GULC EIW 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: GULC EIW 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm

yips wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Grats! I got Journal of Law and Public Policy. Anyone knows how we are supposed to put this on our resume? Do we say an offer was extended or what?
I second this question. "Staff, Georgetown Journal of X, 2013?" Is that too bold? I don't want to do anything improper.
Example from Hoya Headlines:

Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, DC
Juris Doctor, expected May 2014
GPA: 3.62
Journal: Georgetown Immigration Law Journal

If you all have questions about journal stuff or EIW, I'm happy to answer and I know there are a few other GULC people who can chime in here. Otherwise, I'll stay out of your thread :) Good luck!
Hey quick question thanks for taking the time. Do people actually pick up interviews during add/drop or is just secondary market firms? Just wondering because I have an networking meeting during the time that they open and wondering if I should just have someone log in for me if it is worth it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
yips wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Grats! I got Journal of Law and Public Policy. Anyone knows how we are supposed to put this on our resume? Do we say an offer was extended or what?
I second this question. "Staff, Georgetown Journal of X, 2013?" Is that too bold? I don't want to do anything improper.
Example from Hoya Headlines:

Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, DC
Juris Doctor, expected May 2014
GPA: 3.62
Journal: Georgetown Immigration Law Journal

If you all have questions about journal stuff or EIW, I'm happy to answer and I know there are a few other GULC people who can chime in here. Otherwise, I'll stay out of your thread :) Good luck!
Hey quick question thanks for taking the time. Do people actually pick up interviews during add/drop or is just secondary market firms? Just wondering because I have an networking meeting during the time that they open and wondering if I should just have someone log in for me if it is worth it.
People pick up interviews with major firms all the time.

yips

New

Post by yips » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:43 pm

People pick up interviews with major firms all the time.
This is true. I got a few that way. If it's not a big deal to have someone log in for you, then I guess you might as well, but if I were in your situation, I personally wouldn't even bother. (Of course, this might vary depending on how many interviews you already have and how you feel about them.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Anyone been contacted by firms they bid on but didn't get interviews at for shadow scheduling yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone been contacted by firms they bid on but didn't get interviews at for shadow scheduling yet?
Yeah got contacted for one already and that was w/o a direct mailing yet, V5 - I'd rather not get too much more specific

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

estopped

New

Post by estopped » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:01 pm

I did EIW last year with success. It is definitely a large advantage to be gung ho about adding interviews - you can get a bunch more that way. One of them could be your job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Willing to trade--I have:

Paul Weiss (NY)

Cillford Chance (DC)

Looking for V30-V100 ranked firms (aprox.) in DC or NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:51 pm

Anyone know how add drop actually works does a tab appear from the drop down on the OCI tab or is there another procedure on simplicy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Has anyone been able to add interviews? The system is bugging out for me. Also, would anyone want to trade Davis Polk (NY) for Skadden (DC) or Sidley (DC)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:08 pm

Hope early bird add/drop worked out for everyone I ended up picking up 2 more of the firms I really liked. Also if anyone wants to trade:
I want: Kramer Levin, Paul Hastings, Kelley Dyre all NYC
Will trade: Fried Frank, White and Case both NYC and Pullman Comley CT

-Blackjack

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been able to add interviews? The system is bugging out for me. Also, would anyone want to trade Davis Polk (NY) for Skadden (DC) or Sidley (DC)?
For me, it has said no slots available for every interview I have tried to add.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been able to add interviews? The system is bugging out for me. Also, would anyone want to trade Davis Polk (NY) for Skadden (DC) or Sidley (DC)?
Every time I click on one that's gray, it says no slots available. what gives?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:21 pm

it's possible that there is an interview slot that exists, but you cannot sign up for it because it conflicts with an interview you already have

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Want: Paul Hastings (NY), Jones Day (NY), Kramer Levin (NY), Chadbourne (NY)
Willing to trade: Latham (NY), Sidley (NY), O'Melveny (NY)

buttes

Bronze

Post by buttes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:it's possible that there is an interview slot that exists, but you cannot sign up for it because it conflicts with an interview you already have
This is it exactly. Gray box means that there is at least one empty interview, and if it just kicks you out to the list, then it conflicts with your existing schedule.

I just wish it would show what times are available so you could see if it was worth trading out from an existing interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:49 pm

I was able to pick up one interview, all the rest conflict with my schedule. I also dropped an interview that I didn't really want, so I'm back where I started.

For the sake of keeping this thread clean for current and future readers, I updated my first post on page 2 with the info requested in the OP. I'll also be anon-signing my posts for clarity starting now.

~Ragtime Roastbeefy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Approximate class rank: Top 10%
Journal: Georgetown Law Journal
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: Law Fellow
IP backbround: No
Significant work experience: Yes (but not substantively relevant?)
Years out of undergrad: 2+
Prestigious undergrad: Yes?
Other relevant factors Prior work experience/older than average
Target markets: DC & NYC
Type of work sought: Doesn't matter
Self-assessed interviewing ability: good
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW from mass-mailing: n/a
Screeners received for EIW: 22 (10 from lottery; 2 add/drop; 6 from direct contact from firms; 3 from resume collects, 1 from direct mailing)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 8
Offers received: TBA (hopefully > 0)

- Handle: MrAdmiralty
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Approximate class rank: Top 10%
Journal: Georgetown Law Journal
Moot Court, Beaudry, etc.: No
IP backbround: No
Significant work experience: No
Years out of undergrad: 0
Prestigious undergrad: Yes
Other relevant factors: None
Target markets: DC/NYC
Type of work sought: Corporate/Regulatory
Self-assessed interviewing ability: Above Average
Screeners or callbacks prior to EIW: 1 CB, V10
Screeners received for EIW: 28 (17 from lottery)
Callbacks received from EIW screeners: 12
Offers received:

-Marlo Stanfield
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 pm

buttes wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:it's possible that there is an interview slot that exists, but you cannot sign up for it because it conflicts with an interview you already have
This is it exactly. Gray box means that there is at least one empty interview, and if it just kicks you out to the list, then it conflicts with your existing schedule.

I just wish it would show what times are available so you could see if it was worth trading out from an existing interview.
I was kicked out of an interview on a day I had 0 interviews, so this is at least not the only reason. What I did notice, though, is that one firm had a gray box for every office. I clicked on every box, and only one worked - not surprisingly it was a less than desirable location. But it was a firm that was allowing you to interview for any location in any interview. Maybe those firms who don't allow multiple interviews and have multiple locations listed show an opening for all of the offices, but really that opening only exists on the schedule for one particular office/interviewer. So if a firm is interviewing for DC, NYC, Dallas, Miami, Houston, for example, it may have an open slot on its Miami schedule, but it also shows an opening for DC, NYC, Dallas, and Houston because you can interview for those offices. But because the opening is actually on the Miami schedule, you have to click through each to find the secret door.

This raises the question: if I really want to interview for the NYC office, and the opening is on the Miami schedule, but the firm says you can interview for all offices in any interview, is it cool to pick up the Miami interview as a backdoor into an NYC interview? Or will I be sitting with a partner from Miami who hates me because I keep talking about NYC and have no interest in his office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
buttes wrote:

I was kicked out of an interview on a day I had 0 interviews, so this is at least not the only reason. What I did notice, though, is that one firm had a gray box for every office. I clicked on every box, and only one worked - not surprisingly it was a less than desirable location. But it was a firm that was allowing you to interview for any location in any interview. Maybe those firms who don't allow multiple interviews and have multiple locations listed show an opening for all of the offices, but really that opening only exists on the schedule for one particular office/interviewer. So if a firm is interviewing for DC, NYC, Dallas, Miami, Houston, for example, it may have an open slot on its Miami schedule, but it also shows an opening for DC, NYC, Dallas, and Houston because you can interview for those offices. But because the opening is actually on the Miami schedule, you have to click through each to find the secret door.

This raises the question: if I really want to interview for the NYC office, and the opening is on the Miami schedule, but the firm says you can interview for all offices in any interview, is it cool to pick up the Miami interview as a backdoor into an NYC interview? Or will I be sitting with a partner from Miami who hates me because I keep talking about NYC and have no interest in his office?
I imagine your interview going something like this:

Interviewer: So, why do you want to work in Miami?

You: Uhhhhhhh...I like hurricanes?

Interviewer: Get out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
buttes wrote:

I imagine your interview going something like this:

Interviewer: So, why do you want to work in Miami?

You: Uhhhhhhh...I like hurricanes?

Interviewer: Get out.
lol. But I do like hurricanes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I was kicked out of an interview on a day I had 0 interviews, so this is at least not the only reason.
Yeah, same thing happened to me. With one firm, I tried every office listed (on a day I have no interviews scheduled) and I still got the "no slots available" message.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 am

Question for everyone: Are you planning to print resumes, transcripts, writing samples, and references on fancy paper or just regular printer paper?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:14 pm

3L here. Most people put all on normal paper because the firms don't care. However, a few put their resume on fancy paper. I would not bother putting the rest on fancy paper. Good luck folks, hope to see you in my firm's hospitality suite.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Anyone get another good in the second round

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”