Median at Duke Bid List Critique

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median at Duke Bid List Critique

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:17 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VyingDestiny

Re: Median at Duke Bid List Critique

Postby VyingDestiny » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:11 am

While I do not attend Duke, I would assume that those median offer GPAs were given to you confidentially, as firms are competitive and will adjust their standards accordingly once they see what their peers are doing.

I would suggest editing your post to remove that information.

name of user

Postby name of user » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:21 am

VyingDestiny wrote:While I do not attend Duke, I would assume that those median offer GPAs were given to you confidentially, as firms are competitive and will adjust their standards accordingly once they see what their peers are doing.

I would suggest editing your post to remove that information.

Seconded.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Done, but hasn't this kind of info been posted in every other OCI bidlist thread?

Edit: nvm guess not

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm not at Duke either, but if you're looking to stay in NC, you should rethink some of your Charlotte bids. Move up A+B, RBH since they have bigger class sizes. Maybe bump Winston and Dechert down a bit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not at Duke either, but if you're looking to stay in NC, you should rethink some of your Charlotte bids. Move up A+B, RBH since they have bigger class sizes. Maybe bump Winston and Dechert down a bit.

So you think playing up ties for a home market reach (eg RBH)>reach firm with huge class size (eg Kirkland)? That might make more sense regardless of where I want to end up

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Where are you getting your slot #s? NALP says 13 for Paul Hastings NYC and 28 for Ropes & Gray NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where are you getting your slot #s? NALP says 13 for Paul Hastings NYC and 28 for Ropes & Gray NYC.

The slot numbers are total interview slots at school for the lottery, not the SA class sizes. I factored that in to an extent (mostly just bid lower than I would have on firms with like 1 SA spot) but didn't write it down here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not at Duke either, but if you're looking to stay in NC, you should rethink some of your Charlotte bids. Move up A+B, RBH since they have bigger class sizes. Maybe bump Winston and Dechert down a bit.

So you think playing up ties for a home market reach (eg RBH)>reach firm with huge class size (eg Kirkland)? That might make more sense regardless of where I want to end up

I can't say without knowing more about you and your ties. But if you're looking in NC and have decent ties, you probably have a better shot at a firm like RBH that has 7-8 (or so) each summer than a regional office of someone like Dechert that takes maybe 2 summers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Didnt go to Duke, but going to a Charlotte big law firm.

You dont want brooke pierce. Move them down. Move up RHB and A&B. MVA and RBH are the non-big law heavy hitters in Charlotte for transactional. Why is K&L #1?

The tiny satellite offices of big firms are sketchy as they seem to open and close with the blink of an eye since they are usually 100% finance-related.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Didnt go to Duke, but going to a Charlotte big law firm.

You dont want brooke pierce. Move them down. Move up RHB and A&B. MVA and RBH are the non-big law heavy hitters in Charlotte for transactional. Why is K&L #1?

The tiny satellite offices of big firms are sketchy as they seem to open and close with the blink of an eye since they are usually 100% finance-related.

K&L Gates Charlotte office has like 90 attorneys and is basically the same firm as Kennedy Covington (the firm that K&L Gates merged with, at least so I've heard) so I'm not as worried about them as I would say a 10 person satalite office. I have them at 1 because they apparently not that selective.

I had A&B and RBH lower because I was under the impression that they would be really tough to crack from median @duke even with strong ties (more so than MVA).

Also anyone know where Parker poe should into this with respect to selectivity?

P.s - thanks to everyone for the help - this is exactly what I'm looking for

AllDangle

Postby AllDangle » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Tag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Didnt go to Duke, but going to a Charlotte big law firm.

K&L Gates Charlotte office has like 90 attorneys and is basically the same firm as Kennedy Covington (the firm that K&L Gates merged with, at least so I've heard) so I'm not as worried about them as I would say a 10 person satalite office. I have them at 1 because they apparently not that selective.

I had A&B and RBH lower because I was under the impression that they would be really tough to crack from median @duke even with strong ties (more so than MVA).

Also anyone know where Parker poe should into this with respect to selectivity?

P.s - thanks to everyone for the help - this is exactly what I'm looking for

PP isnt as selective as RBH or MVA. If I had to guess it would be more similar to K&L in terms of selectivity. Its a solid regional firm, so it definitely helps that you have ties.

I noticed there is no smith anderson on your bid list. Not feeling them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:05 pm

No Smith Anderson at OCI I, they're scheduled to be there at OCI II though.

Is RBH/A&B more selective than MVA? Thats sort of the impression I'm under and why I had MVA so much higher than them

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:57 pm

I would be weary of K&L. It's a really good firm nationally and if that's what you're looking for, go for it. K&L did merge with Kennedy Covington 5 years ago but there is pretty much nothing of KCLH left at K&L. I think you've got it right about selectivity though: MVA, A+B, McguireWoods, RBH, PP, K&L

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would be weary of K&L. It's a really good firm nationally and if that's what you're looking for, go for it. K&L did merge with Kennedy Covington 5 years ago but there is pretty much nothing of KCLH left at K&L. I think you've got it right about selectivity though: MVA, A+B, McguireWoods, RBH, PP, K&L

I'm also a Duke student.

I'd ask Career Services what the median is for the class (don't just assume its 3.3). You may be higher than you think. A couple years ago the median was 3.2 (at least that was the rumor)

If you do ask and find out, let me know what they say. I tried contacting my career advisor but he's notoriously difficult.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:50 pm

duke student doing big law in nc. pm if you like

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I think you've got it right about selectivity though: MVA, A+B, McguireWoods, RBH, PP, K&L

if this list is in some kind of order, you've got it almost exactly wrong

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:40 pm

TheFactor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I think you've got it right about selectivity though: MVA, A+B, McguireWoods, RBH, PP, K&L

if this list is in some kind of order, you've got it almost exactly wrong

Wasn't really meant to be in order, just some of the Charlotte firms that OP mentioned that are a blend between attainable and decent summer class size.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:54 pm

Just wondering why you don't have Cadwalader and A&B higher since you prefer corporate/transactional.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering why you don't have Cadwalader and A&B higher since you prefer corporate/transactional.

OP, if you're interested in transactional/corporate, put Cadwalader, Dechert, and AB higher and the other Charlotte firms lower
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Postby soj » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:duke student doing big law in nc. pm if you like

you didn't mean to use anon here, did you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just wondering why you don't have Cadwalader and A&B higher since you prefer corporate/transactional.

OP, if you're interested in transactional/corporate, put Cadwalader, Dechert, and AB higher and the other Charlotte firms lower

He didn't put them higher likely because they are tiny satellite offices that only take two or three SAs (outside A&B, of course). Plus those firms don't have a rep close to the other large NC firms he/she listed. NYC prestige doesn't transfer down south.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

He didn't put them higher likely because they are tiny satellite offices that only take two or three SAs (outside A&B, of course). Plus those firms don't have a rep close to the other large NC firms he/she listed. NYC prestige doesn't transfer down south.

Something like this. I'm very intersted in those firms because of the kind of work they do but want to maximize my chances of getting an offer.

I guess to make things easier, my question should be: am I an auto-ding at median from Duke (regardless of strong Charlotte ties) at places like RBH, A&B, Cadwallader? If so, then there's not much point in bidding them in the top 10.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Something like this. I'm very intersted in those firms because of the kind of work they do but want to maximize my chances of getting an offer.

I guess to make things easier, my question should be: am I an auto-ding at median from Duke (regardless of strong Charlotte ties) at places like RBH, A&B, Cadwallader? If so, then there's not much point in bidding them in the top 10.

Probably at A&B and RBH. I think you've got a good shot at Cadwalader

I've heard terrible things about Cadwalader in NYC but i don't know that it translates to the Charlotte office. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can weigh in, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”