Patent 1L SA and mass mail questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SaintsTheMetal

Patent 1L SA and mass mail questions

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Got a little time off before 1L starts in about a month so I'm trying to prepare some 1L job search stuff while Im not doin jack shit right now.. coverletter, resume, and trying to make a list of places to apply. I saw a lot of threads talk about Patent people having more 1L SA opportunities. So a couple questions:

1) Where do you find these 1L SA opportunities for Patent eligible/IP people? By this do people just mean mass-mail to firms that have IP groups? Or do firms have specific job postings for IP SAs? Would you mention in a cover letter that you are looking for IP work? I wouldn't want to be ruled out for non-IP if that's not what they're looking for... If I were to have a preference for IP lit, should I say that or are most of these openings for prosecution only? Priority would obviously be any 1L SA>lit...

2) Firms that say they dont take 1Ls, did you guys still mass-mail these firms? I've heard some people say that they may come back and invite you to interview in the summer for a 2L ahead of OCI, but I wouldn't want to look like a jackass asking for a 1L SA if they state on NALP that they don't take them right?

3) Firms with multiple offices - do you email the recruiter for each office you want to work for? If two offices have the same recruiter I assume that you would just email him/her about both offices, but if two offices have different recruiters, do you basically treat them as 2 separate firms and mass-mail independently to each one?

TYIA

Re: Patent 1L SA and mass mail questions

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:40 pm

0) Chill out til November

1) A little of all that. You should mass mail all firms with IP, all IP botiques, etc. etc. Some will have job postings too. Mention you want to do IP work, they probably aren't looking for general people for 1L anyway.

2) I wouldn't waste my time but do some searching to make sure they really don't have 1Ls.

3) If two people, treat is separate.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:15 pm

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:0) Chill out til November

1) A little of all that. You should mass mail all firms with IP, all IP botiques, etc. etc. Some will have job postings too. Mention you want to do IP work, they probably aren't looking for general people for 1L anyway.

2) I wouldn't waste my time but do some searching to make sure they really don't have 1Ls.

3) If two people, treat is separate.

Thank you for the helpful response. I figure if I can get some shit out of the way now while I am doing literally nothing, it should give me more time to keep going out and in general a less stressful fall schedule. jmho

When you says some will have job postings, do you count on your school's CSO and symplicity to get those? Or do you check individual firms websites periodically and watch for these postings starting around Nov?

That should be all and thanks again for the helpful responses guys

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Way to be proactive! I agree with waiting till November to begin mailing but since you say you're doing nothing, why not make an excel spreadsheet? List the firms and the recruiting contact. That way it'll be ready to go and u can add and subtract from the list as you please

Return to “Legal Employment”