Use another associate as reference?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Use another associate as reference?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 pm

I have been asked for refs for another job. I'm at a 3 person "firm" ATM. One partner and one other associate. No one knows I've been looking for other work. But now I need refs. I have two great prof refs but graduated in 2012. Can't use the partner I work for, for obvious reasons.

Should I just tell the associate and then use him as my 3rd? Is there some risk to that? He's expressed bitterness at work about friends getting "better" jobs than him who are "dumber" than him. Also, he hasn't seen much of my work product. I'm on the fence about whether he would say all nice things or not, based on his personality and being unsure as to how he may view my departure (or, attempted departure). I would know AFTER a discussion with him, but don't like the idea if letting the cat out of the bag only to determine that he will be upset with me and thus a bad reference. If it matters, he's a 2010 grad, and I think that although he isn't fully content at our firm, he won't ever really look elsewhere.

Re: Use another associate as reference?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been asked for refs for another job. I'm at a 3 person "firm" ATM. One partner and one other associate. No one knows I've been looking for other work. But now I need refs. I have two great prof refs but graduated in 2012. Can't use the partner I work for, for obvious reasons.

Should I just tell the associate and then use him as my 3rd? Is there some risk to that? He's expressed bitterness at work about friends getting "better" jobs than him who are "dumber" than him. Also, he hasn't seen much of my work product. I'm on the fence about whether he would say all nice things or not, based on his personality and being unsure as to how he may view my departure (or, attempted departure). I would know AFTER a discussion with him, but don't like the idea if letting the cat out of the bag only to determine that he will be upset with me and thus a bad reference. If it matters, he's a 2010 grad, and I think that although he isn't fully content at our firm, he won't ever really look elsewhere.

Do not even think of listing this bozo as a reference. Period. The only reason to ever even think of listing a non-supervisor is if you know they'll basically say you're Jesus reincarnated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been asked for refs for another job. I'm at a 3 person "firm" ATM. One partner and one other associate. No one knows I've been looking for other work. But now I need refs. I have two great prof refs but graduated in 2012. Can't use the partner I work for, for obvious reasons.

I don't know if you have rose-colored-glasses syndrome, but, based on what you told me, I would have never even considered using this guy as a reference. Nothing about him seems like a good reference. I'd rather go with just 2 references than 3 references if my 3 references included this douche. I would try to get a former employer or supervisor that you knew pretty well from one of your previous internships. Or just stick with the two profs if you can't think of anyone else. Just don't put your current coworker.

Story: I put a reference from a former job who ended up screwing me. I had feelings he/she would, but she seemed so positive when I asked her, so I put her down. Turned out that she really gave a lukewarm reference for me, which I found out from my interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Yeah, I am being a little bit blind to reason here. The firm that wants the refs knows that I am coming from a tiny firm; should they be understanding that I only have professors or internship supervisors from back in law school as refs? No one but the two I work with have seen my work product since, so there is nothing else I could do...

Return to “Legal Employment”