Women OCI Interview Attire?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
franklyscarlet

Re: Women OCI Interview Attire?

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Lwoods wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Wear black shoes if you want to wear black shoes. There's next to no chance your interviewers will care or even notice that you have on black shoes, regardless of the color of your suit. If we're taking risk, nude patent shoes are objectively riskier than black shoes, even with a navy suit.

Feel confident in what you are wearing and look put together. The end. It doesn't matter one or two buttons, one undone, side vents or center vent. Every person I know who does banking or firm interviews could care less what you wear as long as you meet a basic threshold of professionalism.

Yes, this. We debate in the fashion thread all the time about the appropriate shoe color to wear with a navy suit, but truly, any neutral is going to be fine. I always opt for black, but nude looks sharp as well.

Though for men, black shoes with navy suit is more than fine; it's the standard to dress it up. Brown dresses down. They have more clear-cut rules than we do.

+1 to all of this. Patent seems to be the only risk involved here. I love patent shoes, but they feel a little too flashy for an interview. But nude or black doesn't matter.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:19 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Wear black shoes if you want to wear black shoes. There's next to no chance your interviewers will care or even notice that you have on black shoes, regardless of the color of your suit. If we're taking risk, nude patent shoes are objectively riskier than black shoes, even with a navy suit.

Feel confident in what you are wearing and look put together. The end. It doesn't matter one or two buttons, one undone, side vents or center vent. Every person I know who does banking or firm interviews could care less what you wear as long as you meet a basic threshold of professionalism.

Yes, this. We debate in the fashion thread all the time about the appropriate shoe color to wear with a navy suit, but truly, any neutral is going to be fine. I always opt for black, but nude looks sharp as well.

Though for men, black shoes with navy suit is more than fine; it's the standard to dress it up. Brown dresses down. They have more clear-cut rules than we do.

+1 to all of this. Patent seems to be the only risk involved here. I love patent shoes, but they feel a little too flashy for an interview. But nude or black doesn't matter.

Interesting. I feel the opposite. I think patent is fine, but nude would be too flashy. To me, it's the contrast in color that sticks out more than the shininess.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:21 pm

echooo23 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Interesting. I feel the opposite. I think patent is fine, but nude would be too flashy. To me, it's the contrast in color that sticks out more than the shininess.

and when it comes down to it, none of this probably gets noticed at all, but we're all neurotic :D

BCgirl

Postby BCgirl » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:21 pm

Wow, this thread seems so inactive compared to the Men's Interview Clothing ones (or is there a new thread somewhere for women that I'm missing?).

I have a basic question - where do you ladies shop for your suits/blazers? While women seem to have more clothing options it general, it seems that for business attire, our choices are much more limited.

These are the stores I've visited lately:
JCrew
Ann Taylor
Banana Republic
Nordstrom
Club Monaco (which apparently no longer carries matching blazer + pant/skirt sets in store)

What else is there out there?

nmic

Postby nmic » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:11 pm

BCgirl wrote:Wow, this thread seems so inactive compared to the Men's Interview Clothing ones (or is there a new thread somewhere for women that I'm missing?).

I have a basic question - where do you ladies shop for your suits/blazers? While women seem to have more clothing options it general, it seems that for business attire, our choices are much more limited.

JCrew
Ann Taylor
Banana Republic
Nordstrom
Club Monaco (which apparently no longer carries matching blazer + pant/skirt sets in store)

I personally like Ann Taylor the most, but I'd add Zara and The Limited to your list.

cocobyrum

Postby cocobyrum » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 am

I invested in a basic black Theory skirt suit. They carry Theory at Nordstrom, and also have their own stores in certain cities.

For tops, I like Banana Republic, JCrew, Madewell, and also Uniqlo. I love Madewell dresses and skirts, because they almost always have pockets. Uniqlo has some great buttoned tops that I love for interviews and I basically throw their wool blazer over my goofy t-shirts to look a little more serious in class.

Remember the student discount! JCrew, Madewell, Banana Republic, and Kate Spade stores all offer a student discount.

Nordstrom also has a hosiery rewards program, where if you buy x items of hosiery (like stupid pantyhose that you can only wear two times before they get holes or runs) you get one free.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:44 am

The best advice I have about this is to not freak out. I know a girl who didn't wear a suit throughout OCI (she generally wore business casual dresses and non-matching jackets) and she's swimming in callbacks and offers - way more than I have with my $1000 branded and tailored suit, hose and all. Look neat and put-together, be confident...you'll be fine. Don't nit-pick on what you're wearing because it's a waste of time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:36 pm

nmic wrote:
BCgirl wrote:Wow, this thread seems so inactive compared to the Men's Interview Clothing ones (or is there a new thread somewhere for women that I'm missing?).

JCrew
Ann Taylor
Banana Republic
Nordstrom

I personally like Ann Taylor the most, but I'd add Zara and The Limited to your list.

My all-time favorite is Calvin Klein. It's great quality and it is made to fit the average-sized woman.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:00 pm

it's so unbelievably hard to find great suits that fit well for women. Calvin Klein allow very little elbow movement and does not fit at all for a petite person. Ann Taylor is basically a joke you need to spend as much money as the clothes itself to get it tailored. Even theory, they don't even have a proper two-button suits with less noticeable buttons. What is the deal anyways I mean ARE THERE ONLY ARMANI SUITS THAT ACTUALLY FIT AND LOOK DECENT ON SMALL WOMEN.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:25 pm

Theory has proper 2 button blazers with normal buttons...and there's nothing wrong with 1 button. I wear either the gabe (1 button) or the "classic jacket" (2 button in a variety of fabrics).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Is Fendi Peekaboo kosher purse for summer at a V100?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is Fendi Peekaboo kosher purse for summer at a V100?

That's fine. There will be plenty of people with designer bags/watches/etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:55 pm

Thanks for answering this. I have an interview with a Art III judge coming up too, regarding shoes, which one of the following is better? They are all low-heels: black Slingback but with a small noticeable bow/ nude Dorsay pump/ normal black pointed toe pumps but chuncky-ish heels/ Normal pointed toe pumps but there is python effect design in the toe area. ( probably nobody cares)

Edit: Also for the summer gig at a firm, is show-toe heels ever an appropriate option? Think ankel strap sandals- Sandals are just more comfortable to wear than pumps for me, they hurt like a mother regardless how high or how low they are.

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:36 pm

I'd probably go with the nude D'orsay heels or the black pointed-toe chunky heel pumps.

Why not wear flats for the summer instead? I'd recommend starting in pumps or flats, and then seeing if anyone else around the office is wearing sandals.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:19 pm

JenDarby wrote:Theory has proper 2 button blazers with normal buttons...and there's nothing wrong with 1 button. I wear either the gabe (1 button) or the "classic jacket" (2 button in a variety of fabrics).

Yeah, I wear almost exclusively 1 button jackets (just personal preference - 2 button make me look like a barrel).

Also I would agree with black chunky heels.

As for open-toe, it will just depend on the office. Nowhere I work has frowned on them but apparently some places still do. Wear pumps (or flats) and look at what other women (preferably associates) are wearing.

patentlitigatrix

Postby patentlitigatrix » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:45 pm

Anonymous Associate wrote:As someone who has conducted interviews, I wouldn't risk pants or flats. I am a young-ish female and I don't really think pantsuits are appropriate for interviews or going to court. You could run into horrible people like me :P

I am also a youngish female, in LA, and agree with this. Black, grey, or navy skirt suit, white/cream/pastel button down or shell. I really would stick with this. Pants are more casual. I don't think a risk is worth it.

Anonymous Associate wrote:Given your height, what about a kitten heel?

Not a bad suggestion. I would try out 2" heeled pumps though (black). They aren't that hard to walk in. If you actually have an injury of course, that is different. Just get a stylish flat is need be-the pointy toed ones tend to look dressier.

I am 5'11". I wear at least 3" heels. Being tall is what it is.

Anonymous Associate wrote:I would go to a good department store re: your allergy-they would know.

Yeah, this. If I had to pick, I would pick skirt suit with no hose than pantsuit.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:04 am

For interviewing, no hose is a bigger risk than pants.

Pants aren't "casual" unless you're wearing them inappropriately tight or capri-length. Choose between pants or skirt based on what looks better on you and what makes you feel more kickass.

I would recommend heels unless you have weird foot problems. If you can't walk in heels, learn. It's not that hard.

Londonbear

Postby Londonbear » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:31 pm

For OCI, I wore a pant suit during screeners and had no issues getting offers for callbacks. During callbacks, I wore a skirt suit without hose, and had no issues getting offers either. I don't think hose or skirt suit is as mandatory as it used to be.

Return to “Legal Employment”