni or I was referred to them by someone at a networking event.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:Obviously the default answer is "do nothing," but I think it kinda depends. If work's slow and I get an email from a chill-and-sociable-sounding 3L, I'll probably respond. If I get an email from a 1L trying to feather the networking nest before OCI, that shit's getting deleted in a heartbeat.


How are 1L's supposed to learn about firms and practice areas before OCI if not by asking currently practicing attorneys?

Just know it comes off poorly. Almost every attorney I know lols at and/or ignores emails from gunner 1Ls.


I've met with over 25 attorneys (pre-OCI) and every one of them has said they were impressed and when I asked for advice they said "keep doing what you're doing--showing interest early will put you ahead of most at OCI." A few (from v10 firms, mind you) have asked for my resume after the meeting.

I'd say around 5-10 attorneys have ignored my emails. Caveat: Most people I've emailed were alumni or I was referred to them by someone at a networking event.
I mean, YMMV, YOLO, pick your acronym. If you're having fun and getting results, then let your gunner freak flag fly by all means. I just don't respond well to that kind of attitude. An email from a 1L "just looking for information" feels disingenuous, whereas an email from a jobless 3L, if desperate, is at least honest and to the point.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:40 pm

IAFG wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
No just needs to convey some sort of non-desperation. I used to write those same formal and deferential emails. Now that I'm reading them, this is how I see it.

Through cunt-colored glasses?

This did not get even close to the appreciation it deserved

Anonymous Associate
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:54 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby Anonymous Associate » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:41 pm

SBL wrote:I mean, YMMV, YOLO, pick your acronym. If you're having fun and getting results, then let your gunner freak flag fly by all means. I just don't respond well to that kind of attitude. An email from a 1L "just looking for information" feels disingenuous, whereas an email from a jobless 3L, if desperate, is at least honest and to the point.


Awesome phrase.

And I agree with everything else too.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 pm

SBL wrote:I mean, YMMV, YOLO, pick your acronym. If you're having fun and getting results, then let your gunner freak flag fly by all means. I just don't respond well to that kind of attitude. An email from a 1L "just looking for information" feels disingenuous, whereas an email from a jobless 3L, if desperate, is at least honest and to the point.

I get what you're saying, but I think the point is to be proactive and try to not end up fucked (i.e. prepare for OCI by reaching out to alums) rather than end up fucked and reach out due to desperation (i.e. email as a jobless 3L). It rubs you the wrong way but I think in general many attorneys respond fairly well to emails from rising 2Ls saying "I am interested in your firm and was wondering if you had time to tell me a bit about it."

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby Samara » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
SBL wrote:I mean, YMMV, YOLO, pick your acronym. If you're having fun and getting results, then let your gunner freak flag fly by all means. I just don't respond well to that kind of attitude. An email from a 1L "just looking for information" feels disingenuous, whereas an email from a jobless 3L, if desperate, is at least honest and to the point.

I get what you're saying, but I think the point is to be proactive and try to not end up fucked (i.e. prepare for OCI by reaching out to alums) rather than end up fucked and reach out due to desperation (i.e. email as a jobless 3L). It rubs you the wrong way but I think in general many attorneys respond fairly well to emails from rising 2Ls saying "I am interested in your firm and was wondering if you had time to tell me a bit about it."

I think if you emailed a bunch of random alums as a 1L, you would get SBL's reaction. But if you target your email to the practice group that you are truly interested in and demonstrate that the interest isn't forced, I think you'll get much better results. It also helps a ton if you can get an introduction somehow. My cold emailing didn't always go so well. The wider net feels more appropriate in SBL's 3L situation.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Samara wrote:
bk1 wrote:
SBL wrote:I mean, YMMV, YOLO, pick your acronym. If you're having fun and getting results, then let your gunner freak flag fly by all means. I just don't respond well to that kind of attitude. An email from a 1L "just looking for information" feels disingenuous, whereas an email from a jobless 3L, if desperate, is at least honest and to the point.

I get what you're saying, but I think the point is to be proactive and try to not end up fucked (i.e. prepare for OCI by reaching out to alums) rather than end up fucked and reach out due to desperation (i.e. email as a jobless 3L). It rubs you the wrong way but I think in general many attorneys respond fairly well to emails from rising 2Ls saying "I am interested in your firm and was wondering if you had time to tell me a bit about it."

I think if you emailed a bunch of random alums as a 1L, you would get SBL's reaction. But if you target your email to the practice group that you are truly interested in and demonstrate that the interest isn't forced, I think you'll get much better results. It also helps a ton if you can get an introduction somehow. My cold emailing didn't always go so well. The wider net feels more appropriate in SBL's 3L situation.

I agree with this actually. I practice in a specialized field, and if a 1L who kinda knew what he was talking about reached out to me with what seemed like a sincere desire to get into that field and wanted pointers, I'd be happy to help. But if I was just in litigation or something I would find it probably phony.

Another
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 pm

.

Postby Another » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 pm

.
Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:25 pm

hopkins23 wrote:To OP: If you ever get laid off and need to reach out to fellow attorneys, I hope you get the same warm and fuzzy reception that you've given law students.

Dood ease up. When you are a really busy person getting 100+ sua sponte emails from random law students, you're gonna ignore most of them.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Samara wrote:The wider net feels more appropriate in SBL's 3L situation.

I think the dichotomy fails because rising 2Ls are potentially just as fucked as graduating 3Ls, they just don't know it yet. Whether people acknowledge it or not, rising 2Ls often are in a desperate situation.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22842
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:52 pm

I will just be amazed if a random law student ever e-mails me for advice.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby guano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I will just be amazed if a random law student ever e-mails me for advice.

What's your email?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22842
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:55 pm

guano wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I will just be amazed if a random law student ever e-mails me for advice.

What's your email?

You're not a law student.

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby lolwat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Dood ease up. When you are a really busy person getting 100+ sua sponte emails from random law students, you're gonna ignore most of them.


Yeah but he's not just ignoring them, he's ignoring them, coming to TLS and posting "what do I do about all these weird ass desperate law students e-mailing me lol?"

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby guano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
guano wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I will just be amazed if a random law student ever e-mails me for advice.

What's your email?

You're not a law student.

No. I wouldn't be random either
I was gonna give it to a random law student

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:38 pm

lolwat wrote:
Dood ease up. When you are a really busy person getting 100+ sua sponte emails from random law students, you're gonna ignore most of them.


Yeah but he's not just ignoring them, he's ignoring them, coming to TLS and posting "what do I do about all these weird ass desperate law students e-mailing me lol?"

Yeah fair point.

I definitely think people should pay it forward and try to help out a few law students who email you, but you can't save everyone and if I feel like I'm dealing with some gunner 1L who is blindly fishing for networking connections, I'm gonna ignore.

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby NinerFan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:43 pm

SBL wrote:
hopkins23 wrote:To OP: If you ever get laid off and need to reach out to fellow attorneys, I hope you get the same warm and fuzzy reception that you've given law students.

Dood ease up. When you are a really busy person getting 100+ sua sponte emails from random law students, you're gonna ignore most of them.


The ignoring thing is fine. People are busy. You don't expect everyone or even most people to respond. I'm just surprised you and others feel like this is some sort of weird or negative thing to be doing. Your typical law student has no idea how to differentiate between firms or what it's really like to practice one field versus another.

I guess if interviews are just about are hearing the same cookie-cutter BS on websites, okay, but I'd think interest in a firm or practice area would seem more genuine if a student actually made the effort to reach out and learn what the hell it's actually about or like at a firm.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:51 pm

NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:
hopkins23 wrote:To OP: If you ever get laid off and need to reach out to fellow attorneys, I hope you get the same warm and fuzzy reception that you've given law students.

Dood ease up. When you are a really busy person getting 100+ sua sponte emails from random law students, you're gonna ignore most of them.


The ignoring thing is fine. People are busy. You don't expect everyone or even most people to respond. I'm just surprised you and others feel like this is some sort of weird or negative thing to be doing. Your typical law student has no idea how to differentiate between firms or what it's really like to practice one field versus another.

I guess if interviews are just about are hearing the same cookie-cutter BS on websites, okay, but I'd think interest in a firm or practice area would seem more genuine if a student actually made the effort to reach out and learn what the hell it's actually about or like at a firm.

It really depends on the email and the law student. 100% of the 1Ls I knew who sent general "HAY LETS NETWORK" emails were tools. Perhaps this is unfair, but if I got a similar email from a 1L, I'd just assume they were also a tool and blow them off. Now, if I got an email from a 1L saying "Hey, I noticed you practice in Field XYZ. I have this prior work experience that makes me interested in XYZ for Valid Reasons 1-3, and I was wondering about XYZ Practice in SBL's Market since I want to move there for Valid Reasons 1-3. Any advice you have would be totally appreciated," I would buy that kid lunch and give him a couple hours of my time.

MoonDreamer
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:32 pm

SBL wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:
hopkins23 wrote:To OP: If you ever get laid off and need to reach out to fellow attorneys, I hope you get the same warm and fuzzy reception that you've given law students.

Dood ease up. When you are a really busy person getting 100+ sua sponte emails from random law students, you're gonna ignore most of them.


The ignoring thing is fine. People are busy. You don't expect everyone or even most people to respond. I'm just surprised you and others feel like this is some sort of weird or negative thing to be doing. Your typical law student has no idea how to differentiate between firms or what it's really like to practice one field versus another.

I guess if interviews are just about are hearing the same cookie-cutter BS on websites, okay, but I'd think interest in a firm or practice area would seem more genuine if a student actually made the effort to reach out and learn what the hell it's actually about or like at a firm.

It really depends on the email and the law student. 100% of the 1Ls I knew who sent general "HAY LETS NETWORK" emails were tools. Perhaps this is unfair, but if I got a similar email from a 1L, I'd just assume they were also a tool and blow them off. Now, if I got an email from a 1L saying "Hey, I noticed you practice in Field XYZ. I have this prior work experience that makes me interested in XYZ for Valid Reasons 1-3, and I was wondering about XYZ Practice in SBL's Market since I want to move there for Valid Reasons 1-3. Any advice you have would be totally appreciated," I would buy that kid lunch and give him a couple hours of my time.


I got one email like that and I talked to the guy. Forwarded his resume to a partner at a different firm.

Another
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 pm

.

Postby Another » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:55 am

.
Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoonDreamer
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby MoonDreamer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:54 pm

hopkins23 wrote:Not saying you can't ignore 1L folks that email you, but there's no reason to knock the hustle.

We've all got our crosses to bear; and just because someone sends you a "desperate" email doesn't mean you need to judge them and post on TLS about "Woe unto me. My life is so hard dealing with these emails!"


I never said anything resembling "woe unto me. my life is so hard dealing with these emails!"

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby dr123 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:56 pm

I think this thread is actually a humblebrag

MoonDreamer
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Postby MoonDreamer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:59 pm

dr123 wrote:I think this thread is actually a humblebrag


Not on my part.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.