Page 1 of 1

Choosing Between Offers

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:50 pm
by Anonymous User
I'm in the situation where I have split my 2L summer between two biglaw firms. One is a satellite of a V30 with around 70 attorneys in the office with the other being a strong regional firm (V75) with a much larger office in my city (200+ attorneys). I would end up doing transactional work at either but don't really have a specific focus.

I loved the people and environment at the smaller office of the V30. There are just not as many partners to sustain a workflow at the V30 so that worries me a bit. The office did seem incredibly busy while I was there though.

On the other hand, the people at the bigger regional office were not as great and I don't feel like I fit in as well. The work, however, was very sophisticated and flowing from all angles. I just am hestitant to jump in with a bunch of personalities that I don't exactly mesh with.


How would you make your decision if you had an offer from both? And what questions should I make sure to ask before accepting at either?

Re: Choosing Between Offers

Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm
by aliens
Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the situation where I have split my 2L summer between two biglaw firms. One is a satellite of a V30 with around 70 attorneys in the office with the other being a strong regional firm (V75) with a much larger office in my city (200+ attorneys). I would end up doing transactional work at either but don't really have a specific focus.

I loved the people and environment at the smaller office of the V30. There are just not as many partners to sustain a workflow at the V30 so that worries me a bit. The office did seem incredibly busy while I was there though.

On the other hand, the people at the bigger regional office were not as great and I don't feel like I fit in as well. The work, however, was very sophisticated and flowing from all angles. I just am hestitant to jump in with a bunch of personalities that I don't exactly mesh with.


How would you make your decision if you had an offer from both? And what questions should I make sure to ask before accepting at either?


I'd go with fit personally unless you knew that the V30 wasn't stable. Considering all the hours you'll be working, you should enjoy who/where you're working.