Reapplying to a firm for 2L summer - cover letter needed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reapplying to a firm for 2L summer - cover letter needed?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:35 pm

I searched, but couldn't find anything specific about this. I'm mass mailing a firm in a secondary market. I interviewed unsuccessfully with the firm for a 1L SA. I received a rejection letter directing me to forward my updated materials to a specific partner for 2L recruiting. Do I need to include a cover letter? If so, how should I address the fact that I already interviewed with them once?

Thanks!

BVest

Re: Reapplying to a firm for 2L summer - cover letter needed?

Postby BVest » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Absolutely. In this case, however, it would be about the pleasure of visiting with the partner (or other members of the firm) previously and demonstrating the higher level of knowledge about the firm than your peers who didn't get the 1L interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks. Do I need to go over my practice area interests and experience again, or should the letter be focused on my specific interest in the firm? I already talked about my practice area interests with the partners who interviewed me. Should I just re-work this information in by talking about how much I enjoyed discussing X with partners Y and Z?

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. Do I need to go over my practice area interests and experience again, or should the letter be focused on my specific interest in the firm? I already talked about my practice area interests with the partners who interviewed me. Should I just re-work this information in by talking about how much I enjoyed discussing X with partners Y and Z?

Get someone who has a decent amount of professional experience to review your letter before you send it. You are asking some really basic questions, so I think you will benefit from some editing / tone checking before you hit send.

Yes, you absolutely should send a cover letter. This situation begs for one.

First paragraph: brief rehash of why you are writing. (Im a rising 2L at X (add good grades/class rank if you have them). Last year so-and-so encouraged me to contact you. I'm still interested and would like to be considered for an SA position.)

Second paragraph: brief description of why firm X and what you will bring. (My work this summer/in course Y made me interested in Z and firm X has a great reputation in Z.(tie in past conversations) I hope to have the opportunity to use skills A, B, and C that I developed this summer.)

Third paragraph: closing. (If you will be in the area mention it. Otherwise, give contact info.)

Obviously, none of the above is wordsmithed. Keep it brief, but hit the high points.

Return to “Legal Employment”