Prefer Business Lit & Corporate Transactional in Interview? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
guyplus

New

Prefer Business Lit & Corporate Transactional in Interview?

Post by guyplus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:37 am

Would it be wise to convey a preference for both business litigation & corporate transactional in an interview? I'm interviewing for multiple offices. They primarily do business lit firmwide, but their office in my target market is almost exclusively transactional. I know that coming across as playing both sides because you really have no real idea what you'd like to do is bad. However, I really do have a strong interest in the types of litigation and transactions that they do in the multiple offices. I don't want to foreclose any opportunities, which makes me feel like I'm stuck having to sell my interest in business lit at the expense of an opportunity to work in my target market.

Bronte

Gold

Re: Prefer Business Lit & Corporate Transactional in Interview?

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:51 am

First, call it "litigation" versus "corporate" or "transactional" (separately). Second, if they primarily do transactional in your target market you should probably tell them you want to do transactional and would prefer to end up in your target market. But add that you're just a law student so you don't really know and you would be happy to do litigation in their other offices.

guyplus

New

Post by guyplus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Bronte wrote:First, call it "litigation" versus "corporate" or "transactional" (separately). Second, if they primarily do transactional in your target market you should probably tell them you want to do transactional and would prefer to end up in your target market. But add that you're just a law student so you don't really know and you would be happy to do litigation in their other offices.
Thanks for the help. Now that I think about it, I definitely got a 1L CB after saying I wanted to do BK in a screener for an office that had no BK practice whatsoever. So, I guess I'm just worrying too much about a rather insignificant hiring factor.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Bronte wrote:First, call it "litigation" versus "corporate" or "transactional" (separately). Second, if they primarily do transactional in your target market you should probably tell them you want to do transactional and would prefer to end up in your target market. But add that you're just a law student so you don't really know and you would be happy to do litigation in their other offices.
are you saying there's a difference between corporate and transactional or that saying both is redundant?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:16 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
are you saying there's a difference between corporate and transactional or that saying both is redundant?
The latter. Just that he shouldn't say "business litigation" or "corporate transactional" in an interview.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Bronte wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
The latter. Just that he shouldn't say "business litigation" or "corporate transactional" in an interview.
that's what I thought :lol: thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”