Rising 3L - Firm jobs in Chi with no SA, no firm experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rising 3L - Firm jobs in Chi with no SA, no firm experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:40 pm

I'm a rising 3L at a school that is not a feeder for Chicago, so my adviser has no idea what I should do to try to get a job in Chicago. I am moving to Chicago when I graduate (Spring of 2014) for my spouse's job. Any ideas of law firms I could apply to in Chicago that might be interested in a candidate like me?

I'm at a T30 law school, and I'm in the top 20%. I don't do journal or moot court, but I do an extracurricular that involves writing briefs that are filed with courts on behalf of pro bono clients. I also do some other extra curriculars, and I'm the president of one of them.

I spent my 1L summer with local gov and my 2L summer with a federal agency. I didn't feel like there was much room for improvement at either job - I never received constructive feedback on any assignments; they always just said that my work was really good and that I was one of the best interns they had ever had. I definitely liked the compliments, but I want to work somewhere where they will help me become a better lawyer.

Any suggestions about jobs in Chicago are appreciated, and firms more so. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Rising 3L - Firm jobs in Chi with no SA, no firm experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:50 pm

I'd help you out but there's basically one Chicago non-IP office coming to UChicago/Northwestern's OCIs and that's Latham who told me they didn't even know if they'll need 3Ls. Breaking into Chicago is hard because there's always UIUC/UChicago/Northwestern/Kent/Loyola people waiting. Is your spouse moving before you graduate? If so I would make some networking connections when you're in town.

Postby 2014 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd help you out but there's basically one Chicago non-IP office coming to UChicago/Northwestern's OCIs

??????

Or do you mean 3L OCI specifically

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:27 pm

2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd help you out but there's basically one Chicago non-IP office coming to UChicago/Northwestern's OCIs

??????

Or do you mean 3L OCI specifically

3L OCI. It's a wasteland

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd help you out but there's basically one Chicago non-IP office coming to UChicago/Northwestern's OCIs and that's Latham who told me they didn't even know if they'll need 3Ls. Breaking into Chicago is hard because there's always UIUC/UChicago/Northwestern/Kent/Loyola people waiting. Is your spouse moving before you graduate? If so I would make some networking connections when you're in town.

NU also has a post for something called Lavelle Law in Palatine, IL which appears to be a firm and is only interviewing 3Ls. Also, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and SEC Chicago branches are exclusively interviewing 3Ls.

There are a lot of smaller firms in Chicago that might be interested, but I think you'll need to do some legwork to find them. If your law school belongs to a consortium or has a lateral hiring contact in Chicago then they may be able to help provide a list of firms that you can reach out to.

Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”