Is there a sweet spot of pay and stability?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is there a sweet spot of pay and stability?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:03 pm

Big Law, frankly, seems too cutthroat for me (I'm sure most of you have read, if not at least seen, the article on the New Republic already). I'm unwilling to have so little time for family life even with the 6- to 7-figure pay. Honestly, a high 5-figure pay (70k+) would probably be satisfactory for me.

But I'm also not a big fan of litigation or pure academia. Honestly, I'm a complete greenhorn on actual law professions (apologies), but is there some sort of profession for me? Some people (with no formal education of law) have suggested corporate law or contract law, but I don't actually know what those professions are or entail and am not sure they really knew specifically either.

Could anyone suggest me professions to research on, reading materials, advice, etc.? Thanks much.

Anonymous User

Re: Is there a sweet spot of pay and stability?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Ew. Thanks for this though.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Government work

In house consul.

Good luck getting either out of law school.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:10 pm

A friend of mine clerked 2 years in a row and then went in house

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Boutique firms (i.e. high quality of work in a limited number of practice areas) are often more humane, and depending on the market can still pay six figures. Some take summer associates; some only hire laterals looking for a change from larger firms or government. From what I understand you typically need background and/or demonstrable interest in one of their specialties to be seriously considered for a job.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Government work. You'll be pulling 6 figures within 5 years and be working in a union-protected job position with exceptional benefits (retirement, teleworking, insurance, etc). Oh, and 40hr weeks.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Government work

In house consul.

Good luck getting either out of law school.

+1
I would work at the govt where I'm summering in a heartbeat. They get paid within reasonable shouting distance of the local "biglaw" salary, and they work 40 hour weeks. Unfortunately they all had 5-10 years of firm experience before coming here, and there's almost no turnover.

Return to “Legal Employment”