GULC EIW 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: GULC EIW 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
T15%/Main Journal/Moot Court and I'm sitting on bupkis. I only got 2 CB's to begin with (although I'm theoretically on a hold list for 2-3 other firms).

Mind sharing which two firms you have callbacks with?

CB's:
Wiley Rein (DC)
Jones Day (DC)

Dings:
Cleary Gottlieb (DC)
Williams Connolly (DC)
Davis Polk (NYC)
Skadden (NYC)
Hogan Lovells (NYC)
Gibson Dunn (NYC)
Simpson Thacher (DC)
Paul Weiss (NYC)

Nothing:
Simpson Thacher (NYC)
Boies Schiller (DC)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Updating this, still have one CB to go.

Anonymous User wrote:Approximate class rank: just below top 1/3
Journal: International Law
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: no
IP backbround: Yes
Significant work experience: Yes/Kinda
Years out of undergrad: 1
Prestigious undergrad: Top 20 US News (lol)
Other relevant factors (e.g., URM, LBGT, age/prior life experience, military): no
Target markets: DC, NY, Texas
Type of work sought: Patent Prosecution, IP/general litigation
Self-assessed interviewing ability: good
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 1
Screeners received for EIW: 18
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 6 (cancelled 2 of these after I received offer in my preferred market)
Offers received: 1 (still waiting on one CB I've done and one I've yet to do)

~Ragtime Roastbeefy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not at Georgetown, another t14 but also got similar email from chadbourne except mine doesn't say "strong interest", it only says interest... Yours sounds better!

I am pretty sure they mean the same thing haha
Let me know when you hear back though :) I will let you know as well!

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Last edited by Myself on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
T15%/Main Journal/Moot Court and I'm sitting on bupkis. I only got 2 CB's to begin with (although I'm theoretically on a hold list for 2-3 other firms).

Mind sharing which two firms you have callbacks with?

CB's:
Wiley Rein (DC)
Jones Day (DC)

Dings:
Cleary Gottlieb (DC)
Williams Connolly (DC)
Davis Polk (NYC)
Skadden (NYC)
Hogan Lovells (NYC)
Gibson Dunn (NYC)
Simpson Thacher (DC)
Simpson Thacher (NYC)
Paul Weiss (NYC)

Nothing:
Boies Schiller (DC)

Update in bold.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:25 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Updated and I'm done

Anonymous User wrote:Approximate class rank: Solidly above median below top 1/3rd
Journal: Tax
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: NO
IP background: No
Significant work experience: not really significant but names look good on resume, 2 summers consulting, 1 summer i-banking
Years out of undergrad: 0
Prestigious undergrad: NO
Other relevant factor: White male
Target markets: NYC mostly, NJ
Type of work sought: Corporate
Self-assessed interviewing ability: been told very good
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 1 Screener (V30 Satellite office), 2 Callback (NLJ250)
Screeners received for EIW: 25 (21 Lottery, 3 add-drop, 1 networking connections)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 12
Offers received: 3 (2 v100, 1 v25 and cancelled 6 callbacks) accepted at v25

-Blackjack

Congrats.

How're most 1/3rders doing?

+1 wondering how good but not great grades are doing. Seems pretty rough out there

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 pm

I have great grades and am not doing well :( and I know students with significantly lower grades who are doing great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have great grades and am not doing well :( and I know students with significantly lower grades who are doing great.

I have terrible grades and am doing terrible if that makes you feel any better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have great grades and am not doing well :( and I know students with significantly lower grades who are doing great.

Anon from the 11:33 update here, obviously having a similar experience.

The entire process is much too idiosyncratic to allow for generalizing about how any percentile group in the grade distribution is faring; if you didn't properly calibrate your bids to your grades (as I apparently failed to do), you probably got smacked down. If you're bidding on a less competitive market where you have meaningful connections, you still might be doing well even with mediocre grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:35 pm

SRZ offer today callback earlier last week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:06 pm

15 screeners (11 EIW, 4 from career fair) resulting in 1 callback = sad
1 callback resulting in 1 offer = super happy funtimes

top 1/3rd, ACLR, no moot, no real work experience or IP
Offer at v25 in DC office

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Top 10%/Main Journal. 9 callbacks. 5 so far. 3 rejections, no offers yet. Today I was at a callback and noticed the interviewers had my old resume in the front of them (with no indication of journal), despite the fact that I handed an updated version to my screening interviewers. Now I'll always wonder if the same might have happened at any of the three that have already rejected me. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:56 pm

By the way, was anyone else on a Skadden shadow schedule for NYC with both an associate and and a partner where the partner was changed up at the last minute (Associate initials: TL; pre-switch partner: SD; post-switch partner: SA). The partner hadn't shown up by the time my screener was conducted, but I thought the interview went reasonably well with the associate who was there. However, though my credentials were well within Skadden's traditional range, I was dinged almost immediately. Somewhat insultingly, the ding e-mail said that "[The partner who never showed up] enjoyed meeting with you."

I have a sneaking suspicion Skadden just auto-dinged everyone who didn't meet directly with the partner. Did anyone else have a similar to experience to what's described above?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:By the way, was anyone else on a Skadden shadow schedule for NYC with both an associate and and a partner where the partner was changed up at the last minute (Associate initials: TL; pre-switch partner: SD; post-switch partner: SA). The partner hadn't shown up by the time my screener was conducted, but I thought the interview went reasonably well with the associate who was there. However, though my credentials were well within Skadden's traditional range, I was dinged almost immediately. Somewhat insultingly, the ding e-mail said that "[The partner who never showed up] enjoyed meeting with you."

I have a sneaking suspicion Skadden just auto-dinged everyone who didn't meet directly with the partner. Did anyone else have a similar to experience to what's described above?

Different firm, similar story. had a screener with an associate who filled in for a partner that went great, my credentials were above average for the firm, but I got dinged within 24 hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Approximate class rank: Top 33%
Journal: Secondary
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: N/A
IP backbround: NO
Significant work experience: YES
Years out of undergrad: 5+
Prestigious undergrad: NO
Other relevant factors (e.g., URM, LBGT, age/prior life experience, military): White Male/Military
Target markets: DC/Texas
Type of work sought: Litigation
Self-assessed interviewing ability: Good
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: N/A
Screeners received for EIW: 16
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 1 V100, 2 Non-Vault (All Texas)
Offers received: 1 V100 (Texas) and still waiting to hear back from my last callback.

So glad to have an offer. I was really nervous with only 3 callbacks to Texas offices with relatively small SA classes. GL to everybody still waiting!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:45 am

Anyone else experiencing silence from several of their EIW firms? I still haven't heard back from several of the firms, and I'm wondering how many people are in the same boat. Also, anyone still getting call backs coming in at this point? I've been told not to count on call backs at this point, but I could use some hope, even if it's false hope at this point.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else experiencing silence from several of their EIW firms? I still haven't heard back from several of the firms, and I'm wondering how many people are in the same boat. Also, anyone still getting call backs coming in at this point? I've been told not to count on call backs at this point, but I could use some hope, even if it's false hope at this point.

I've still got silence from smaller firms. In any case I'd get mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else experiencing silence from several of their EIW firms? I still haven't heard back from several of the firms, and I'm wondering how many people are in the same boat. Also, anyone still getting call backs coming in at this point? I've been told not to count on call backs at this point, but I could use some hope, even if it's false hope at this point.

Haven't heard back from two firms. Got my last rejection just few days ago.. So, I keep hoping..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Would seem to depend on the firm, at least using my own experience. I had one firm I didn't hear from until last week that dinged most of their screeners within a week of OCI; based on the timing of when they were giving out offers, it seems I was on a hold list and finally got rejected after they determined they wouldn't need to bring me in to try to fill out the class.

If you've seen or heard of others getting dinged, there may still be some faint sliver of hope. If you haven't (as is the case with Boies Schiller as far as I'm aware), it's more likely they just aren't giving you a proper ding. Either way, no harm in starting to mass mail at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 am

Any news from Chadbourne or Baker & McKenzie after callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:52 pm

T15%/Main Journal/Moot Court.

2 CB's on 13 screeners. Just completed my strikeout.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Stats: Just outside of top third, work experience, secondary journal.

EIW: 5 callbacks, seven rejections, radio silence from one screener. (All DC firms.)

1 screening interview & callback from a firm I bid on but didn't get.

Offer from a v50, three weeks (!) after CB. Based on my stats alone, I would not have expected this.

Haven't heard from the other 4 callbacks yet and still have the last one later this week.

Good luck to all still waiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Stats: Just outside of top third, work experience, secondary journal.

EIW: 5 callbacks, seven rejections, radio silence from one screener. (All DC firms.)

Offer from a v50, three weeks (!) after CB. Based on my stats alone, I would not have expected this.

Haven't heard from the other 4 callbacks yet and still have the last one later this week.

grats! DC is tough, you should feel proud you already have an offer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:55 am

How are my other hard IP people doing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Stats: Just outside of top third, work experience, secondary journal.

grats! DC is tough, you should feel proud you already have an offer

Thank you! I feel very lucky, honestly, above all else. I didn't bid nearly as well as I could have, and I did many things that aren't recommended by TLS/OCS (ex: sending thank-you notes after all screeners... it actually seemed to work in my favor.)

Return to “Legal Employment”