Ask an Attorney Out for a Beer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ask an Attorney Out for a Beer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:05 pm

I recently ran into a situation where I went and got a beer with an attorney at a major firm after work. I'm on the "gun hard and network" train in preparation for OCI and I plan on doing a couple more informal meetings with attorneys in the city I want to work in.

I kind of happened into the circumstance, but it was a really, relaxed, fun way to network and I feel like I establish great connections when in this environment (cocktail receptions are another strength of mine).

Is this something that's appropriate to do? i.e. instead of asking an attorney if we can go to lunch or grab coffee can I ask if he/she wants to grab drinks after work? I was thinking that, especially for the "fratty" firms, this would be a good way to show that I fit in with cultures that usually go out for drinks after work.

Thanks in advance for responses.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Re: Ask an Attorney Out for a Beer?

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:21 pm

First, I have no experience exactly with this.
Second, I love drinking beers, but I would find it a little bit weird if someone e-mailed me about having a beer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:23 pm

I think beers are totally normal. Only prude America would have a problem with a little libation.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:24 pm

I recently had a 2L who goes to my alma mater and who I dont know at all email me wanting to grab a beer. Totally awkward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Pokemon wrote:First, I have no experience exactly with this.
Second, I love drinking beers, but I would find it a little bit weird if someone e-mailed me about having a beer.

OP here. I think it would be more of a "grab a drink after work" rather than "let's get a beer sometime"

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I think it would be more of a "grab a drink after work" rather than "let's get a beer sometime"

Suggest dinner and say you'll pay for a bottle of wine.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I know... here is how I see it though. That attorney has a life of his own, wife/husband/girlfriend/kidsetc, may feel tired, maybe after work the first thing he wants to do is go home, and whole other sorts of considerations, did I mention he probably does not find a student that interesting; all these factors built up against the beer after work.

Coffee/lunch however is something that he probably has to do everyday, and at a what time when he is still fresh. So I imagine it is easier for him to agree for that and less awkward. It is kind of a sure why not type of thing;

I am only a student, but when I have helped people/met with people before, I usually went for coffee. I save beers for people that I already know and already like. Beer at a bar seems to me more personal, and would not want to do it with someone I have not met before on something related to work.

This might be just my biases though.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know... here is how I see it though. That attorney has a life of his own, wife/husband/girlfriend/kidsetc, may feel tired, maybe after work the first thing he wants to do is go home, and whole other sorts of considerations, did I mention he probably does not find a student that interesting; all these factors built up against the beer after work.

Coffee/lunch however is something that he probably has to do everyday, and at a what time when he is still fresh. So I imagine it is easier for him to agree for that and less awkward. It is kind of a sure why not type of thing;

I am only a student, but when I have helped people/met with people before, I usually went for coffee. I save beers for people that I already know and already like. Beer at a bar seems to me more personal, and would not want to do it with someone I have not met before on something related to work.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP

Sounds really reasonable. I don't have a problem meeting people over beers, but I can see how others could--it is, after all, more personal. I probably just got lucky with the attorney this last time.

I appreciate the advice.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP

Sounds really reasonable. I don't have a problem meeting people over beers, but I can see how others could--it is, after all, more personal. I probably just got lucky with the attorney this last time.

I appreciate the advice.

Just curious is the OP a girl a guy

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently ran into a situation where I went and got a beer with an attorney at a major firm after work. I'm on the "gun hard and network" train in preparation for OCI and I plan on doing a couple more informal meetings with attorneys in the city I want to work in.

I kind of happened into the circumstance, but it was a really, relaxed, fun way to network and I feel like I establish great connections when in this environment (cocktail receptions are another strength of mine).

Is this something that's appropriate to do? i.e. instead of asking an attorney if we can go to lunch or grab coffee can I ask if he/she wants to grab drinks after work? I was thinking that, especially for the "fratty" firms, this would be a good way to show that I fit in with cultures that usually go out for drinks after work.

Thanks in advance for responses.

No. Don't do this unless you previously met in-person.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:44 pm

MoonDreamer wrote:Just curious is the OP a girl a guy

Guy. I generally prefer meeting with male attorneys too.

MoonDreamer

Postby MoonDreamer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:Just curious is the OP a girl a guy

Guy. I generally prefer meeting with male attorneys too.

lol

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:11 am

I'd start with a lunch or coffee. If that goes well they might suggest going to happy hour sometime. But I've only had this happen with pretty young associates.

Return to “Legal Employment”