Examples of professional emails..

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Examples of professional emails..

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm very bad at sending professional emails and writing formally, I skill I need to work on. I'm currently in the process of emailing various firms for various reasons, and would like to see some examples of emails to send in those situations.
1. A firm I bid on for OCI, but didn't get an interview with (Lottery based). How can I email them asking if they could possibly fit me in. Do I send any attachments along with the initial email?
2. To a firm in a city outside of OCI, but that you have strong ties to? For example, let's say I'm from Atlanta and want to work for Alston in Atlanta.
Also, should i first contact an alumni at that firm? What would I say to him/her in that email?

Thanks for the help!

cinephile

Re: Examples of professional emails..

Postby cinephile » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:01 pm

I would contact whomever the recruiter is, if there is one at that firm. Or maybe they have an HR office and have a contact listed there. Then it's just "Dear so-and-so, I'm a rising 2L at whatever law school and will be visiting my parents in X city on the following dates. Would it be possible to interview at XYZ firm during this time? Please see my resume and cover letter, attached. Thank you. Best, John Doe."

Same thing with the firm you weren't selected for. But I wouldn't remind them that they didn't select you, just say who you are and your situation (rising 2L at whatever school) and that you're interested in their firm and were hoping for the opportunity to interview. I would absolutely include attachments because otherwise, why would they be interested in you if they know nothing about you as a candidate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:24 pm

For the LA firms would you suggest attaching the cover lettrr or just pasting it as the body of the email?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the LA firms would you suggest attaching the cover lettrr or just pasting it as the body of the email?

I've heard elsewhere it's best to attach it because then it could be forwarded to whomever is interviewing you, etc. and that's easier than if you had put it in the body.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Great, thanks!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm

We're told to put the letter in the body of the email, unless it's one of those online application forms where you upload separate documents (obviously).

Return to “Legal Employment”