HLS Grad applying to firms in small market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arkansawyer

HLS Grad applying to firms in small market

Postby arkansawyer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Title says it all, is there a particularly good way to go about this?

TooOld4This

Re: HLS Grad applying to firms in small market

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Contact alumni in the market and ask them for advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Send emails to firms with a cover letter and resume?

Oh, ya, include "Harvard Law School" on your resume...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Send emails to firms with a cover letter and resume?

Oh, ya, include "Harvard Law School" on your resume...

Speaking as an HLSer in a smaller market, this is only partially true, you need to make sure you include any connection you have to the small market as one of the first things you mention in your cover letter. Small markets can be hesitant about HLS students because they assume that we want to be in the bigger markets and they are only a fallback option, your cover letter needs to really highlight why you want to be in that market.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:35 pm

I've been really interested in this thread but there has been little response . could some other HLS folks chime in.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Not an HLS'er, but I do work in a large firm in the Detroit market, and I'll second that unless you have the BEST story for why you want to come settle here FOREVER, I wouldn't believe you're going to stay and probably wouldn't hire you.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:47 pm

Would the fact that you grew up and completed your undergrad there suffice.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Motivator9 wrote:I've been really interested in this thread but there has been little response . could some other HLS folks chime in.

It is entirely market dependent. Reaching out to alumni in the market is the best way to figure it out. Figure out what you want to do, then find alumni who are likely to have some knowledge of that area and send them an email. Let them know you are an HLS grad and that you are interested in relocating to the area (give good reason) and ask if they would be willing to set up a time to speak with you about the legal market. Don't ask them for a job, ask them how to find a job. If the conversation goes well, they might ask for your resume. Even if they don't, you should get an idea of who the major players are, whether there are headhunters worth using, what practice areas are hot, etc. Ask if there are any people they would recommend you speak with.

Use that HLS network.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Motivator9 wrote:Would the fact that you grew up and completed your undergrad there suffice.

Be sure to talk about the things that make you want to come back for good. Don't just rely on history, explain how it relates to your future.

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Not an HLS'er, but I do work in a large firm in the Detroit market, and I'll second that unless you have the BEST story for why you want to come settle here FOREVER, I wouldn't believe you're going to stay and probably wouldn't hire you.

This is also a reason you want to start by contacting alumni. Since they made the same decision you are wanting to, you are less likely to get the same level of initial skepticism. You will still need to sell why you want to make the move, but that act can be a way to actually establish a rapport (and maybe get the person to be more willing to be an advocate) rather than just getting you to even.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:31 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
Motivator9 wrote:Would the fact that you grew up and completed your undergrad there suffice.

Be sure to talk about the things that make you want to come back for good. Don't just rely on history, explain how it relates to your future.

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Not an HLS'er, but I do work in a large firm in the Detroit market, and I'll second that unless you have the BEST story for why you want to come settle here FOREVER, I wouldn't believe you're going to stay and probably wouldn't hire you.

This is also a reason you want to start by contacting alumni. Since they made the same decision you are wanting to, you are less likely to get the same level of initial skepticism. You will still need to sell why you want to make the move, but that act can be a way to actually establish a rapport (and maybe get the person to be more willing to be an advocate) rather than just getting you to even.

So much this. I got shut out of my home market because I thought, "I fucking grew up here and only left to go to Harvard" would be enough to establish ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:05 pm

I was an earlier poster here, but still not really sure what this thread is supposed to accomplish.

Is it the idea that HLS is so elite that employers in small markets are afraid? I really don't think HLS is somehow special or different in these circumstances, if you apply to a job in a smaller city and you don't have some sort of connection to the place, the employer is going to think "why are they applying here?"

If you are applying to small town jobs because you're near the bottom of the class at HLS, they probably won't care for you very much because you suck.

When you are applying to the same place as your school, it's pretty obvious why you're applying. Pretty sure this all comes down to a line or two in your cover letter giving some reason for your application.

Maybe I'm just lacking in sufficient crimson creed.

Return to “Legal Employment”