DC Biglaw-->Florida

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC Biglaw-->Florida

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:46 am

Hi all. So I'm (hopefully, fingers crossed) going to be in the position to accept an offer from my DC SA firm soon. If I get the offer, I can accept it immediately, even though I have a clerkship with a USDC judge in Florida in between when I'd be coming back to the firm.

I'd like to accept the offer, clerk, work in DC for a few years, and possibly head back down to Florida. The catch is I'd be interested in regulatory-type work (think Hogan Lovells, Latham type work) and am not sure there is a lateral market for that kind of work in Florida. Would I be able to lateral to Tampa/Orlando/Miami as a fifth or sixth year associate with a clerkship and regulatory work as my experience?

Thanks, all.

Louis1127

Re: DC Biglaw-->Florida

Postby Louis1127 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Probably won't be the answer you're looking for, but...

Companies, firms, you name it, in my experience LOVE folks who have been inside the beltway. Whether it's in a member's office, a committee office, or a legal clerkship like you're talking about. Most people work in DC for a few years then go back home (or to another location). To answer your question, I would say you would be able to pull off that lateral move very feasibly FWIW.

Hopefully some more posters will give you some more info. Good luck!

ZyzzBrah

Re: DC Biglaw-->Florida

Postby ZyzzBrah » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:16 am

Greenspoon Marder does some (I dont know how much) regulatory work

Return to “Legal Employment”