Choosing Between Offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Choosing Between Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm in the situation where I have split my 2L summer between two biglaw firms. One is a satellite of a V30 with around 70 attorneys in the office with the other being a strong regional firm (V75) with a much larger office in my city (200+ attorneys). I would end up doing transactional work at either but don't really have a specific focus.

I loved the people and environment at the smaller office of the V30. There are just not as many partners to sustain a workflow at the V30 so that worries me a bit. The office did seem incredibly busy while I was there though.

On the other hand, the people at the bigger regional office were not as great and I don't feel like I fit in as well. The work, however, was very sophisticated and flowing from all angles. I just am hestitant to jump in with a bunch of personalities that I don't exactly mesh with.

How would you make your decision if you had an offer from both? And what questions should I make sure to ask before accepting at either?

aliens

Re: Choosing Between Offers

Postby aliens » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the situation where I have split my 2L summer between two biglaw firms. One is a satellite of a V30 with around 70 attorneys in the office with the other being a strong regional firm (V75) with a much larger office in my city (200+ attorneys). I would end up doing transactional work at either but don't really have a specific focus.

I loved the people and environment at the smaller office of the V30. There are just not as many partners to sustain a workflow at the V30 so that worries me a bit. The office did seem incredibly busy while I was there though.

On the other hand, the people at the bigger regional office were not as great and I don't feel like I fit in as well. The work, however, was very sophisticated and flowing from all angles. I just am hestitant to jump in with a bunch of personalities that I don't exactly mesh with.

How would you make your decision if you had an offer from both? And what questions should I make sure to ask before accepting at either?

I'd go with fit personally unless you knew that the V30 wasn't stable. Considering all the hours you'll be working, you should enjoy who/where you're working.

Return to “Legal Employment”