Leveraging one offer into another offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aliens

Leveraging one offer into another offer

Postby aliens » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:28 am

If you're going to attempt to obtain a second offer by using the first offer, what would you say in doing so? This is a non-OCI/NALP situation.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: Leveraging one offer into another offer

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:06 am

"Hello, I have an offer from another firm with a response deadline of X." If they want you, they will let you know before then.

There's not really any such thing as "leveraging." If a firm doesn't want to hire you, they're not going to care that you got another offer.

aliens

Postby aliens » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:27 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:"Hello, I have an offer from another firm with a response deadline of X." If they want you, they will let you know before then.

There's not really any such thing as "leveraging." If a firm doesn't want to hire you, they're not going to care that you got another offer.

True. But what I don't want is for the firm to tell me to take the other offer if the deadline is too quickly for them to make a hiring decision. Is it ok to say something like "I have another offer, but I want to work for you and am prepared to decline that offer"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am

I said something like that, but was warned by OCS not to say it unless I truly would drop the first offer for the second, if it came. I thought about it, then went ahead and called Firm #2. I specifically told them that I REALLY wanted them and would accept an offer if given. I had an offer from Firm #2 in a couple days and accepted. This was an OCI situation, but no deadlines were in sight, at all.

Return to “Legal Employment”