How to bid NYC from Boalt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
brotherdarkness

How to bid NYC from Boalt

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:55 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Re: How to bid NYC from Boalt

Postby bhan87 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:48 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I'm a transfer student at Boalt and was top of my class at a T1 for my 1L year. I'm from California and want to practice in California but I'm very afraid of striking out at OCI due to the horror-stories I've heard of the California market. I have no IP background, I'm not URM, and my family isn't a client of any big firm. Since I'd rather be employed anywhere than unemployed in California, I figure it would be smart to bid on New York firms.

I've read that splitting up a bidlist between multiple markets can lead to certain death in some situations, so I'm curious as to how to split between CA and NYC without shooting myself in the foot. Do alternate my top 20 bids between CA and NYC? Do I devote top 10 to CA and the next 10 to NYC? Is there a "right" way to do this?

Pardon if this sounds ignorant, but do the firms you interview with know what firms and which markets you bid on (i.e. getting a copy of your bidlist)? I thought this wasn't the case, at least at my school. The only way they would know is if they asked you and you told them flat-out, which you actually no obligation to do.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:22 pm

bhan87 wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:I'm a transfer student at Boalt and was top of my class at a T1 for my 1L year. I'm from California and want to practice in California but I'm very afraid of striking out at OCI due to the horror-stories I've heard of the California market. I have no IP background, I'm not URM, and my family isn't a client of any big firm. Since I'd rather be employed anywhere than unemployed in California, I figure it would be smart to bid on New York firms.

I've read that splitting up a bidlist between multiple markets can lead to certain death in some situations, so I'm curious as to how to split between CA and NYC without shooting myself in the foot. Do alternate my top 20 bids between CA and NYC? Do I devote top 10 to CA and the next 10 to NYC? Is there a "right" way to do this?

Pardon if this sounds ignorant, but do the firms you interview with know what firms and which markets you bid on (i.e. getting a copy of your bidlist)? I thought this wasn't the case, at least at my school. The only way they would know is if they asked you and you told them flat-out, which you actually no obligation to do.

I have never heard of that practice, but I am not that familiar with Boalt. I would be absolutely shocked if that's the case and it's pretty TTT of a school to provide your bidlist to your interviewers. I think, bhan87, you might have heard that your school provides your resume to every firm you bid on, regardless of whether or not you get an interview - I can sort of see how you might confuse the two ideas. The later is a common practice among schools I'm familiar with, but query as to whether or not it does anything.

OP, I think you really need to talk to transfer students at Boalt and get a vibe as to how their experiences went - many of the NYC firms are likely going to be unfamiliar with your original T1 school, so the conventional logic is that they will just treat you as an "average" Boalt student, but I'm not really sure how true to form that conventional logic is. If maximizing job prospects is your only concern and you're sure you can enumerate a good reason for NYC, I say bid large CA and NY firms (preferably not the uber-elite) throughout your top bids, with the specific order determined by the relative popularity of the firm at your school.

A lot of mid-tier NYC firms probably do not come to Boalt, but might be interested to receive a mass mail from a Boalt student, especially if they're interested in diversity in their class compositions. I don't know of the extent of Boalt's OCI but my gut would say that the MC firms, Cadwalader, Milbank, etc. probably don't make it to Boalt (maybe Milbank because they have a small LA office?), but firms of those caliber (and on down, i.e. Dechert, Fried Frank) may be particularly receptive. Hence, in maximizing mass mails, look for NYC firms that are (1) relatively large in size, (2) don't come to Boalt OCI, and (3) are not incredibly grade-picky.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:31 pm

koalatriste wrote:
bhan87 wrote:

I have never heard of that practice, but I am not that familiar with Boalt. I would be absolutely shocked if that's the case and it's pretty TTT of a school to provide your bidlist to your interviewers. I think, bhan87, you might have heard that your school provides your resume to every firm you bid on, regardless of whether or not you get an interview - I can sort of see how you might confuse the two ideas. The later is a common practice among schools I'm familiar with, but query as to whether or not it does anything.

OP, I think you really need to talk to transfer students at Boalt and get a vibe as to how their experiences went - many of the NYC firms are likely going to be unfamiliar with your original T1 school, so the conventional logic is that they will just treat you as an "average" Boalt student, but I'm not really sure how true to form that conventional logic is. If maximizing job prospects is your only concern and you're sure you can enumerate a good reason for NYC, I say bid large CA and NY firms (preferably not the uber-elite) throughout your top bids, with the specific order determined by the relative popularity of the firm at your school.

A lot of mid-tier NYC firms probably do not come to Boalt, but might be interested to receive a mass mail from a Boalt student, especially if they're interested in diversity in their class compositions. I don't know of the extent of Boalt's OCI but my gut would say that the MC firms, Cadwalader, Milbank, etc. probably don't make it to Boalt (maybe Milbank because they have a small LA office?), but firms of those caliber (and on down, i.e. Dechert, Fried Frank) may be particularly receptive. Hence, in maximizing mass mails, look for NYC firms that are (1) relatively large in size, (2) don't come to Boalt OCI, and (3) are not incredibly grade-picky.

Apologies, might have misread the OP.

Return to “Legal Employment”