What do you do when law students email you at work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MoonDreamer

Bronze

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:54 am

IAFG wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
No just needs to convey some sort of non-desperation. I used to write those same formal and deferential emails. Now that I'm reading them, this is how I see it.
Through cunt-colored glasses?
All I'm saying is be tactful. Law school grads are struggling because they have limited social skills and no automatic job offer to rely on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:56 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did this kind of thing, and lots of people were happy to chat with me. Of course a few ignored, but most were happy to help. One chatted with me, and was all like "your email sounded insincere, and seemed like a copy and paste job", and I wanted to be like "you can only ask for a quick informational telephone call in so many ways"
Yeah tell him you think he's wrong. This is what I mean. That was a perfect opportunity to feed his ego.
I would have been a bit more nasty afterward, but it was in a bigger context, in which the person genuinely had given me some good advice. She just was giving me some FYI advice, said sending out information interview emails is a good idea, but that I should personalize it more to get more responses. Thats when she told me that it sounded copied and pasted. Had that been a comment in isolation, I would have gotten a bit more pissed.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I did this kind of thing, and lots of people were happy to chat with me. Of course a few ignored, but most were happy to help. One chatted with me, and was all like "your email sounded insincere, and seemed like a copy and paste job", and I wanted to be like "you can only ask for a quick informational telephone call in so many ways"
Yeah tell him you think he's wrong. This is what I mean. That was a perfect opportunity to feed his ego.
I would have been a bit more nasty afterward, but it was in a bigger context, in which the person genuinely had given me some good advice. She just was giving me some FYI advice, said sending out information interview emails is a good idea, but that I should personalize it more to get more responses. Thats when she told me that it sounded copied and pasted. Had that been a comment in isolation, I would have gotten a bit more pissed.
Another thing: in law practice, leave your emotions at home. Partners are going to call you dumb, stupid, yell at you, be unreasonable, etc. you have to take it without showing negative emotions or else ur gonna make things awkward.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:02 am

MoonDreamer wrote: You sounds like you're going to make a great plaintiffs atty. all I'm saying is it should be done with tact. Networking and connections are key.
So being eager equals being tactless? Got it.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:04 am

bk187 wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote: You sounds like you're going to make a great plaintiffs atty. all I'm saying is it should be done with tact. Networking and connections are key.
I can't explain every social nuance online.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
bk187 wrote:
They must be tough to explain when you seem to lack them yourself.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:10 am

bk187 wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
bk187 wrote:
They must be tough to explain when you seem to lack them yourself.
Ill admit, I'm not being very sensitive about issue. One thing I have learned is that being normal and having average social skills will get you very very far in law practice. I'd say a solid 90% of attys lack basic social skills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:13 am

MoonDreamer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
Another thing: in law practice, leave your emotions at home. Partners are going to call you dumb, stupid, yell at you, be unreasonable, etc. you have to take it without showing negative emotions or else ur gonna make things awkward.
Yeah I guess thats very true. Even as a summer associate, I was tempted to say "bro, chill out" a few times to people who took everything a bit too seriously, and who acted like a smile would kill them. I'm a lighthearted person, always joking, smiling, etc. because its my way of dealing with stress and making myself seem less high strung than I really am. I guess other people deal with it by just venting it outright onto others.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:28 am

Throttle wrote:
jml8756 wrote:
Tactless would be if they sent you a picture of their biceps.
Wow mind blown. Dude seriously needs psychiatric help.
Seriously! His response video is intense!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:39 am

MoonDreamer wrote:Ill admit, I'm not being very sensitive about issue. One thing I have learned is that being normal and having average social skills will get you very very far in law practice. I'd say a solid 90% of attys lack basic social skills.
We get it. You're awesome and everyone else is an aspie. Which is why you refuse to have any social interaction with law students who ask you for advice. Got it.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 am

The thing is, if you're writing to someone you don't know, it's safest to err on the side of formality/politeness, because there are certainly people out there who want law students to be formal and deferential. Just because you don't doesn't make the e-mail creepy. Also, you keep saying be tactful, but formality and deference aren't tactless.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The thing is, if you're writing to someone you don't know, it's safest to err on the side of formality/politeness, because there are certainly people out there who want law students to be formal and deferential. Just because you don't doesn't make the e-mail creepy. Also, you keep saying be tactful, but formality and deference aren't tactless.
This is not a situation where you err on the side of caution. I would even suggest one being unconventional and provoking (though not like muscle guy on above the law). Like they say "big risk, big reward"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:52 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The thing is, if you're writing to someone you don't know, it's safest to err on the side of formality/politeness, because there are certainly people out there who want law students to be formal and deferential. Just because you don't doesn't make the e-mail creepy. Also, you keep saying be tactful, but formality and deference aren't tactless.
This is not a situation where you err on the side of caution. I would even suggest one being unconventional and provoking (though not like muscle guy on above the law). Like they say "big risk, big reward"
It's like you're not even a lawyer...

Anonymous Associate

Bronze

Post by Anonymous Associate » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:51 pm

It is normal and advised for law students to contact alums at a firm, particularly when the firm/that specific office does not come to OCI at their school. Is this perhaps the situation these students are in?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Meh, someone pointed out earlier in this thread that MoonDreamer said somewhere else: "Bottom of my tier 3 class and I made it. Connections. Networking." Shit, if i was at the bottom of a TTT school, I might do something BIG RISK too, because I'd expect to be unemployed. Also, there was also at least one other thread where he appeared not to understand why things are the way they are... might've been in the clerkship forum.

. . . In other words, trying to debate/explain things here might be a lost cause.
The thing is, if you're writing to someone you don't know, it's safest to err on the side of formality/politeness, because there are certainly people out there who want law students to be formal and deferential. Just because you don't doesn't make the e-mail creepy. Also, you keep saying be tactful, but formality and deference aren't tactless.
I agree with this. I do think there is the possibility that if you were contacting a newer associate, that you might be quite a bit more casual. When you were a 1L, you probably didn't/wouldn't have e-mailed 3Ls at your school and acted formal and deferential, after all. But e-mailing more senior associates and partners? Definitely err on that side.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Obviously the default answer is "do nothing," but I think it kinda depends. If work's slow and I get an email from a chill-and-sociable-sounding 3L, I'll probably respond. If I get an email from a 1L trying to feather the networking nest before OCI, that shit's getting deleted in a heartbeat.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Scoot Scoot

New

Post by Scoot Scoot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:04 pm

This thread delivered the lulz.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:13 pm

lolwat wrote:
Meh, someone pointed out earlier in this thread that MoonDreamer said somewhere else: "Bottom of my tier 3 class and I made it. Connections. Networking." Shit, if i was at the bottom of a TTT school, I might do something BIG RISK too, because I'd expect to be unemployed. Also, there was also at least one other thread where he appeared not to understand why things are the way they are... might've been in the clerkship forum.

. . . In other words, trying to debate/explain things here might be a lost cause.
I agree with this. I do think there is the possibility that if you were contacting a newer associate, that you might be quite a bit more casual. When you were a 1L, you probably didn't/wouldn't have e-mailed 3Ls at your school and acted formal and deferential, after all. But e-mailing more senior associates and partners? Definitely err on that side.
Yeah, that all makes sense to me.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:18 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:A good email would say something like

"Bob,

I am a recent law graduate looking for a job in commercial litigation and noticed the firm has this practice area. I noticed you practice in this area as well. Do you have any advice for someone who is trying to break into this area?

Any advice would be appreciated. And of course if you are aware of any open positions, I would greatly appreciate the tip

Thanks

The casual tone puts me at ease. And this guy doesn't sound desperate, which also helps.
This sounds a lot closer to desperate than atcushman's.

Humpty Dumpty

New

Post by Humpty Dumpty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:23 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:Recently I've been getting a lot of emails from random law students and recent grads of my alma mater, requesting that i forward their resume or speak with them re my firm.

Does this happen to anyone else? If so, what do you do?
Why don't you just go ahead and agree to meet them for dinner. Text them that night and say "hey, running late, go ahead and order me the lobster" then stand them up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChardPennington

Silver

Post by ChardPennington » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Can you guys proofread this and offer suggestions before I send it out?
Hi,

My name is Carlos Danger. I'm a 3L at CUNY, currently interested in pursuing a position (or, if I have the stamina for it, multiple positions) in biglonghardthickveinylaw. Your firm makes me firm (see attached resume and X-rated selfies). Please advise. I'll buy you a sex condo in Chicago if this goes well.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 pm

SBL wrote:Obviously the default answer is "do nothing," but I think it kinda depends. If work's slow and I get an email from a chill-and-sociable-sounding 3L, I'll probably respond. If I get an email from a 1L trying to feather the networking nest before OCI, that shit's getting deleted in a heartbeat.
So you'd reward the lazy ass who waited to the last minute and is now trying desperately to not be relegated to the fuck-up bin, but you'll ignore the person doing their best to get ahead of the game so they won't have to?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Boomer mentality: assumes 3L is unemployed because they "didn't work hard enough"

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:56 pm

SBL wrote:Obviously the default answer is "do nothing," but I think it kinda depends. If work's slow and I get an email from a chill-and-sociable-sounding 3L, I'll probably respond. If I get an email from a 1L trying to feather the networking nest before OCI, that shit's getting deleted in a heartbeat.
How are 1L's supposed to learn about firms and practice areas before OCI if not by asking currently practicing attorneys?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”