Questions to ask while networking pre-OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Questions to ask while networking pre-OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:52 pm

I've set up meetings with both associates and partners at a few firms that will also be OCI. All of these meetings were arranged through blind contact requests. Clearly these networking meetings are not interviews, but what kinds of questions should I and/or appropriate to ask? Is it appropriate to ask what the firm is looking for? Now that I have the meetings set up, I'm not sure how to make the best use of them.

Anonymous User

Re: Questions to ask while networking pre-OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've set up meetings with both associates and partners at a few firms that will also be OCI. All of these meetings were arranged through blind contact requests. Clearly these networking meetings are not interviews, but what kinds of questions should I and/or appropriate to ask? Is it appropriate to ask what the firm is looking for? Now that I have the meetings set up, I'm not sure how to make the best use of them.

Since this is a cold meeting you should try to keep it as professional as possible while being conversational and friendly. Don't ask for a job. Don't ask how the firm is doing financially. Don't ask about vacation, billable hours, bonuses etc. Just use your common sense. Other than that just keep it professional and don't ask questions that can be answered with a little research.

Also, you should treat it as an interview as the attorney will be evaluating you and you'd like to make a good impression. Good luck and have fun! It's as much about determining whether you like the firm as much as it is about making a good impression.

Return to “Legal Employment”