Specifying an Area of Law in OCI Cover Letter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kage3212

Specifying an Area of Law in OCI Cover Letter?

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:54 pm

I am a rising 2L. I am prepping all my cover letters for OCI and will be applying to all the big firms here in my home market (Pittsburgh). Should I be specifying an area of law in my cover letters that is of particular interest to me, or should I go the vague route? I keep getting conflicting advice on this subject and wanted to see what you guys had to say. I don't want to be pigeon-holing myself/shooting myself in the foot, but on the other hand I don't want to seem disinterested in the practice areas of the firm.

Examples/samples of some of the relevant language regarding this topic would also be extremely beneficial. Thank you!

Kage3212

Re: Specifying an Area of Law in OCI Cover Letter?

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 pm

To further clarify, I was thinking if we should be expressing some interest in a particular practice area, i.e. employment and labor law. It then dawned on me if the answer to that question is no, should we be expressing some interest in litigation groups vs. transactional groups? These things are driving me mad.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:55 pm

honestly, your career services will be more helpful than this site. the answer is going to depend on a million factors specific to your interests and experience, as well as the market and type of firms you're targeting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Pros and cons to both.
If a firm is looking to fill a need in a particular practice area you mentioned, it'll make a difference. If that practice area is full, it'll also make a difference. Check what the firm's website says about the summer program, to see if you are given more if a say in what you work on, or if it's more rotational. Think of it from the firm's perspective and if you think that firm would prefer a blank slate, or is more likely to care about particular preferences. Only mention the preference if that office/firm is known for that practice area - it's not unusual for small market offices to only have a limited range of services.
telling Fragomen you want to work in immigration is a good thing
Telling Quinn Emanuel you want to do transactional work, autoding

Return to “Legal Employment”