GULC EIW 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: GULC EIW 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. No offer. Had three callbacks so far. I was really hoping for something but it doesn't look good. I'm beginning to freak out (even more than I already was) and it feels like everyone else has at least one...

When were your callbacks... your post is starting to freak me out now. I have done 6 now including one today, and don't have an offer yet, and i'm top 10%/main. should i really be worrying

Where are offers out on the table?

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Prosk

I received an email ding from Proskauer LA last week, and heard that at least one Proskauer offer has been made already to someone who had a callback. I believe the offer was within just the last couple of days, but don't know anything other than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else out there who doesn't have any offers yet?

I know several people without even CBs at this point, though several are applying outside of the NY and DC markets where jobs are much harder to come by.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:43 am

Me. I'm also top 10%/main journal, but only got 8 callbacks. I've done 3 already, and have gotten no response yet, but I know others have gotten offers from at least one of them. I'm freaking out a bit, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:all over NYC offers have been given out a quick list I know from first hand and second hand knowledge:

Milbank
Cahill
Proskauer
Shearman
Clifford Chance
Willikie
Anyone else know any to add?

I also know of Skadden and Debevoise offers.

i'm having CC CB(NYC) in two weeks.... bad sign?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Me. I'm also top 10%/main journal, but only got 8 callbacks. I've done 3 already, and have gotten no response yet, but I know others have gotten offers from at least one of them. I'm freaking out a bit, too.

T15%/Main Journal/Moot Court and I'm sitting on bupkis. I only got 2 CB's to begin with (although I'm theoretically on a hold list for 2-3 other firms).

Fingers crossed for SIP - and then let the mass mailing begin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:12 am

snail mail dings from Dechert (Philly), Gunderson (NYC), Kelley Drye (NYC)

(I moved and so these are from whenever they were mailed out since EIW (meaning I don't know precisely when they arrived, my former roommates told me about them last night).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

T15%/Main Journal/Moot Court and I'm sitting on bupkis. I only got 2 CB's to begin with (although I'm theoretically on a hold list for 2-3 other firms).

Good luck, dude. I'm in a similar situation but no law review, so I'm hoping to get something out of SIP too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but how do you know that you are on a hold list? Did they let you know, or it's just you're guessing/thinking that you are on it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Have you been able to identify any factors that might be holding back as compared to others with good grades/main journal/moot court? Something in your background, interviewing skills, answers to specific questions? I'm the OP above who's top 10%/main journal with 8 CBs and no offers yet, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Most of my peers are juggling multiple offers at this point, and I can't really figure out what is separating them from me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but how do you know that you are on a hold list? Did they let you know, or it's just you're guessing/thinking that you are on it?

The claim is purely speculative - I'm the anon who was discussing W&C and Simpson Thacher's NYC shadow schedule yesterday. Since I have heard nothing from these firms, while others have been getting dings, the most plausible explanation would seem to be a hold list.

Anonymous User wrote:Have you been able to identify any factors that might be holding back as compared to others with good grades/main journal/moot court? Something in your background, interviewing skills, answers to specific questions? I'm the OP above who's top 10%/main journal with 8 CBs and no offers yet, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Most of my peers are juggling multiple offers at this point, and I can't really figure out what is separating them from me.

There's some minor stuff firms could seize on if they wanted, but nothing I've seen anyone else ever held back by (was unemployed for a little while after undergrad and have less-popular political affiliations) but in my case there's a simpler explanation - I only bid DC and NY, so I was going to be in a tough spot to begin with, and didn't do myself many favors. I sort of messed up my bid list and ended up interviewing with the NYC offices for a few firms where I would really only fit in with their DC office (or vice-versa - thanks for messing up the "no multiple interviews" stuff, OCS), and since I'm only top 15% rather than top 10% I could see certain of the more competitive firms where I screened with my preferred office simply passing on me (Skadden/Cleary/DPW etc.).

I've only gone on one of my two CB's so far, so I couldn't begin to guess what's going on there for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Anyone who's gone on a CB to Hogan hear yet? length of time between CB and offer/ding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The claim is purely speculative - I'm the anon who was discussing W&C and Simpson Thacher's NYC shadow schedule yesterday. Since I have heard nothing from these firms, while others have been getting dings, the most plausible explanation would seem to be a hold list.

I also haven't heard anything back from the W&C shadow schedule. Have others received dings?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Anyone heard back from Chadbourne NY cb? I got an email from the firm saying they have "strong interest" in my candidacy and they will get back to me in 2 weeks.. just wanna know whether that is basically another way to say im on the waitlist?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:44 pm

Not at Georgetown, another t14 but also got similar email from chadbourne except mine doesn't say "strong interest", it only says interest... Yours sounds better!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who's gone on a CB to Hogan hear yet? length of time between CB and offer/ding?

Not OP but wondering this as well. Any dc offers out there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Odd question, but for those who received snail mail dings from Williams & Connolly, was there a paragraph inviting you to apply for a full-time position post-law school? I don't recall seeing anything like that in my other dings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Also got a W&C ding by mail today. It also had a paragraph about re-applying post-law school. I've had a couple of other dings with similar statements.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:31 pm

Anyone hear back post Kelley Drye call back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Thread has died down again. Please keep posting when you get any news, everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thread has died down again. Please keep posting when you get any news, everyone.

Also if people want to go back and edit their old posts with updated info that would be helpful. And feel like the market is harder this year then last year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:47 pm

Updating this:

Anonymous User wrote:Approximate class rank: Top 10%
Journal: Georgetown Law Journal
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: Law Fellow
IP backbround: No
Significant work experience: Yes (but not substantively relevant?)
Years out of undergrad: 2+
Prestigious undergrad: Yes?
Other relevant factors Prior work experience/older than average
Target markets: DC & NYC
Type of work sought: Doesn't matter
Self-assessed interviewing ability: good
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: n/a
Screeners received for EIW: 22 (10 from lottery; 2 add/drop; 6 from direct contact from firms; 3 from resume collects, 1 from direct mailing, 1 from Symplicity)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 9
Offers received: TBA (hopefully > 0)

- Handle: MrAdmiralty

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Mind sharing which two firms you have callbacks with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:44 am

Updated and I'm done

Anonymous User wrote:Approximate class rank: Solidly above median below top 1/3rd
Journal: Tax
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: NO
IP background: No
Significant work experience: not really significant but names look good on resume, 2 summers consulting, 1 summer i-banking
Years out of undergrad: 0
Prestigious undergrad: NO
Other relevant factor: White male
Target markets: NYC mostly, NJ
Type of work sought: Corporate
Self-assessed interviewing ability: been told very good
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: 1 Screener (V30 Satellite office), 2 Callback (NLJ250)
Screeners received for EIW: 25 (21 Lottery, 3 add-drop, 1 networking connections)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 12
Offers received: 3 (2 v100, 1 v25 and cancelled 6 callbacks) accepted at v25

-Blackjack

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Here's my update, still waiting to hear back from quite a few places, but I'll be canceling some CBs that I hope go to some of you guys.

Approximate class rank: Top 10%
Journal: Georgetown Law Journal
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: No
IP backbround: No
Significant work experience: No
Years out of undergrad: 0
Prestigious undergrad: Yes
Other relevant factors: None
Target markets: DC/NYC
Type of work sought: Leaning Corporate
Self-assessed interviewing ability: Above Average
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW: 1 CB (V10)
Screeners received for EIW: 28 (17 from lottery)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 13
Offers received: 2 V5's

-Marlo Stanfield
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”