Hobbies/Interests section - REALLY?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rinkrat19

Re: Hobbies/Interests section - REALLY?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:42 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:I have never put an interest section in my resume. Is this bad? I mean, I could add one but then it would be moving into the 2 page territory.

Unless you've had like 10 jobs and/or have been extensively published, it WILL fit on one page, I promise. Add the interests.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:43 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:I have never put an interest section in my resume. Is this bad? I mean, I could add one but then it would be moving into the 2 page territory.

This is why I did the one-liner:

Personal Interests: Basket-weaving, Women's Volleyball, and Long Walks on the Beach

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:44 pm

OK fair enough.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:45 pm

BVest wrote:

Personal Interests: Basket-weaving, Women's Volleyball, and Long Walks on the Beach

Yeah, mine is one line too.

rinkrat19 wrote:Here's my current resume, genericized and redacted. Red is stuff that has been added since starting law school. The resume I applied to law school with was basically the same design before cramming the new stuff in, except with more relaxed spacing. There may have been a third bullet point under the older jobs before I had to fit the new stuff in.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
BVest wrote:

Yeah, mine is one line too.

rinkrat19 wrote:Here's my current resume, genericized and redacted. Red is stuff that has been added since starting law school. The resume I applied to law school with was basically the same design before cramming the new stuff in, except with more relaxed spacing. There may have been a third bullet point under the older jobs before I had to fit the new stuff in.

This screams public interest :)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:57 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:This screams public interest :)

I figure it's pretty even between PI and IP.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:09 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I figure it's pretty even between PI and IP.

Agreed.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:17 pm

BVest wrote:
SBL wrote:If you do this section right, it will help you get a job. Period. The trick is to list nothing that could possibly offend anyone (e.g. not even homebrewing or wine tasting), and nothing so general it can't be a conversation starter (reading, cooking). I listed specific hobbies that are only shared by a small number of people (fantasy baseball, Crock Potting, etc), and had fantastic experiences in interviews when those came up.

If they are offended by homebrewing and wine tasting, I literally have no interest working for them. I don't mean they have to share those interests (and I don't have those down on my resume as interests, because I like to enjoy the product of the former without the work, and while I like the latter, who doesn't?), I just mean that sane, intelligent people aren't offended by people who do like these pursuits.

You aren't working for ONLY the one fucking guy doing your screener interview.

And you it doesn't only hurt if they base your ding solely on it. All it has to do is create a little bias and ur fuct.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BVest wrote:
SBL wrote:If you do this section right, it will help you get a job. Period. The trick is to list nothing that could possibly offend anyone (e.g. not even homebrewing or wine tasting), and nothing so general it can't be a conversation starter (reading, cooking). I listed specific hobbies that are only shared by a small number of people (fantasy baseball, Crock Potting, etc), and had fantastic experiences in interviews when those came up.

If they are offended by homebrewing and wine tasting, I literally have no interest working for them. I don't mean they have to share those interests (and I don't have those down on my resume as interests, because I like to enjoy the product of the former without the work, and while I like the latter, who doesn't?), I just mean that sane, intelligent people aren't offended by people who do like these pursuits.

And you it doesn't only hurt if they base your ding solely on it. All it has to do is create a little bias and ur fuct.

No? I thought I was.

It's about environment. I have more WE than many of the attorneys on here and know who I can work with. Narrowminded fools with irrational prejudices are not included in that group. I was not being hyperbolic when I said I literally have no interest working for them, but I should have also included the alternate preposition of "with." As interests go, Wine Tasting and Homebrewing are not exactly the equivalents of "Protesting Abortion Clinics," "Organizing Atheist Society Conventions," or "Tea Party Rallies."

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:40 pm

BVest wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
BVest wrote:

No? I thought I was.

It's about environment. I have more WE than many of the attorneys on here and know who I can work with. Narrowminded fools with irrational prejudices are not included in that group. I was not being hyperbolic when I said I literally have no interest working for them, but I should have also included the alternate preposition of "with." As interests go, Wine Tasting and Homebrewing are not exactly the equivalents of "Protesting Abortion Clinics," "Organizing Atheist Society Conventions," or "Tea Party Rallies."

Dude, a screener is like 1 person out of a firm of 200+ attorneys. Just because you think one person sucks doesn't mean the others suck.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
BVest wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
BVest wrote:If they are offended by homebrewing and wine tasting, I literally have no interest working for them. I don't mean they have to share those interests (and I don't have those down on my resume as interests, because I like to enjoy the product of the former without the work, and while I like the latter, who doesn't?), I just mean that sane, intelligent people aren't offended by people who do like these pursuits.

No? I thought I was.

Dude, a screener is like 1 person out of a firm of 200+

And if they say no, you don't get in the door. As such, you don't risk pissing them off.

That said, homebrewing/wine tasting would be 100% fine in Portland. 8)

guano

Postby guano » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:42 pm

BVest wrote: I have more WE than many of the attorneys on here

This is sure to end well...

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
BVest wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

No? I thought I was.

Dude, a screener is like 1 person out of a firm of 200+

And if they say no, you don't get in the door. As such, you don't risk pissing them off.

Correct, but the whole attitude of "I don't want to work for a whole firm because of one d00d" is bad approach.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:And if they say no, you don't get in the door. As such, you don't risk pissing them off.

Correct, but the whole attitude of "I don't want to work for a whole firm because of one d00d" is bad approach.

I was agreeing with you.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Good luck in law if you can't work near a crazy asshole, since about 2/3rds of all lawyers are.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:And if they say no, you don't get in the door. As such, you don't risk pissing them off.

I was agreeing with you.

And I was agreeing to... ah screw it. Got any homebrew tips?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Good luck in law if you can't work near a crazy asshole, since about 2/3rds of all lawyers are.

Yeah basically this. If you're so wildly passionate about cooking meth or whatever that you need to list it on your resume, by all means, but you're taking a needless risk. And it's dumb to assume that at a law firm with 1,000 attorneys the guy doing your OCI screener is a fair representative (good or bad) of how cool your coworkers are going to be.

Also, re sports, TCR is never list a sport if you can't have a good conversation about it. Saying you're into Dodger Baseball when you don't know, why, e.g., Andre Ethier is killing the team or Don Mattingly is a horrible manager is just bad form. It's a bit like saying you're fluent in Spanish when in actuality you just stumbled out a "Donde esta the biblioteca?" to a confused-looking drive-thru employee at a Taco Bell when you were drunk at 2 a.m.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 pm

SBL wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Good luck in law if you can't work near a crazy asshole, since about 2/3rds of all lawyers are.

Yeah basically this. If you're so wildly passionate about cooking meth or whatever that you need to list it on your resume, by all means, but you're taking a needless risk. And it's dumb to assume that at a law firm with 1,000 attorneys the guy doing your OCI screener is a fair representative (good or bad) of how cool your coworkers are going to be.

Also, re sports, TCR is never list a sport if you can't have a good conversation about it. Saying you're into Dodger Baseball when you don't know, why, e.g., Andre Ethier is killing the team or Don Mattingly is a horrible manager is just bad form. It's a bit like saying you're fluent in Spanish when in actuality you just stumbled out a "Donde esta the biblioteca?" to a confused-looking drive-thru employee at a Taco Bell when you were drunk at 2 a.m.

Pretty much. I'd expand your sports advice to almost anything, really. The trick is actually have an interest and to know enough about it to convey you actually have an interest in it (and didn't just start liking it 5 days ago). Where problems may arise is if you know one sub-topic and the other person knows another sub-topic. In that situation, you may be come across as awkward, because you leave a dead space in the conversation, a bullshit artist, because you say a bunch of nonsense, or a decent person, because you admit you didn't know much about that sub-topic about it and you want to know more about it (or do something else to keep the conversation going in a pleasant manner).

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:20 am

Is poker legit to list under interests? I'm a strong player and have made a good amount of money playing both live and online, but feel there's still a stigma attached. Would a conservative employer see "poker" and just think "degenerate gambler"?

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:01 am

Is poker legit to list under interests? I'm a strong player and have made a good amount of money playing both live and online, but feel there's still a stigma attached. Would a conservative employer see "poker" and just think "degenerate gambler"?

Subjectively, I think it's fine... less of a stigma now. Objectively though, no idea. I think there was a thread on something similar somewhere else but I can't remember the exact advice given there (I think they were asking about using poker as a connection a place like Atlantic City or something though, which is different).

Also, WTF are the font/margin sizes you people use for resumes? I tinkered with mine for a little while last night and couldn't get it down to 1 page for some reason. I do have a "bar admissions" section which adds to it though.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:57 am

Mista Bojangles wrote:Is poker legit to list under interests? I'm a strong player and have made a good amount of money playing both live and online, but feel there's still a stigma attached. Would a conservative employer see "poker" and just think "degenerate gambler"?

Yeah I'd stay away from gambling.

Honestly IMO, lawyers are such addicts that anything about booze, gambling, etc. is too likely to raise a red flag to be worth bringing up.

Edit: But maybe this is just my lawyerish risk adverse personality talking. Thinking more about it, I think wine-tasting is bougie enough to get away with. Homebrewing is still too "niche," I think. Wouldn't be surprised if some boomer partner thought it meant you were running moonshine or involved in some Smokey and the Bandit shit.
Last edited by dixiecupdrinking on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:01 am

Some firms take their associates to Las Vegas to play poker with the partners. I think that if you know the firm, poker can be a good addition to an interests section.

chem

Postby chem » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:Is poker legit to list under interests? I'm a strong player and have made a good amount of money playing both live and online, but feel there's still a stigma attached. Would a conservative employer see "poker" and just think "degenerate gambler"?

Yeah I'd stay away from gambling.

Honestly IMO, lawyers are such addicts that anything about booze, gambling, etc. is too likely to raise a red flag to be worth bringing up.

Edit: But maybe this is just my lawyerish risk adverse personality talking. Thinking more about it, I think wine-tasting is bougie enough to get away with. Homebrewing is still too "niche," I think. Wouldn't be surprised if some boomer partner thought it meant you were running moonshine or involved in some Smokey and the Bandit shit.

On the contrary. I have it on my resume, and in every interview it was talked about. Every interviewer either homebrewed themselves at one point or had someone close to them that had. FWIW, every interview I got an offer I talked about homebrewing, and every interview I didn't talk about it I didn't get a callback

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:20 am

Jsa725 wrote:friend of my friend literally got a job b/c in his interests he put "Squash" and the interviewing partner was an avid player. YNK. HTH.

This literally happened to me. Another +1 for the interests section.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any good way of phrasing handicapping horses to make it not look degenerate?

Don't know if you're still reading this thread; I'd think you were awesome (and would ask for tips) but would steer well clear of this on the resume.

Return to “Legal Employment”